Tracy

Encephalartos arenarius x woodii 7 years later

Tracy

I was looking at the new flushes on my Encephalartos arenarius x woodii as they near there full size and realizing how much this cycad has grown since I planted it.  I searched for photos of when I got the plant as a 15 gallon and found the one below pictured still in the pot.  The photo was February 2011 and I planted it within weeks of the photo being taken.  7 years later one of the pups would dwarf the caudex of the original 15 gallon plant.  The third pup is now flushing 5 leaves, while the larger pup has pushed somewhere in the high teens of new leaves.  I'm optimistic that I'll actually live to see this be a large cycad at this rate.  Chalk one up for hybrid vigor :greenthumb: !

20110219-IMG_2145 Encephalartos arenarius x woodii potted.jpg

20180620-104A9692.jpg

20180620-104A9694.jpg

20180620-104A9695.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Palm Tree Jim

Hybrid vigor indeed.

Great cycad!

• Upvote 1

Josh-O

looking nice

Tracy

The bigger pup just came off, which gives an opportunity to see how big the caudex is on this big boy.  It's been another year of growth since the photos above.  I put a 5 gallon bucket in the hole where the pup was removed, to provide perspective on size.  It's chunky!

20190301-104A2597.jpg

20190301-104A2598.jpg

20190301-104A2603.jpg

Palm Tree Jim

Did you remove the pup and pot it up?

Tracy
39 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

I did some arm twisting when buying the plant originally, as it wasn't for sale.  My final closing pitch was that I would be the custodian for the small pup that was on it until it was ready to be removed.  My custodial duties are completed, and the pup went to it's rightful owner.  It has been a win/win.  I got the daddy and enjoyed the pup all these years, and now the pup is big enough to establish and be a beautiful plant of it's own!

Tracy
46 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

The pup is substantial.  Here it is a couple of days before removal.

20190223-104A2561.jpg

20190223-104A2562.jpg

branislav

May I have the next pup, pretty please?!?

Tracy
11 hours ago, branislav said:

May I have the next pup, pretty please?!?

It will be a while before I remove the small pups that are on it today, as in several years.  Maybe I will sell one, or maybe one of my sons will want one.  Time will tell but I'm not adopting anyone :P

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• GardnerDylan6a
      By GardnerDylan6a
      Hello, I was wondering if the color of the stem at seedling size can identify which characteristics the palm will have (filifera or robusta)

you can see mine is almost entirely green but with a slight hue of red, where as some of my others are clearly red

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      Two of my top of the list plants in the garden are in close proximity and this spring it has been a race between them and I know what I want to happen.  Above we have the Dypsis prestoniana pushing out an ever larger flower spathe which will eventually open and rain down seeds.  Below is one of my favorite Encephalartos in the garden which has been pushing out a flush.  I want the flush hardened off before the flower spathe opens in the middle of the night and drops the sheath on it.  I think I'm ok on the seeds raining down much later, as the flush will most certainly be hardened off by then.  I've been tracking the pair for a while now, with 3 photos roughly a week apart of the cycad flush and the inflo shot of the Dypsis prestoniana showing overhead photographed last night... which will win?
      Ever have a pair of favorites competing with one potentially dropping something on the other?

• floridaPalmMan
      By floridaPalmMan
      I was fortunate enough to grab some mule palms from Moultrie Palms in St. Augustine a few weeks back.
      Since I knew a bit about palms (thanks to palmtalk), Frank & Elaine showed my wife and I around the rest of the grounds and the work he was doing.
      He had his mules all over but in the special section of his squirrel cage, he had butia x jubeas as well as a dozen of these butia x jubea x schizophylla in which he let us take one of them. 
      If I recall correctly, he used the seeds from a butia x jubea and pollinated them with a syagrus schizophylla. I could be wrong about the hybridization process but I think that was what he said. He also made sure I understood he has no idea how this palm will turn out or which set of genetics will end up being the most prominent.
      But I thought it was pretty cool and figured people here would be interested in following the progress of this hybrid as the years go by.
      It's going to stay potted for now but enough of me talking... here are some pics.

• GardnerDylan6a
      By GardnerDylan6a
      Does anyone know what the overall growth rate of W filibusta is and how it compares to Filifera and robusta?
    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have an offspring of my OP Zamia variegata 'Heavy Yellow' female cycad for sale. It is approximately 3 years old with a 2"+ caudex and is in a 3g pot. The father could be any one of my Zamia sp/hyb male cycads. Zamias aren't as cold hardy as some genera of cycad but I've found them easy to grow and not prone to pests as are some genera. This is the only 3g cycad I will have for sale. See breakdown below:
      Zamia variegata OP hybrid: $25.00
      Shipping = $12.00 via Priority Mail. No shipping overseas. No shipping to HI
      Payment via Paypal
      PM me if you are interested. Tell me how many seeds you wish to purchase and give me your name/address to copy/paste on a mailing label. I will PM back a quote. When you pay, tell me.
      NOTE: Please give me 24 hours to respond. After 24 hours, send me a civil reminder.
      Photos

Mother