IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lytocaryum hoehnii and weddellianum

PalmatierMeg

I went to the spring Palm Beach palm & cycad sale and one vendor had gorgeous Lytocaryum hoehnii in 3g pots. I'd never seen this species before. He also had Lytocaryum weddellianum in 1g pots. I've tried weddellianum before with dismal results and have since learned they have issues with my sweltering summers and prefer a more temperate climate. Still, I bit the bullet and grabbed one of each species. At home I repotted them and stashed them deep under canopy in my back yard jungle. So far, the hoehnii seems to be growing fine and looking good and may be a good candidate for my heat and humidity as long as it is kept in shade. The weddellianum is still alive and while it threatened a spear pull several months ago, is opening a new leaf. But it has scarcely grown since I bought it. I hope it can make it until cooler weather in late Oct. and be happier over winter. I don't think either species will accept my alkaline soil and will have to spend their lives in pots. Good thing they stay small. Yesterday I pulled them out of their shady canopies to take photos. These are for you, Pal Meir.

Lytocaryum hoehnii, Cape Coral, FL

5b5099b3221f3_Lytocaryumhoehnii0107-18-15b5099d4d1369_Lytocaryumhoehnii0307-18-15b5099c5d54ee_Lytocaryumhoehnii0207-18-15b5099e5a9e7b_Lytocaryumhoehnii0407-18-15b5099f5aea17_Lytocaryumhoehnii0507-18-15b509a1067755_Lytocaryumhoehnii0607-18-15b509a2982666_Lytocaryumhoehnii0907-18-15b509a1e399d7_Lytocaryumhoehnii0807-18-1

Lytocaryum weddellianum, Cape Coral, FL

5b509ae384939_Lytocaryumweddellianum01075b509aef510b1_Lytocaryumweddellianum02075b509aff7d4fe_Lytocaryumweddellianum03075b509b0c91327_Lytocaryumweddellianum0407

• Upvote 5

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks for sharing those nice photos. :wub: The L hoehnei looks really excellent. :greenthumb: The scarce growth of the L weddellianum is imo a sign of problems with the roots: I guess they can’t develop well because the soils drainage is not fast enough. :huh: (Cf my thread on the Lyto that won’t grow.) I would repot it and add a lot of LECA pebbles or so to the soil mix.

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:

Thanks for sharing those nice photos. :wub: The L hoehnei looks really excellent. :greenthumb: The scarce growth of the L weddellianum is imo a sign of problems with the roots: I guess they can’t develop well because the soils drainage is not fast enough. :huh: (Cf my thread on the Lyto that won’t grow.) I would repot it and add a lot of LECA pebbles or so to the soil mix.

I don't have LECA but I just got a shipment of pumice from CA. I will repot it with a mix of that and soil mix. Thanks for the tip.

Meg

Florida

33 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I don't have LECA but I just got a shipment of pumice from CA. I will repot it with a mix of that and soil mix. Thanks for the tip.

I fear that pumice retains the water too long, I think lava sand would be better ……

I have mine mixed heavily with small bark chips. I water every morning because they dry out quickly. They are growing fast and seem to like the heat and humidity.

• Upvote 1

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:

I fear that pumice retains the water too long, I think lava sand would be better ……

I do have black lava rock from HI.

Meg

Florida

Very nice Meg. The hoehnii has a realy nice color on the bottom side of the leaflet. I gotta ask you though what really caught my eye was that ganoderma growing on that stump. Is that palm stump ?

1 hour ago, dmc said:

Very nice Meg. The hoehnii has a realy nice color on the bottom side of the leaflet. I gotta ask you though what really caught my eye was that ganoderma growing on that stump. Is that palm stump ?

It's growing on the stump of one of the wilt-infected queens I took out a couple years ago. Part of the breakdown process. I'm not about to mess with it.

Meg

Florida

Meg, what I understand is that this mushrooms will produce spores and kill other palms in the futute. I would remove and burn them !

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

6 hours ago, Alberto said:

Meg, what I understand is that this mushrooms will produce spores and kill other palms in the futute. I would remove and burn them !

Thanks. I will deal with them tomorrow.

Meg

Florida

Pal Meir, thanks for your advice. I crushed some lava rock with a mallet to mix up new potting mix for my weddellianum. I discovered the mix I had concocted several months ago had turned "mucky" and the palm roots hadn't penetrated it. I will keep a closer eye on this palm in the future.

Meg

Florida

Regarding the bracket fungi growing on the dead Syagrus stumps I have to agree with Trava. Those stumps have been dead 2-3 years. And I don't know even what genus those fungi are. I did further research on genus Ganoderma and discovered there are ~300 species in that genus. Most are saprophytic, i.e., they break down dead plant matter. Out of 300 species only one attacks living palms: Ganoderma zonatum. Those saprophytic bracket fungi are doing me a favor by eliminating the last remnants of my star-crossed queens. And the brackets are only the external fruiting bodies of those fungi. The most important parts of them are within the dead stumps so hacking off the brackets will not eliminate the fungi. They will only produce more. So, I will leave them to their clean up work.

Meg

Florida

Meg you can get the expanded clay balls at any hydroponic shop & Turface MVP at most lanscape shops. Here it's $17 for a 50 lb bag. Mix in some some good pine bark (I use Miracle grow garden soil) and you have pretty much Pal's mix. I have 4 hoehnii's potted in this mix & they are doing great. The wedd's are whimps & I gave up on them.

20180721_174713.jpg

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Laaz said:

Meg you can get the expanded clay balls at any hydroponic shop & Turface MVP at most lanscape shops. Here it's $17 for a 50 lb bag. Mix in some some good pine bark (I use Miracle grow garden soil) and you have pretty much Pal's mix. I have 4 hoehnii's potted in this mix & they are doing great. The wedd's are whimps & I gave up on them.

Here in Balconia Germanica the »wimp« :rant: L weddells :wub: are growing much faster than L hoehnei, if (!!!) they have fast draining acidic soils and – as @Xhoniwaters1 already wrote – (almost) daily water. :greenthumb:

You have a runt... I don't bother with the wedds anymore, but maybe I'll try some more in this new mix.