IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Walking Stick Palm / Linospadix monostachya

el-blanco

One of my favorite palms.... Walking Stick Palm/Linospadix monostachya.  I bought this from Louie Hooper 15 or so years ago.  It does not keep a robust crown like it use to.  Never an issue with this palm and a great grower.  The orchid I attached has been there for some 10 years as well.  It has never bloomed (?).  Has never set seed.  Any of you in Lo Cal have one that has seeded?

JW

IMG_8267.JPG

• Upvote 3

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

I have a clump of this species, it started as three stems, but  after about 20 years one stem died.  Two remain. My two palms seem to flower constantly yet almost  never make seed.

I do have 4 seeds now, the first in 25 years !  :mrlooney:  

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

• Upvote 4

San Francisco, California

I love this little palm but it doesn't like my hot, humid climate. I did buy an adult one from Jeff Searle 10 years ago and managed to keep it going for a couple years but it finally succumbed.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Nifty little palm, and after seeing them in habit in Australia, just had to have one. Found an old specimen that had been growing in a pot for 20 some years and convinced the owner to sell it to me. Planted it out and it slowly declined and died, but not before seeding. I got two seeds to germinate and so far surviving in 1 gal. pots. Hope tp keep them alive.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

They seem to be happier growing on the south coast for me than up in Perth. They struggled up there in summer. My first I ever got was from a nursery in the Albany area. A palmy person not far from me in Albany let me take some seed off his and they all came up. I think this species likes it shady very moist and humid but without any excessive heat. Much over 30C or dry hot winds with hot nights do a number on them. They seem to hate hot afternoon sun as well, so light morning sun is probably best.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

The trick with them is 'no full sun', In fact, no sun at all. Keep the soil moist and cool and they grow well. They are only found in habitat here in the mountains, and their greatest populations are on the higher mountains, where it is substantially cooler than the lowlands. They still grow well here though, and tolerate high temperatures and humidity. Just keep them in full shade in a humid, moist corner of the garden.  My single plant of this species in the old garden fruited almost continually, and the fruit are the real feature of this palm.

Daryl

DSC_5083.thumb.jpg.309a2e49c134d096c6a30

DSC_4195.thumb.jpg.337fe4fd31c329551d41e

Edited by Daryl
  • Upvote 3

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

DSC_4203.thumb.jpg.a42b9ff0eb6c042961e61

• Upvote 2

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

So dark cool and moist to probably wet is the answer then.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Habitat photos...

DSC_6620.thumb.jpg.cc9d1729589d043c10497

• Upvote 2

DSC_6627-2.thumb.jpg.23e7296c423a164d247

• Upvote 5

Great photos everyone.  Thx

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

16 hours ago, Daryl said:

Habitat photos...

DSC_6620.thumb.jpg.cc9d1729589d043c10497

It's pretty dark in there. Gotta plant more huge butressed root trees in the yard and plant the lino's right under them. 

Great info Daryl, just my 2 c...they do occur in the lowlands, there’s some in the reserve at northern end of Steve Irwin Way and it can be found here in my home town in the lowlands but yes your correct, the mountains are rife with them. Some areas Linospadix dominates.

Darold if yours has more than 1 stem ie clumping then it isn’t Linospadix monostachyos (note name change)...this species never clumps.

Edited by KrisKupsch
  • Upvote 1

Mine is correctly named, it was 3 plants in one pot, about 15-20mm trunk diameter.  Thanks for the tip about the species name !

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California