IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Puerto Rican Pampered Feline

Cindy Adair

As many of you know, I am a retired veterinarian. Predictably I had always had multiple pets. However when I made a 7 year plan to retire and move to Puerto Rico I stopped adopting animals in Virginia.

After arriving here in 2015 I realized that there were neighborhood dogs, no way to securely fence my 7 acres and the distinct chance I would need to relocate so did not add any pets.

A few months after I moved to my larger farm here in 2017, hurricane Maria's visit plus plans for travel further postponed adding a cat or dog.

Not long after the Biennial I planned a week long bike riding trip. The day before I met three other members of a PR plant society to carpool to the meeting several hours away. I arrive first at the empty University parking lot, as it was a Sunday at 6:45am. 

The carpool driver arrives and I see a little black kitten run out from under the car! The driver reports that it is a stray kitten from a nearby neighborhood who must have hidden in the engine. As a vet I knew of many severely injured or killed cats from this so was relieved to see the little feline was uninjured. I felt I needed to join the group and did not think of the kitten until our return just before dusk.

She ran towards us from the same place as before only meowing piteously. I asked the driver if he would return her to the neighborhood where she had familiar territory but he felt she would more likely find a home with a student in the parking lot.

Well I know how busy the adjoining road would become the next morning and knew that the chance of a black female kitten (one of many strays in PR) finding a good home was minimal. And a storm was brewing.

That clenched it and she went into a reusable grocery bag in my lap where she began to purr loudly.

You realize I had a flight to catch in little more than 12 hours. I stopped at a convenience store for supplies carrying her inside with me.

Then I kitten proofed a bathroom and she happily went for the supplied food and water and took to the litter box immediately. She decided the sink made a great bed.

IMG_0941.thumb.JPG.2e5d4173e716852f235bb

After pondering my limited options I texted my wonderful next door neighbor who was at my house in 10 minutes. 

He visited and cared for her twice daily until my return, even sending "kitten reports" via texts. 

A friend suggested the perfect thank you gift for the neighbor - a Home Depot card.

So Esme, short for Esmeralda with her greenish eyes is in my lap sleeping right now and my kindly neighbor will care for her when I travel in the future. She will soon be spayed and may be allowed brief visits outside, as I am far from the road and have never seen a dog on my farm. She will be secured inside at night (when the occasional boa) might find her tempting and of course during bad weather.

OK, since I bypass Facebook, here are a bunch of photos ending with Esme on my palm bedspread. 

IMG_1131.thumb.JPG.738cdf020a6a3c6ee5e91IMG_1114.thumb.JPG.3e984be32785bd2340479IMG_1137.thumb.JPG.6c40046f5bdcecd6c997aIMG_1112.thumb.JPG.01a5867b8c17c0d168942IMG_1149.thumb.JPG.1620d6278a26a989171a2IMG_1168.thumb.jpg.e534dd0f8ea97d5807fc3

• Like 4
  • Upvote 16

Cindy Adair

Awwww, Cindy, what a cutie. And kudos to you. She will reward you with years of love. Our long hair rescue cat Lizzie sleeps just like that. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I'm a dog person, but I'm giving you reputation for this post ! :greenthumb:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

San Francisco, California

That is one happy kitty! Not sure who adopted whom in this story. :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Oh, that's a great story, Cindy! :) And even though, like Darold, I'm probably more of a "dog person", I do find cats (and certainly kittens! :) ) very cute! Sometimes things just work out perfectly - for everybody involved! B)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

If I were a homeless cat I would be looking for a soft hearted retired veterinarian , living in a remote 7 acre palm farm on a tropical island. She's obviously not just lucky but also quite smart.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Thanks so much Dean, Bo and Kim for your kind comments! 

Yes, sometimes with all the bad news in the world, a kitten or puppy story with a happy ending is all it takes to start the day with a smile.

A minor addition, I had seven acres before I moved.

Now I have more than twice that space to fill with palms and every other sort of tropical plant that I could only dream of growing in cold Virginia. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Cindy Adair

Sucked in Cindy...but she is a very striking kitty so I would have done the same. I was never a cat person until I adopted my 2 from a shelter.  J ust before xmas I rescued a geriatric chihuahua, even smaller than my tiny Tyson.  I was told she had a heart murmur but after a few days here I took her to the vet to find that she has congestive heart failure and is going to cost me 20% of my  income for her medication. Bummer big time but to see her happy, comfortable and asleep under my bedding is all worth it...I guess. 

As they say in spanish, madre de gato

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

She is beautiful, Cindy...congratulations! Animals of all kinds are such a blessing and such good company! I’m certain you will both enjoy each other very much! You are also very fortunate to have such a kind hearted neighbor!  :D

Nice and cute name Esme. Thank you for adopting her.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Oh, yes, five cats have joint custody of me at the moment. Esme got really really lucky. Just keep the boas at bay . . . .

@Cindy Adair, you might like this website: https://thecatsite.com/

(There's even (relatively sane) political commentary that hasn't melted down.)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks for all your comments!

Esme is doing well in her training of me. 

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

Cindy...please keep us updated...love the Palm embelished accessories.

I see a series here

• Upvote 1

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

I could try to get you to believe that I just staged all the photos of Esme placing her near my only palm motif items. 

1F7E028E-92DC-4D68-B598-765CCC186D1E.thu

However it is really true that kittens are so cute that they get to sleep pretty much where they choose plus it would be hard to find a palm free zone in my house.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Cindy Adair

Wow she's pure black too and not a spot of white. What a sweetie and she apparently had you picked out! Looks right at home. Love her name. 

BTW how are things in your area of PR in general and what about power?

