IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis baronii( black petiole) germination finally

palmad Merc

Okay

Managed to rescue a few!

Gonna try again.

Dypsis baronii don't germ well for me, no doubt because of my inteptitude.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

45 minutes ago, palmad Merc said:

Seed rot, or plant rot? 

Seed

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

13 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Seed

I had mine in community pots Coco coir seedling mix and perlite 50 /50, constantly moist with bottom heat soil 39 degrees Celsius,popping like popcorn 

I had 11/11 (100%) germination from a RPS batch last year. No added heat, just indoor room temperature in baggies of sphagnum moss. Here’s one in April about 4-5 months after germination. A few have now opened the second frond 7-8 months after germination. A solid grower for me in cool Melbourne, I’m keeping them in nearly full shade for now. 

71C34BDC-C56B-4347-A764-1FE955AA22E5.jpeg

• Like 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

22 hours ago, palmad Merc said:

Hilliard, what is your soil mix? 

In a freeable mix the roots will develop alot quicker resulting in faster development. 

I've got these in equal parts 

Coco coir for pots, composted pine bark fines, course perlite, and hydrocorn (expanded clay pebbles). 

I just used a commercial potting mix that's inoculated with a large number of beneficial microbes. My approach is like 'tough love' with some of these seedlings, so that only the most hardy survive infancy and would have a chance to grow more mature under my local conditions.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

I had 11/11 (100%) germination from a RPS batch last year. No added heat, just indoor room temperature in baggies of sphagnum moss. Here’s one in April about 4-5 months after germination. A few have now opened the second frond 7-8 months after germination. A solid grower for me in cool Melbourne, I’m keeping them in nearly full shade for now. 

71C34BDC-C56B-4347-A764-1FE955AA22E5.jpeg

While I didn't get the same germination percentage you did (congrats!), I more or less used your propagation method on my seeds... except I did keep them on a heating mat until I was ready to pot them.

Dypsis baronii don’t need bottom heat. I germinate mine in winter in a tin garden shed in clear plastic storage bins that might get into the 20C range during the day and single digit at night. I get around 70% germination this way. From 10 black petiole seed I have 7 plants. 

Have germinated lots of standard D baronii this way.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 4 months later...

Here are mine today. Only 1 is showing the characteristic red coloration at this stage. 

20191204_124211.jpg

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

Here are mine today. Only 1 is showing the characteristic red coloration at this stage. 

20191204_124211.jpg

You'll get colour on the others, in time 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josue Diaz said:

20191204_124211.jpg

Nice color!  Definitely farther along than the two I have that germinated from RPS seed, which are still at the two-leaf stage. :unsure:

45 minutes ago, Neil C said:

Merc, can we see a photo of your largest one please.

Regards Neil

1.5 years from germination 

IMG_20191206_165523.jpg

Edited by palmad Merc
Spell check
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Is there any differences between Dypsis baronii 'Black Petiole' in PRS and Dypsis baronii 'Black stem' in palmpedia?

On 7/14/2019 at 1:05 PM, John in Andalucia said:

I finished up with 5 seedlings out of nine seeds sprouted. I can't remember what happened to the four that didn't make it, but I think they were undersized and browned-off shortly after germinating. I was probably a little ruthless too, and threw out a couple of runts! I'm not sure if I'm keeping these too wet, as you can see - leaf die-back appears premature on one of them. This has claimed a whole leaf on one of the five. Do they prefer only lightly moist?

20190714_105043.jpg

I saved my shipped seedlings without a developed leaf yet in a mix of leca, lava, pine bark and a small portion of coir.

On 7/14/2019 at 11:42 PM, palmad Merc said:

Hilliard, what is your soil mix? 

In a freeable mix the roots will develop alot quicker resulting in faster development. 

I've got these in equal parts 

Coco coir for pots, composted pine bark fines, course perlite, and hydrocorn (expanded clay pebbles). 

Apart from perlite and lava in its place, I used same ingredients to save few seedlings of this kind, which endured a 3 weeks long journey but finally the seeds had been  separated.