IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Any Suggestions? Palm Struck by Lightning Today.... 4th of July

Palmaholic John

Anybody have any suggestions that might save my tree?  My 40ft Royal Palm (Satellite Beach, Florida) was struck today by lightning.  The new shoot/spear blasted apart all over the yard and there's an exit hole(s) at the base of the tree.  Other than that, the tree looks fine.  Does anyone have any experience with their palms getting struck?  Could my palm survive?  Is there anything I can do to aid in it's chances to pull through?  Fertilize?    Thanks.

• Upvote 1

John A.

Satellite Beach, Florida

Photos? Doesn't sound good though if lightning hit the top, traveled down through the trunk and blew a hole at the bottom. That's a direct hit by any definition and happens quite frequently in FL. Most palms don't survive direct hits. At this point all you can do is watch and wait

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Sorry to hear. I'd say watch it. But nothing you really can do. Some palms end up with a double crown from a split and I'm still not sure how that happens!

If it starts "bleeding" from the crown, I suggest a chainsaw over a bow saw.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Royals get hit by lightning often in Florida. Because they are usually so full of water, the electricity simply passes through them and goes to ground.

The spear is not a big problem, there are more getting generated fro the meristem. If your meristem got super heated because of resistance, the palm is toast.

Having an exit wound on the trunk, sounds like there was a resistance problem. The charge existed out the side rather than going to ground.

Without photos and from your description, my guess is that you will witness a rapid decline to your Royal.

Sometimes lightning simply does what it wants.

• Upvote 2

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Sorry to hear John, that was a bad and unexpected storm ystdy morning. I know of two people who's palms were struck, both died. One was a large Canary Is Date, the other a tall Coconut.

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

3 hours ago, Bill H2DB said:

Here is a news story about a coconut palm-house-lightning event yesterday in Satellite Beach , Fla.

http://www.wesh.com/article/lightning-strike-in-satellite-beach-blows-hole-in-childs-bedroom-ceiling/22049621

I saw this on WESH last night and wondered if it was related. Scary stuff for sure!

Thanks for the replies everyone.  I snapped some photos this morning but I'm having trouble uploading them.  A neighbor said he actually saw the lightning strike.  Sounds like it hit the middle Royal near the street and somehow bounced to the Spindle at the corner of the house.  The Spindle's leaves suddenly drooped yesterday afternoon but the Royal's leaves look normal still.  I'll keep trying to upload the pictures.  Thanks again.

• Upvote 1

John A.

Satellite Beach, Florida

Watch it, of course, and be ready for removal.  Trunks rot fairly fast but do provide opportunities for woodpeckers and such.  Palm trunks in general have a lot of fairly weak "filler" between the vascular bundles, which are distributed throughout the trunk--totally different layout from "real" trees.  

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us