Tracy

Encephalartos arenarius x woodii 7 years later

Tracy

I was looking at the new flushes on my Encephalartos arenarius x woodii as they near there full size and realizing how much this cycad has grown since I planted it.  I searched for photos of when I got the plant as a 15 gallon and found the one below pictured still in the pot.  The photo was February 2011 and I planted it within weeks of the photo being taken.  7 years later one of the pups would dwarf the caudex of the original 15 gallon plant.  The third pup is now flushing 5 leaves, while the larger pup has pushed somewhere in the high teens of new leaves.  I'm optimistic that I'll actually live to see this be a large cycad at this rate.  Chalk one up for hybrid vigor :greenthumb: !

20110219-IMG_2145 Encephalartos arenarius x woodii potted.jpg

20180620-104A9692.jpg

20180620-104A9694.jpg

20180620-104A9695.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Palm Tree Jim

Hybrid vigor indeed.

Great cycad!

• Upvote 1

Josh-O

looking nice

Tracy

The bigger pup just came off, which gives an opportunity to see how big the caudex is on this big boy.  It's been another year of growth since the photos above.  I put a 5 gallon bucket in the hole where the pup was removed, to provide perspective on size.  It's chunky!

20190301-104A2597.jpg

20190301-104A2598.jpg

20190301-104A2603.jpg

Palm Tree Jim

Did you remove the pup and pot it up?

Tracy
39 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

I did some arm twisting when buying the plant originally, as it wasn't for sale.  My final closing pitch was that I would be the custodian for the small pup that was on it until it was ready to be removed.  My custodial duties are completed, and the pup went to it's rightful owner.  It has been a win/win.  I got the daddy and enjoyed the pup all these years, and now the pup is big enough to establish and be a beautiful plant of it's own!

Tracy
46 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

The pup is substantial.  Here it is a couple of days before removal.

20190223-104A2561.jpg

20190223-104A2562.jpg

branislav

May I have the next pup, pretty please?!?

Tracy
11 hours ago, branislav said:

May I have the next pup, pretty please?!?

It will be a while before I remove the small pups that are on it today, as in several years.  Maybe I will sell one, or maybe one of my sons will want one.  Time will tell but I'm not adopting anyone :P

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Coasta
      By Coasta
      Hello All!!! 
      I know its early but I am prepping for next summer! I am in Mesa arizona, so it gets hot here.  Recently I have purchased some encephalartos cycads and a Dioon. I have all of them in pots and have zero shade in my yard. I am going to be building a 16×16 shade area next summer and I am wondering for encephalartos what would be your opinion on the best percentage? So far I have seen 50 percent, but wondering if anyone has had any luck with a lower percent. 
      As a side note, I am looking at aluminet shade cloth which acts as a mirror and reflects heat away from the shade structure. 

Thanks for your time! 
    • Coasta
      By Coasta
      Hello all! Just wanted to get opinios on how fast it takes a cycad in the seedling stage to develop a caudex? 
      I know there are many types of cycads that grow and different rates. 
      My personal favorite cyads right now are encephalartos. 
      What is the typical rate from seedling to developing a small caudex for encephalartos? 
      Is it better to pay for something that has a caudex developed or stick with seedlings and watch them grow?
      Also what is the typical amount of time for germination?
    • Alex37
      By Alex37
      Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, I'm looking for butiagrus seeds (Butia x syagrus r.), I live in Italy, is there anyone who has them?
    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have a number of small to very large potted (mostly) cycads. Most of them are from genus Zamia, which grows very well in my humid, subtropical climate, but I also have some Dioon and Encephalartos. The Zamia are species but also hybrids of loddigesii, pumila and variegata. Earlier this year I gathered them together and set them on blocks on our garden lot. There they are coning and producing seeds and seedlings. Last winter I finally planted my largest Encephalartos horridus. And my Dioon edule has grown huge and is putting out pups. Today I took the following photos.
      Cycad Row, Cape Coral, FL, 2020
       v. 'Queretaro Blue' has grown huge and is putting out pups. Today I

• CodyORB
      By CodyORB
      Definitely sounds unusual at first glance, but I dug up this thread from 2016 where user cycadjungle wrote on a successful experiment where a "sex reversal" was achieved on around 20% of E. natalensis by manipulating the plant's specific growing conditions to cause hormone shifts.  They wrote that they knew someone in Los Angeles who owned several clones of E. woodii who would allow them to conduct the experiments once the plants cycled through several cones/flushes.
      I'm curious if anyone else has attempted sex reversals since then, and if it really is a possible method of bringing back the E. woodii!