IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Who is doing the "splits"?

Tracy

Some still young Dypsis are doing the splits right now in my garden.  My Dypsis crinita split once already into two trunks, and one of them is in the process of doing it again as you can see in the photo.  The other is a Dypsis onilahensis hybrid.  I don't like the base of the left side of the trunk when examined close, but when one steps back the plant looks great.  One of the other doinkers that came out from the base is splitting on the hybrid as well.  With the two spits on that and subterranean trunks emerging, its already up to 5 trunks in about 18 months from two when I acquired and planted it.

So what's doing the splits in your garden???  Some other genus's as well as Dypsis species would be interesting to see.

20180614-104A9641.jpg

20180614-104A9642.jpg

20180614-104A9643.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 7

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Not in my garden but had to take a pic because I thaught it was amazing 

20180613_120834.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 7

Tracy, the climate in Leucadia must be very favourable for your palms. I am on the line, in contrast to common belief, that clustering palms expand when conditions are close to ideal and not the other way around. A struggling palm stays rather solitary as long as it is needed for its establishment concentrating its resources to this purpose.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

14 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

20180613_120834.jpg

Impressive!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, akamu said:

D. Lanceolata split behind the D Ambositrae

I missed that until you pointed it out.  I was just too focused the first time on the D ambositrae. 

Zombia antillarum - kind of like a spiny Coccothrinax.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

1529189469639.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

18 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Tracy, the climate in Leucadia must be very favourable for your palms. I am on the line, in contrast to common belief, that clustering palms expand when conditions are close to ideal and not the other way around. A struggling palm stays rather solitary as long as it is needed for its establishment concentrating its resources to this purpose.

I had never contemplated whether the number in a cluster correlated to whether the palms are struggling or thriving.  Your logic makes perfect sense though.  It doesn't seem as though a struggling palm would have excess energy to put into pushing out new shoots, whereas a palm in a better situation would be more likely to have excess energy to use on new shoots.  You get my vote of support on the hypothesis until someone actually does some experiments with controls. :greenthumb:

2 hours ago, aztropic said:

Zombia antillarum

Very nice!  I like the nice pleats and colors of both underside and topside of the leaves!

• Upvote 1

Sometimes you get some leaves that get a little deformed as they are being pushed out.  The second leaf in the split of my Dypsis crinita is a perfect example.  It wasn't apparent yet when I took the original photo, but as the leaf kept pushing this is what I see.

20180620-104A9697.jpg

My little Dypsis bef pushed a very unusual leaf prior to the upcoming split.  It literally split about half way up the rachis.  The petiole and half of the rachis is shared, but then splits into two rachis.  Where the rachis is shared, the result is three sets of leaflets, with the centerline resembling a Mohawk hairdo the way it sticks up.  This was a new one on me, but perhaps others have seen similar things.

20180621-104A9707.jpg

20180621-104A9708.jpg

20180621-104A9709.jpg

20180621-104A9712.jpg

20180621-104A9713.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 6/15/2018, 5:12:33, John hovancsek said:

20180613_120834.jpg

that's rad!!

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Very interesting. I don't think I have any to add but am enjoying the photos! Thanks!

Cindy Adair

Allagoptera doing right now the split. In the first picture you may see two spears growing parallel to each other and at some distance (second spear can be seen behind the crossing petiole of another Allagoptera), an indication that in short there going to be two stems. Two last pictures show same plant from the opposite angle. 

IMG_20180624_132444.thumb.jpg.88d4b7d9afIMG_20180624_132518.thumb.jpg.66f9b162b9IMG_20180624_132536.thumb.jpg.2907bff364

Edited by Phoenikakias
  • Upvote 4

• 1 month later...

My Dypsis onilahensis (orig. from Phil/JM) surprised me this summer with the emergence of a new stem. I hadn't realized they would do that at this size. Looking forward now to more such developments! :D

Dypsis-1.png

Dypsis-2.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Hillizard said:

My Dypsis onilahensis (orig. from Phil/JM) surprised me this summer with the emergence of a new stem. I hadn't realized they would do that at this size. Looking forward now to more such developments! :D

You can probably expect more of the same.  My original post was this Dypsis onilahensis hybrid, which has continued to sprout from all three of the original trunks.  Each is in a different phase of the process, but my best estimate is that the runk in the foreground to the right is about what yours will look like as far as how high up the trunk it is occurring.

20180806-104A0221.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Just noticed ystdy, my Zombia looks like it’s doing the splits. 

FF6859F7-12E7-469A-ADE0-85DCD025E62D.jpeg

06FEC4F1-B1BF-4E1E-A5D4-767600FFC1BB.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes we don't want our palms to split.  I have two Dypsis decipiens, one which was a double when I acquired it, and the other a single.  The single has far outpaced the double, which is why I didn't really want the single to split.  I realized that I would not be so lucky to have a single, but I didn't expect that they would both split.  Now I see that I will have a triple (my double is splitting), and a double.  I just hope that as they are both now a little larger that this won't set them back to the slooooww as molasses pace.

