IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

For The Love of Hedyscepe

Tyrone

Hedyscepe canterburyana are an amazing species of palm.

Enjoy.

IMG_2268.JPG

IMG_2269.JPG

IMG_2270.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 16

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

More

IMG_2271.JPG

IMG_2272.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 20

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

To see them you must climb Mt Gower. Ropes are used on many sections to pull yourself up the pathways that often are rock faces. Coming down you must often lower yourself down backwards. 

IMG_2273.JPG

IMG_2274.JPG

• Upvote 14

Mt Lidgbird from Mt Gower. There are meant to be Hedyscepe and Leppidorrachis on it but good luck climbing that mountain. Shear cliffs on that one.

IMG_2275.JPG

• Upvote 11

Beautiful white crown shafts. Probably the whitest in the palm world.

IMG_2276.JPG

IMG_2277.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 19

Love them - can't grow them. What a beautiful island!

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

This is my favorite palm, and one has 'pride of place' at the entry to my home !  :greenthumb:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

4 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

This is my favorite palm, and one has 'pride of place' at the entry to my home !  :greenthumb:

Your ones are magnificent Darold. A great species for milder, heat absent climates, although some of the guys in Southern California seem to be able to grow great ones in areas that can be hotter than in habitat. 

The inclines on mt Gower are quite steep, so the large seeds can roll a long way down due to water movement and gravity yet they start very abruptly at around 350m altitude amongst the top end of Howea belmoreana territory. Initially the first ones appear as almost totally understory palms at around the 350m mark and they are slimmer. Once you gain a bit more altitude they thicken up and become emergent and that's where they really look awesome with there leaves out in the cool moist sea breezes in full sun. Howea belmoreana seems to stop quite abruptly after that small overlap area too, yet I'm sure belmoreana could exist right at the top of Gower. The Hedyscepe don't stop though and keep going right up to the peak at 875m. I wonder how far they could go up if Gower was still higher like it was millions of years ago when the island was formed. 1200m? 1300m ? Who knows. A fascinating botanical wonderland it is.

• Upvote 4

I'll try to put up a few photos of my front one tomorrow ! :winkie:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, richnorm said:

Are you growing any Tyrone?  Can be tricky even here over summer.

Yes, I've actually got 4 at the moment. Interesting that they can be tricky in summer even in NZ.  I had my lot up in Perth and they were not happy through summer. They'd sort of stall. 30C at midnight and the odd run of 40C days even in damp shady conditions stresses them out. I originally bought 15 seedlings in about 10 years ago that started life in LHI when I worked in the palm nursery business. About 3 or 4 died, a few I gave away and then I thought I only had one as I somehow mixed them up with my belmoreanas. When I moved down to Albany I planted what I thought was my one and only and it's doing well. Then when going through my "belmoreana's" I found 3 more and planted them out. All are doing well.

I think that 99.99% of the time they'll be happy in Albany. Ive never recorded a min as high as 20C in 4.5 years. Even in summer a warm night is 16 or 17C, even if it does end up in the 30's during the day. Summer days are mostly humid (65-70% RH) in the mid to low twenties and nights are in the mid teens Celsius. Winters are around 6-8C min and 15-18C max and damp to absolutely soaking. I've set up the garden to be irrigated year round if I need too. Average rainfall is around 900mm but can be as high as 1200mm and in extremely dry weather 600mm. Everyone screams how dry it is when we only get 700mm down here. I think if kept irrigated through dry periods, shaded from the worst and driest heat periods, the cool nights here will be to their liking and hopefully should get them through.

A fantastic species! It will tolerate very high temperatures as long as nights cool down. I've had two since sprouted from seed about ten or twelve years ago and they were painfully slow as seedlings but they really speed up when adult trunk forms. I'll take a new picture tomorrow in case anyone wants to see them. Last summer they withstood multiple days of 100 F plus temperatures without the slightest damage. 

• Upvote 2

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

4 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

A fantastic species! It will tolerate very high temperatures as long as nights cool down. I've had two since sprouted from seed about ten or twelve years ago and they were painfully slow as seedlings but they really speed up when adult trunk forms. I'll take a new picture tomorrow in case anyone wants to see them. Last summer they withstood multiple days of 100 F plus temperatures without the slightest damage. 

Would love to see. Post up those pics. 

I was lucky enough to pick one up in Melbourne on sunday which will love life in geelong well i hope it does, i have the perfect spot for it i have another 1 going great guns which i got from troy 

Screenshot_20180619-211456_Gallery.jpg

• Upvote 4

An incredible palm.

To date, I have not had much luck growing this plant. :(

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Here is one of my five Hedyscepe palms.  This one is in the front yard of my home adjacent to the public sidewalk.  It was planted on October 25th, 2005 from a fifteen gallon pot.  The stem diameter at that time was about 2 inches, (5 cm).  In today's photograph the trunk diameter just below the crownshaft is 6.25 inches, or 16 centimeters. 

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 15

14 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Yes, I've actually got 4 at the moment. Interesting that they can be tricky in summer even in NZ.  I had my lot up in Perth and they were not happy through summer. They'd sort of stall. 30C at midnight and the odd run of 40C days even in damp shady conditions stresses them out. I originally bought 15 seedlings in about 10 years ago that started life in LHI when I worked in the palm nursery business. About 3 or 4 died, a few I gave away and then I thought I only had one as I somehow mixed them up with my belmoreanas. When I moved down to Albany I planted what I thought was my one and only and it's doing well. Then when going through my "belmoreana's" I found 3 more and planted them out. All are doing well.

