IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm accidentally bought as Areca triandra - Arenga?

LivistonaFan

Hello, 

I am relatively new to this forum and have low experience in palms, especially those for hardiness zone 10 and above:huh:.

I bought this Palm as Areca triandra among other palms about two months ago online and didn't give it much attention. But recently as I saw photos of Areca seedlings, I knew that it wasn't one. Could this be an Arenga, maybe A. australasica (they look very similar)? Maybe something completely different? If yes, this might not be a good palm for indoor cultivation:unsure:?

DSC_0259.thumb.JPG.5ddb834a0cb5ed4ba9557

• Upvote 1

Hopefully Arenga hookeriana. Arenga australisca gets to be a large broad palm. You would need a very large open air house.

May be too soon to get an accurate ID.

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Thank you, I will post an update on this palm when it has grown bigger. That could take a lot of time, because only one frond developped in 2 months:asleep:.

• 4 months later...

The next leaf has now fully developed:asleep:. (I took the picture with the flashlight to show its glossy leaves). It seems to like the indoor conditions because now it has grown more in a month than in the three before. The youngest leaf got probably damage as the temperatures went down to 2.4 °C/ 36.3°F one night. By comparing the leaves to A. hookeriana's, I think it is unlikely that it is one?DSC_1061.thumb.JPG.950fbaa3ac185b3a1571e

13 hours ago, maxum2610 said:

Looks like arenga engleri.

This is what I think as well because it seems to be the most common Arenga. BUT the shop which it is from only offers Arenga hookeriana and A. australasica at this size, which is why I think it might be one of these two. At this size, it definitely looks more like an australasica or engleri than a hookeriana, but I would prefer the latter over the others.^_^

• 4 years later...
On 11/21/2018 at 10:47 PM, maxum2610 said:

Looks like arenga engleri.

Are you still confident with the ID? It has lost all its leaves about two years ago with a low of -3 °C out in the open (it was an experiment). 

IMG_20230326_110420.thumb.jpg.ef1ed848ef4f04f2cfdd8a36b52c3078.jpg

• Like 1

If it was burned at -3C (26.6F) then there is a good chance it is Arenga Tremula.  I have a bunch of Engleri in the ground, none have taken any damage at >24F with or without frost.  But I have one Tremula and it looks nearly identical to Engleri...I bought it as an Engleri before I knew the difference.  Tremula has a significant number of paired leaves towards the base of the frond, like your recent photo.  Tremula takes significant damage around 30F, especially with frost.  I moved mine to a spot with some high canopy, and it was mostly ok with the 28-30ish December and January cold fronts.

• Like 1