IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Yellowish Needle Palm Fronds

phillies

I have a fairly decent sized needle palm that I have growing here in New Jersey. It's growing fine, but all the fronds have a yellowish green color to them. I suspect it probably need some fertilizer. Any recommendations on what I should get ?

Thanks.

We need photos to help us diagnose. Is the palm in full summer sun? Needles prefer full or part shade, esp. in the afternoon. How did it fare over the winter?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks.  I'll get a picture posted later today. It survived the pretty brutal winter with no issues, with a green house cover over it. It was transplanted there last July, from a previous location where it spent 10 years growing in New Jersey with no protection. it does get a lot of afternoon sun but shade in the morning and evening.

It looks sun bleached - sun exposure in the hottest part of the day is worst case. The shellacking it took this past winter doesn't help. As summer eases into fall the sun's strength will lessen and maybe it will be in mostly shade. In the meantime, keep it hydrated and feed it regularly with a good time release fertilizer with all the minor elements. A few doses of fish emulsion and/or seaweed extract will help, too.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

5 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

It looks sun bleached - sun exposure in the hottest part of the day is worst case. The shellacking it took this past winter doesn't help. As summer eases into fall the sun's strength will lessen and maybe it will be in mostly shade. In the meantime, keep it hydrated and feed it regularly with a good time release fertilizer with all the minor elements. A few doses of fish emulsion and/or seaweed extract will help, too.

Got to concur with Meg. Think of the sun exposure requirements more like a Licuala.

In habitat you don't see them in the blazing sun. Especially afternoon sun is rough on a shade preferring palm.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B