• Upvote 1

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

On 7/17/2018, 9:02:22, WestCoastGal said:

Wow she's pure black too and not a spot of white. What a sweetie and she apparently had you picked out! Looks right at home. Love her name. 

BTW how are things in your area of PR in general and what about power?

Sorry for the slow response. 

I understand PR is down to “only” about 500 people still without power.

Lots and lots of generators for sale everywhere as it is hurricane season again. 

My area of PR is still in need of some road repairs and canopy regrowth and loss of fruit production but pretty much OK.

Esme continues to do well selecting new places she claims as hers as seen in this current photo.

11BDDBD5-FF2C-4DF7-A3FC-E8160C3D272B.thu

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Cindy Adair

I like her reading selection! Looks like a lady of leisure. Glad to hear back on the condition there.

Sure hope you guys aren't going to see any hurricanes this year and have a longer chance to recover.

• Upvote 1

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

She is an Egyptian queen reincarnated. Take good care with her. B)

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

• 4 weeks later...

Look at those eyes! :bemused:

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 7/24/2018, 4:49:45, Cindy Adair said:

Sorry for the slow response. 

I understand PR is down to “only” about 500 people still without power.

Lots and lots of generators for sale everywhere as it is hurricane season again. 

My area of PR is still in need of some road repairs and canopy regrowth and loss of fruit production but pretty much OK.

Esme continues to do well selecting new places she claims as hers as seen in this current photo.

11BDDBD5-FF2C-4DF7-A3FC-E8160C3D272B.thu

Glad to hear things are better there.

Getting worried . . . .

• 3 months later...

Esme does not seem overly stressed about the upcoming holiday season.

DSCN9488.thumb.jpg.f76c5d25673725eb8d892

Perhaps she has the right idea. Rather than worry about finding that perfect gift, should we all just relax and go look at our palm trees or take a nap?

DSCN9489.thumb.jpg.11211cd7347e96fd58db8

• Upvote 4

Cindy Adair

Oh Cindy! She has such a precious, sweet face!! :wub: 

Thank you SO MUCH for rescuing her and keeping her safe and well-loved! I recently saw a special on the stray dog problem in Puerto Rico, which obviously got even worse after Maria. There is a woman there that has a massive rescue ( https://www.scarpr.org/ ) and she does everything she can, but there are still just sooo many strays. People actually drive into the jungle to dump their dogs! I shouldn't be surprised. People drive into the Everglades here in Florida to dump their dogs. :badday::rant: Yet in Puerto Rico there are volunteer angels who go out each day to feed and do a wellness check on the packs of feral dogs. People are incredible in many meanings of the word but it's the incredible-in-a-good-way people that really stick in my memory, and you're one of them! :wub:

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

9 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

"A soft warm pillow and a nap near my human, why worry?" Christmas will come whether we stress about it or not.

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Thanks for the kind words Missi!

So many animals need homes everywhere.

If all of us helped one each year (and that could be sponsoring a sterilization surgery/adoption charity with a donation or adopting a stray like Esme) perhaps we could largely end the problem.

And yes Kim, every year I shorten my previous “must do” set of Christmas traditions, paring it down to what I really enjoy instead of feeling commercial/historical obligations.

So I can try to be more like Esme.

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

Merry Christmas to you and Esme, Cindy.

A few days ago I took this photo of our blind orange tabby Tommy relaxing under one of our decorated rope light trees. He just shoves my knitted snowmen out of his way.

5c1d1809746bf_TommyunderChristmastree041

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Meg

Florida

On 12/21/2018, 8:43:37, PalmatierMeg said:

Merry Christmas to you and Esme, Cindy.

A few days ago I took this photo of our blind orange tabby Tommy relaxing under one of our decorated rope light trees. He just shoves my knitted snowmen out of his way.

5c1d1809746bf_TommyunderChristmastree041

He looks like Tar Baby. . . .

154454-acb53a50c8a61e2c0e9fff30f1bf9396.

4 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

He looks like Tar Baby. . . .

154454-acb53a50c8a61e2c0e9fff30f1bf9396.

Tommy's doppelganger - with eyes! How sweet.

• Like 1

Meg

Florida

Beautiful cats Dave and Meg! Thanks for sharing.

I thought you all might enjoy seeing a useful and charming gift I opened this morning from my kids.

66984E7F-6AC8-4578-88A8-AA4B26A114D0.thu

Esme is curled up beside me as I write.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

Oh, how purrfect is that!?! :wub: B)  What a find!

Kim Cyr

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s Der Baron von Komfy 

0F909715-0081-429D-8864-A55A3DE5A0B7.thumb.jpeg.abbb5b4070e3109ef42703d8f1373639.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Esme does not seem at all concerned about COVID19 and continues enjoying the Encyclopedia of Cultivated Palms, an issue of the IPS publication PALMS and "her" palm coaster.

DSCN1464.jpg

• Like 2

Cindy Adair

Yeah, the kitties don't care about Covid. In fact, they seem glad we're staying inside more, with them.

Lots of laps to sit on, and plenty of fondling.

444526043_TARBABYRECLININGONRECLININGPERSON.thumb.jpg.07f60331ea1c6b000f69d9712d7e90c0.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Esme is showing her excellent actress skills by pretending to be a sweet and always perfectly well behaved feline.

79571B3D-73D2-41D6-9750-AAD71065E385.thumb.jpeg.f5e9d66c6064a92d67f656e0f1c7f4bc.jpeg

She still has no choice except to sleep on palms.

• Like 4

Cindy Adair

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cats seem to live on a higher plane than humans. Zen like…

• Like 2

What you look for is what is looking

• 4 weeks later...

Hilarious! You can watch Cats for hours and never get tired. Their facial expressions are priceless!

• Like 1

What you look for is what is looking

• 1 month later...