• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Encephalartos arenarius x woodii 7 years later

Tracy

I was looking at the new flushes on my Encephalartos arenarius x woodii as they near there full size and realizing how much this cycad has grown since I planted it.  I searched for photos of when I got the plant as a 15 gallon and found the one below pictured still in the pot.  The photo was February 2011 and I planted it within weeks of the photo being taken.  7 years later one of the pups would dwarf the caudex of the original 15 gallon plant.  The third pup is now flushing 5 leaves, while the larger pup has pushed somewhere in the high teens of new leaves.  I'm optimistic that I'll actually live to see this be a large cycad at this rate.  Chalk one up for hybrid vigor :greenthumb: !

20110219-IMG_2145 Encephalartos arenarius x woodii potted.jpg

20180620-104A9692.jpg

20180620-104A9694.jpg

20180620-104A9695.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

looking nice

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 8 months later...

The bigger pup just came off, which gives an opportunity to see how big the caudex is on this big boy.  It's been another year of growth since the photos above.  I put a 5 gallon bucket in the hole where the pup was removed, to provide perspective on size.  It's chunky!

20190301-104A2597.jpg

20190301-104A2598.jpg

20190301-104A2603.jpg

39 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Did you remove the pup and pot it up?

I did some arm twisting when buying the plant originally, as it wasn't for sale.  My final closing pitch was that I would be the custodian for the small pup that was on it until it was ready to be removed.  My custodial duties are completed, and the pup went to it's rightful owner.  It has been a win/win.  I got the daddy and enjoyed the pup all these years, and now the pup is big enough to establish and be a beautiful plant of it's own!

46 minutes ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Did you remove the pup and pot it up?

The pup is substantial.  Here it is a couple of days before removal.

20190223-104A2561.jpg

20190223-104A2562.jpg

• 7 months later...
11 hours ago, branislav said:

May I have the next pup, pretty please?!?

It will be a while before I remove the small pups that are on it today, as in several years.  Maybe I will sell one, or maybe one of my sons will want one.  Time will tell but I'm not adopting anyone :P

• 2 years later...
12 hours ago, Toddccc said:

Did you ever sell the pup?  I might buy it.

On 3/2/2019 at 10:12 AM, Tracy said:

I did some arm twisting when buying the plant originally, as it wasn't for sale.  My final closing pitch was that I would be the custodian for the small pup that was on it until it was ready to be removed.  My custodial duties are completed, and the pup went to it's rightful owner.

I have not removed any new pups at this time.  As mentioned above, that first pup went back to the person I bought the plant from originally, my custodial duties completed on that one.

• Like 1