The interesting split is on one of the leaves of the double where it is splitting half way up the rachis on the current open leaf, and then pushing two distinct spears.  First that double which has gone to a triple Dypsis decipiens.

20180819-104A0286.jpg

20180819-104A0287.jpg

..... and now the single Dypsis decipiens which is splitting into a double.

20180819-104A0282.jpg

20180819-104A0283.jpg

• Upvote 3

Hey Tracy, I'll be curious to hear how these perform after splitting. I had a very fast decipiens in Fallbrook that opened 7 leaves a year!   It was about 6 feet tall when it split and it really slowed it down.  It split into two with the larger of the two being the more original plant. But that eventually had its spear pull so I cut it off at the base  which only left the smaller of the 2. Seemed to grow just fine after that, but never got fast again. Strange. 

• Upvote 1

Just noticed another palm starting the splitting process. This is a Dypsis mystery. Looks like a colorful Dypsis Bef. 

IMG_1055.thumb.JPG.33aa83562452193ca1ad9

• Upvote 2

IMG_6001.JPG

• Upvote 1

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

2 hours ago, palmislandRandy said:

IMG_6001.JPG

Randy, based on what we can see, I'm going to guess this is Dypsis baronii?  Do tell....

8 hours ago, Tracy said:

Randy, based on what we can see, I'm going to guess this is Dypsis baronii?  Do tell....

Yup, I've had this doing well in a pot for at least 10 years. I'm afraid to put it in the ground!

-Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

2 hours ago, palmislandRandy said:

Yup, I've had this doing well in a pot for at least 10 years. I'm afraid to put it in the ground!

-Randy

IMG_6346.JPG

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

My jubaeopsis started throwing double spears this summer. It now has 4 spears coming in at once, from what appear to be two separate growth points. 

20181018_082902.jpg

20181017_131231.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, Matt in OC said:

Wow! How big was that Bef when you planted it @Hilo Jason?

It was a large 5 gallon.  Grown in the shade so it was a bit stretched.  So the new fronds have been shorter, but it's since split and is getting thicker now. 

IMG_0005.thumb.JPG.86c224f35336d2f1f6c8b

• Upvote 1

Here's another palm in my garden that is doing the splits in a big way.  This is a Dypsis Albofarinosa hybrid.  This was in a 4" pot just over 1 year ago.  I wish I had a picture of it when I first planted it, seems like I didn't take one.  But imagine a 1 gallon size clumping type Dypsis.  About 1 year later, it's splitting and clumping like crazy and getting some cool coloring on it.   I'm looking forward to seeing what this grows into. 

IMG_1344.thumb.JPG.e786ceb3f7a0f15af47b5

IMG_1338.thumb.JPG.0ea8e96a32e2587c3fec6

IMG_1342.thumb.JPG.2fde6f95d61370e287d49

IMG_1341.thumb.JPG.48a29da49ae5ead0ad683

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 6/16/2018, 6:35:20, Tracy said:

I had never contemplated whether the number in a cluster correlated to whether the palms are struggling or thriving.  Your logic makes perfect sense though.  It doesn't seem as though a struggling palm would have excess energy to put into pushing out new shoots, whereas a palm in a better situation would be more likely to have excess energy to use on new shoots.  You get my vote of support on the hypothesis until someone actually does some experiments with controls. :greenthumb:

On 6/15/2018, 11:39:28, Phoenikakias said:

I am just now looking at this thread and I think it is a bit dependant on the palm. I would concur on the decipiens.. I have heard from several that went to see D.d in habit that clumping/multiples are rare. 

On the other hand my "single" Dypsis sp.bef/slick willy is just the opposite and not struggling at all. On the contrary, the trunk is close to a foot across at the base.. or at least 10 inches and flowered and producing seeds.. not sure if viable yet.. but looking pretty good! I am convinced it has grown so fast and well because it DID NOT clump!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Updated split pic of this Dypsis mystery that I have.  It looks like a Dypsis Sp. Bef with a touch more color and fuzz than usual.  

IMG_1365.thumb.JPG.a92d3f33e4980dc1e929d

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Hilo Jason said:

Updated split pic of this Dypsis mystery that I have.  It looks like a Dypsis Sp. Bef with a touch more color and fuzz than usual.  

IMG_1365.thumb.JPG.a92d3f33e4980dc1e929d

Could it be heteromorpha? I can't remember if they have a heel. Gorgeous whatever it is!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

8 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Could it be heteromorpha? I can't remember if they have a heel. Gorgeous whatever it is!!

I don't think so.  Looks quite a bit different that Heteromorpha.  It really does look just like a Sp. Bef (and splitting like it too), just with some more color on it.  Bought it from Floribunda and it had "Sp. Bef" written on the tag, crossed out and then "Ambositrae" written next to the crossed out name.  So maybe Jeff and Suchin weren't even quite sure about it! 

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

The leaf base from the point of splitting came off recently on one of my palms and I was particularly fascinated by the shared leaf base.  I guess I'm easily entertained.

20190905-104A4750.jpg

20190905-104A4751.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1