IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

So-Cal's July 6, 2018 Heatwave

DoomsDave

Got home, after the car wanted to overheat a bunch of times, running the water like the Bulls in Pamplona.

It's HOT, 114FF (45 expletive C)

• Upvote 4

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

Got home, after the car wanted to overheat a bunch of times, running the water like the Bulls in Pamplona.

It's HOT, 114FF (45 expletive C)

Holy hades!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

1 hour ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Damn hot for you!

Damn hot for Earth

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

29 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Holy hades!

We agree on that much

• Upvote 1

It got to 108 here. 

Currently (7:36pm) 94f

Edited by GottmitAlex

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

That Hades blast on Friday really did one to some plants.

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

That Hades blast on Friday really did one to some plants.

And some cycads as well......

All around the Southland, I have heard of damage from the heat.

• Upvote 1

Here’s my neighbor’s avocado tree.

A7292E18-256F-4D81-8324-5CD06124F0B8.thu

• Upvote 1

Dypsis damage, baronii on left droopy onilahensis on the right 

BF3049AA-F04F-4C1C-A243-B11C4A4B3BA5.thu

One my dwarf majesty palms got scorched...:rant:

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Ravenea glaucas and julietae, and Pritchardtia remota

:badday:

50EA0A82-F228-45F7-AF4C-894E7BBE3F53.thuDBAEFEC0-648C-48FD-82C6-8388B0CD784C.thuE1EDA546-703B-4DB6-AA1B-2FCBB0DA4CF4.thuD8293B00-7461-41A0-9988-BAEBC7E673AD.thuD8293B00-7461-41A0-9988-BAEBC7E673AD.thu

Wow... a lot of damage from the extreme heat!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

@kinzyjrI think a big part of what made this so bad was that we’re in high summer with the sun directly overhead.

Most of the really nasty heat waves we get in California happen in September when the sun is a good bit lower. Still hot, but not as scorching.

• Upvote 1

I hope it cools off for you guys soon, that is terrible!

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Sorry to see that Dave. Looks like you got some real bad damage out there. At least today is only 100. Crazy saying that haha.

1 hour ago, Chris Chance said:

Sorry to see that Dave. Looks like you got some real bad damage out there. At least today is only 100. Crazy saying that haha.

Yeah we can agree 

how hot over in Mo Val on Friday?

3 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Yeah we can agree 

how hot over in Mo Val on Friday?

I would say about 112. My weather station reads high now days. It said it was 123 which I don't believe haha. Either way it's way too hot. Just have to water like crazy and afterwords we should see some nice growth. 

112 is practically Arctic tundra 

I’ve always wondered how the west’s dry heat compares to the humid heat of the east coast. Out west you’re able to cool off easier because your sweat actually works as intended, but the sunshine is generally more intense because the humidity is lower, negating some of that cooling effect. 

Two of my Kentias look like some of those palms after our heat wave here in the east, and they only get morning sun. :(

This July 6 heat blast was something like I have never seen in my 60 years is So Cal. Relative humidity on Friday went from 31% to 13% and my temps spiked at 112F in a matter of three hours; 11am to 2pm. Blowtorch dry heat like that close to peak overhead sun will damage plants. I don't have drip but set my sprinklers to 4 or 5 three minute intervals all day long. Seems to have created some microclimate localized humidity. Ferns took a beating, but palms seemed to take it pretty well, except for Cryosophila and Kerriodoxa which had some leaf tip burn. I have pretty good overhead canopy, so that helps a bunch too! In anticipation of this heat blast, I applied 20 lbs of Palmgain fertilizer around my heavy feeder palms and they are especially happy. Now that the humidity is up everything is pretty happy.

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

Well two days after the sweltering UV massacre, my only B. Fenestralis shows sign of 80% burn and getting worse.

One of my two Rav. H. (Dwarf majesty palms) is also 30-40% scorched.  But the alfredii and all the cocos surfed through this 108F direct sun without any problems.

2 hours ago, cm05 said:

I’ve always wondered how the west’s dry heat compares to the humid heat of the east coast. Out west you’re able to cool off easier because your sweat actually works as intended, but the sunshine is generally more intense because the humidity is lower, negating some of that cooling effect. 

Two of my Kentias look like some of those palms after our heat wave here in the east, and they only get morning sun. :(

Humidity is horrible for people at that high heat but a real life saver for so many of the plants.  During these western heat waves the leaves just burn up almost as if they were held over any open flame in some cases.   

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Humidity is horrible for people at that high heat but a real life saver for so many of the plants.  During these western heat waves the leaves just burn up almost as if they were held over any open flame in some cases.   

^^Second Hammer's statement, Humid air acts as a buffer against the sun, helping to keep plants cooler.. It is also harder for temperatures to heat as much as they can out here vrs places like Florida where humidity is consistently higher. I can't imagine what destruction a week or two of 115F heat, and less than 30% humidity would do there. 

I use my Plumeria and what Erythrina specimens i have left (which the sun hasn't yet claimed) as a heat exposure bell weather.. When the foliage of either starts scalding, i know  i better have them under shade. Even so, in the case of my Plumeria, even being under 75% shade cloth all day hasn't kept a few from burning. Part of this is the full sun exposure yard, the other is how heat behaves when humidity is below 20%.. When in Florida, the only time id start seeing similar sun burn / scald / scorch, whatever on the same plants was on the few days it got hot but humidity was low. 

As for humidity and people, i can honestly say while soupy hot can be miserable, the dry heat here can be just as dangerous in the sense that issues like dehydration / heat exhaustion, stroke.. etc sneak up on you and in some cases, if you experience heat stroke, it can make you more sensitive to the heat. I know this well because i spent last summer dealing with it.  

Even on the hottest days, i never had heat issues when living / working outside in Florida, Ohio, or Kansas. There's a reason there are so many rescue calls from people that choose to hike local parks around Phoenix when it is 100F+ out..  They say, "...But Its a Dry heat"??   ..my !:greenthumb::greenthumb: it is..  Anyway

Dave and everyone else out there, shocked to see such damage, trust me.. i know the feeling.. Saw a thread over on the tropical fruit forum with similar reports. Keep an eye on the forecasts, might be more heat ahead..