IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

: Syagrus romanzoffiana frond question

Rickybobby

Here’s a pic of my 5 gallon queen palm. Why do the fronds sag halfway? This this thing is growing it’s happy. It’s gotten rain irrigation but why do there fronds droop the way they do?

33E2B458-717F-4B68-9A0B-03CD4ACA6112.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Actually don't think that is a queen palm, looks like a Royal (Roystonea) to me. Look at the base and how the leaflets are not in different planes off the rachis like a queen palm would be.

• Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

14 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

Actually that is not a queen palm, looks like a Royal to me. Look at the base and how the leaflets are not in different planes off the rachis.

Really? I’m not disappointed. The day I had to pick my palms up. (Midmay) the nursery has them all lined up I wondered at the colour of the base being green and I thought maybe queens looked light brownish ?

18 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

Actually don't think that is a queen palm, looks like a Royal (Roystonea) to me. Look at the base and how the leaflets are not in different planes off the rachis like a queen palm would be.

Just looked back at the nursery website. Holy crap I may have grabbed the wrong palm. I remember he showed me young queens and I was like shoot maybe I shouldn’t have ordered one. It didn’t looks great at all and when I clicked on 3 gallon Royal Palm man that’s mine. Any other opinions I’m glad I posted never the less 

Downside might be that a Queen might be a little more cold tolerant than a Royal.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Mangosteen said:

Downside might be that a Queen might be a little more cold tolerant than a Royal.

Queens are indeed considerably more cold tolerant as well as able to endure really long cool periods than Roystonea. Overall though, the Roystonea is prettier. They LOVE heat and lots of water! 

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

So this is a pleasant surprise thanks everyone. The day I picked up my palms a young girl was there and was learning. Next time I go I will mention the mistake I’m still keeping it lol

• Upvote 1

We really enjoy the said royal palm next to my daughters water play table. Hopefully we get a few good years from it before it becomes too big. Has anyone raised a palm and then donated them to nursery’s or like our local palm guy who then rents them out or sells them ? 

08251085-7E5D-4333-BEF0-E63C9A4D119E.jpeg

We have guerilla planted a few palms i.e. planted them like a cuckoo plants eggs, for someone else to unknowingly raise..  

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

18 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

We really enjoy the said royal palm next to my daughters water play table. Hopefully we get a few good years from it before it becomes too big. Has anyone raised a palm and then donated them to nursery’s or like our local palm guy who then rents them out or sells them ? 

08251085-7E5D-4333-BEF0-E63C9A4D119E.jpeg

Seeing how you are in Canada, what are your plans for the palm when the weather turns cold?

6 hours ago, Mangosteen said:

Seeing how you are in Canada, what are your plans for the palm when the weather turns cold?

I have a well lit room in the basement that’s y insulated heated and has a humidifier 

6 hours ago, Mangosteen said:

So far so good my palms grow all winter long inside. I’ve had great success. Only mistakes I’ve ever made is over watering I have 9’ ceilings in the house lots of room 

56 minutes ago, Mangosteen said:

Do you use grow lights?

I have tons of natural light and grow lights as well. This year will only be a concern because I have aquired so many. But I will make it work.  No buying them and letting them die to buy more next year. That’s not my intention 

LED has done wonders for indoor growing.  

I happened by Kew when they were planting a new Royal to replace one that had gotten too tall.  I was told it had made a splendid palm salad for a horde of visiting kids.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

I’m 99%more capable than most people here in Canada who buy palms. I will do my best to care for all of them

It’s kind of neat here’s a female gold finch. Sitting on my palm the bright yellow male was beside but didn’t make the pic. The palm is so flimsy but yet the birds love it 

47BC53EB-62E4-47E7-91D2-836F6D7DD50F.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...