LivistonaFan

Palm accidentally bought as Areca triandra - Arenga?

LivistonaFan

Hello, 

I am relatively new to this forum and have low experience in palms, especially those for hardiness zone 10 and above:huh:.

I bought this Palm as Areca triandra among other palms about two months ago online and didn't give it much attention. But recently as I saw photos of Areca seedlings, I knew that it wasn't one. Could this be an Arenga, maybe A. australasica (they look very similar)? Maybe something completely different? If yes, this might not be a good palm for indoor cultivation:unsure:?

DSC_0259.thumb.JPG.5ddb834a0cb5ed4ba9557

• Upvote 1

Moose

Hopefully Arenga hookeriana. Arenga australisca gets to be a large broad palm. You would need a very large open air house.

May be too soon to get an accurate ID.

• Upvote 1

LivistonaFan

Thank you, I will post an update on this palm when it has grown bigger. That could take a lot of time, because only one frond developped in 2 months:asleep:.

LivistonaFan

The next leaf has now fully developed:asleep:. (I took the picture with the flashlight to show its glossy leaves). It seems to like the indoor conditions because now it has grown more in a month than in the three before. The youngest leaf got probably damage as the temperatures went down to 2.4 °C/ 36.3°F one night. By comparing the leaves to A. hookeriana's, I think it is unlikely that it is one?DSC_1061.thumb.JPG.950fbaa3ac185b3a1571e

LivistonaFan

I also like that the leaves are very whitish underneath

DSC_1074.thumb.JPG.5de65eea25c7171f915c0

maxum2610

Looks like arenga engleri.

LivistonaFan
13 hours ago, maxum2610 said:

Looks like arenga engleri.

This is what I think as well because it seems to be the most common Arenga. BUT the shop which it is from only offers Arenga hookeriana and A. australasica at this size, which is why I think it might be one of these two. At this size, it definitely looks more like an australasica or engleri than a hookeriana, but I would prefer the latter over the others.^_^