I think that 99.99% of the time they'll be happy in Albany. Ive never recorded a min as high as 20C in 4.5 years. Even in summer a warm night is 16 or 17C, even if it does end up in the 30's during the day. Summer days are mostly humid (65-70% RH) in the mid to low twenties and nights are in the mid teens Celsius. Winters are around 6-8C min and 15-18C max and damp to absolutely soaking. I've set up the garden to be irrigated year round if I need too. Average rainfall is around 900mm but can be as high as 1200mm and in extremely dry weather 600mm. Everyone screams how dry it is when we only get 700mm down here. I think if kept irrigated through dry periods, shaded from the worst and driest heat periods, the cool nights here will be to their liking and hopefully should get them through.

Problems seem to start well into trunking size.  I thought this species was a breeze in my garden but my biggest in full sun is starting to show summer stress.  I have seen this happen in another garden too.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

Here is one of my five Hedyscepe palms.  This one is in the front yard of my home adjacent to the public sidewalk.  It was planted on October 25th, 2005 from a fifteen gallon pot.  The stem diameter at that time was about 2 inches, (5 cm).  In today's photograph the trunk diameter just below the crownshaft is 6.25 inches, or 16 centimeters. 

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

Darold, that palm is drop dead gorgeous. It certainly earns its place of honor in your yard.

• Upvote 3

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Here's one of my 12 year old Hedescepe. It's tolerated quite a bit of weather fluctuations from searing 100 degree heat to light frost. It enjoys very moist soil year round. image.thumb.jpeg.da20bdb9da69fbb2adcb551image.thumb.jpeg.42754addcf246d3d8c131b1

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

1 hour ago, Darold Petty said:

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

Looks fantastic Darold! 

• Like 1

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

4 hours ago, richnorm said:

Problems seem to start well into trunking size.  I thought this species was a breeze in my garden but my biggest in full sun is starting to show summer stress.  I have seen this happen in another garden too.

That's very interesting. None of my Hedyscepe are in full sun. Your experiences are really good info. Mine are in bright dappled light.

I want to start a cloud forest area with dedicated misters for warm to hot days. If I can get some Hedyscepe in there complete with mosses and ferns they may like it.

5 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

Fantastic entryway, and I'm sure very unusual for your neighborhood Darold!  I lost a pair in the current garden, but need to check on the other two growing in my rental's backyard.  I used belmoreana's in a planter just above and west of one of them as shade.  Perhaps they liked the clay soils in Carlsbad which hold water better than my sandy Leucadia soil, or perhaps it was placement.  Whatever it was, I have two living and two dead.  Great gallery of habitat.  Would love to get down to New Caledonia sometime.... I could palm it up and get some kite surfing in on the same trip!

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 20/06/2018, 2:13:17, Darold Petty said:

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

Darold thats a beautiful specimen grown to perfection.

• Upvote 2

More pics

IMG_2278.JPG

IMG_2279.JPG

IMG_2276.JPG

• Upvote 8

More

IMG_2281.JPG

IMG_2282.JPG

IMG_2283.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 10

Some more

IMG_2685.JPG

IMG_2285.JPG

IMG_2286.JPG

• Upvote 9

Hedyscepe complete with bird.

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Upvote 10

Major sploosh. Perhaps the most beautiful palm we can grow in California! Thanks for sharing.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2018, 4:39:37, Darold Petty said:

LETS see an up dated picture please Darold

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

On 6/20/2018, 4:13:17, Darold Petty said:

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

Fantastic Darold and i cant believe how much it has grown in 5 years exactly it was not trunking back then

if you scroll down you can see your Hedyscepe 5 yrs ago

Awesome pictures Tyrone

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Very nice habitat pics. Thanks for sharing. I cannot wait until my seed grown palms will look somewhat like this.

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

• 9 months later...

Amazing palms... Thought I'd post a photo of this very tall Hedyscepe I took while driving on the Auckland motorway. Looks like it's growing well there.

hedy.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, PalmCode said:

Amazing palms... Thought I'd post a photo of this very tall Hedyscepe I took while driving on the Auckland motorway. Looks like it's growing well there.

hedy.jpg

Wow, wow, wow. Look how tall it is.

• Like 1

That Auckland Hedyscepe is just nuts !!  :mrlooney:

I don't remember seeing any so tall on Mt. Gower !  :greenthumb:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

That Auckland Hedyscepe is just nuts !!  :mrlooney:

I don't remember seeing any so tall on Mt. Gower !  :greenthumb:

Neither do I. They love NZ.

23 hours ago, PalmCode said:

hedy.jpg

I remember seeing this one when I visited last year and initially thought that it couldn’t be a Hedyscepe just randomly growing next to a motorway. It would be impossible pretty much anywhere on the Australian mainland but they love the NZ north island from what I saw, some of the most impressive specimens I’ve seen. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

that tall palm is a transplant that was originally more inner city Auckland-current owners brought it maybe 20yrs ago now and moved it twice.I use toget seed off it 25yrs ago and needed a 30ft ladder

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Gary said:

that tall palm is a transplant that was originally more inner city Auckland-current owners brought it maybe 20yrs ago now and moved it twice.I use toget seed off it 25yrs ago and needed a 30ft ladder

Very cool! I'ts had an interesting life then, still growing strong.