IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Florida SE Rainy Season 2018

Matthew92

Just thought I'd create a thread for anyone who wants to share their rainfall situation this season. I had FL mainly in mind, but if anyone from the Southeast or even somewhere else wants to share that's fine too.

I just got a strong pop up storm that wasn't weakening or only sideswiping my location (which most of them have been so far). I love it. Classic summer storm: got a little of everything: wind, lightning, about 1.3 inches of rain. I wouldn't want to live somewhere that doesn't get storms like this.

5b1eb98a6295e_Screenshot(60).thumb.png.4

Nearly 15" in May, 3.5" so far in June.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

We didn't just set a record in May, we smashed it.  17.86" according to News Channel 8, 19.19" according to weather.gov.  The other link is to our local paper days before the record was surpassed.

http://www.wfla.com/weather/may-rainfall-records-shattered-in-some-tampa-bay-areas/1211032086

https://www.weather.gov/media/tbw/topnews/May_Spring2018_final.pdf

http://www.theledger.com/news/20180530/17-days-of-downpours-may-2018-setting-rainfall-record-in-lakeland

June so far 1.62" according to weather.com

201806120020_JuneRain.png

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

That's impressive kinzyjr! Interestingly, when I've checked the radar statewide the last few days, it seems like there hasn't been much widespread daytime t-storm development over the peninsula. I wonder why.

I've been getting a thunderstorm every day (each one bringing at least an inch of rain) since my original post. And last night I got one in the middle of the night with some close lightning. Nighttime convective storms are somewhat rare here, but the worst lightning storm I've seen came from one back in 2007. It was a single cell that sat stationary over town with extremely close lightning for about 30-45 minutes. Here's a clip I took of one of the bolts from that storm.

We more than doubled our may average of 4-5in for the month reports are from 9.5-15+. Some parts of the state got more more than double the months rain in a matter of a few hours...AKA Ellicott City got 10in in one short storm while we got 6-8 depending on where in my town. We seemed to have slowed down a hair on the amount of rain the past few days, but have still far surpassed the average 4in for the month of June and that was a week or so ago when that was reported. 

Lets just say my hand watering has been put on hold for a while as this red clay aint letting any water go. 

Edited by mdsonofthesouth
  • Upvote 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

We had 2" more a couple of nights ago. Had a brief shower earlier today, just enough to ramp up the swelter.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

5 hours ago, Opal92 said:

That's impressive kinzyjr! Interestingly, when I've checked the radar statewide the last few days, it seems like there hasn't been much widespread daytime t-storm development over the peninsula. I wonder why.

I've been getting a thunderstorm every day (each one bringing at least an inch of rain) since my original post. And last night I got one in the middle of the night with some close lightning. Nighttime convective storms are somewhat rare here, but the worst lightning storm I've seen came from one back in 2007. It was a single cell that sat stationary over town with extremely close lightning for about 30-45 minutes. Here's a clip I took of one of the bolts from that storm.

We had a few dry days, but yesterday was a monsoon here starting around 8PM.  I'm already hearing thunder outside, so we'll probably get more today.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

• 3 weeks later...

Had a pretty nasty one today.  The wind blew so hard it snapped a bambusa oldhamii reed in half.

20180703_174326.jpg

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

After the 2" on June 14 we got nada the rest of June which balances out the rainfall bonanza in May and put us behind for the year. Daylong scorching sun and no rain relief is a real garden buzzkill. I had to go back to handwatering to help tender stuff survive. So far through July 3 we've had nearly 3" with more expected today.

Meg

Florida

Been raining almost daily here. Grass is growing way too much out on my swale, can't go longer than a week to mow. Grows at least one inch per day, and I don't fertilize it.

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

22 minutes ago, Moose said:

Been raining almost daily here. Grass is growing way too much out on my swale, can't go longer than a week to mow. Grows at least one inch per day, and I don't fertilize it.

I'm in the same boat.  If I actually mowed my grass each time it needed it, I would mow every 3 days.

Lakeland, FL

I got to hit the window when the overnight dew evaporates and the rain starts. I use a mulching mower that clogs easily when the grass is wet

BBQ'd yesterday, fed about 150 people, under a pop up shade, heat and humidity was brutal, working the grill 4.5 hours

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Only 1.41” here over the last 30 days, most of it falling on a single day and quickly evaporating. I’ve been hand-watering everything in clay pots nonstop, plastic pots every 2-3 days.  All this humidity (dew points near 80) has produced very little, if any rainfall.

It got up to 99 degrees the other day with a heat index of 115, hot enough to wake my stubborn Sabal “Louisiana” out of its slumber, while drying the tips of my (formerly 100% green) Licuala grandis which is in bright shade. We need a day of drenching rains.

Got another 3.3" yesterday - July total up to nearly 5.5". That's half the average monthly total for July in 4 days. I just hope we don't spiral into another mini-drought. At least the rain clouds aren't bypassing me to go inland like they do early in rainy season.

Meg

Florida

10 hours ago, Moose said:

I got to hit the window when the overnight dew evaporates and the rain starts. I use a mulching mower that clogs easily when the grass is wet

BBQ'd yesterday, fed about 150 people, under a pop up shade, heat and humidity was brutal, working the grill 4.5 hours

The sweet spot in that window is to be parking the mower when the first drop of rain hits the driveway. ;)  Standing next to a grill for almost 5 hours yesterday... I tip my cap to you, sir!

5 hours ago, cm05 said:

Only 1.41” here over the last 30 days, most of it falling on a single day and quickly evaporating. I’ve been hand-watering everything in clay pots nonstop, plastic pots every 2-3 days.  All this humidity (dew points near 80) has produced very little, if any rainfall.

It got up to 99 degrees the other day with a heat index of 115, hot enough to wake my stubborn Sabal “Louisiana” out of its slumber, while drying the tips of my (formerly 100% green) Licuala grandis which is in bright shade. We need a day of drenching rains.

That's pretty darn hot that far north.  Imagine pulling weeds and mowing the yard in this:

20180610_160914.jpg

Lakeland, FL

• 2 weeks later...

After 3" additional this week, I'm closing in on 30" of rain since May 1 south Orlando. Soil temp is 86, avg air temp 93/75, and dewpoints hanging around 77. While the plants are in hulk mode, so are the mosquitos!

• Upvote 1

Having a mini-drought here on the Isabel Canal. Chances of rain most of the week have been ~20%. Any rain clouds have headed inland. Heat and humidity haven't budged an inch. And the sun sucks up all lingering moisture quickly. I will probably have to hand water the container gardens and jungle as we don't get irrigation again till midnight Sunday. However, forecasted rain chances are up to 60% starting Sat. and through next week. We'll see.

Meg

Florida

Still getting rain almost daily.  The Jamaican Talls are just loving this.  One good side effect of it being overcast so much during the day is the high temperature staying at or below 90F.

Lakeland, FL

The mini drought is broken, at least for now.  The clouds are indeed a blessing.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

We set another record this year, and not by a small margin.  We've had 54.37 inches so far this year vs. 47.51 inches for the previous record for end of July rainfall set in 1959:

http://www.theledger.com/news/20180731/rainfall-sets-half-year-record-in-lakeland

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

• 1 month later...

First day of fall this week. I guess Florida doesn't play by the rules. Pretty steamy at 11 PM even by our standards. A guy a mile from me has a soil thermometer and it is currently 87F. Optimal for tropical plant growth. 

Screenshot_20180914-225141_Chrome.jpg

2 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

First day of fall this week. I guess Florida doesn't play by the rules. Pretty steamy at 11 PM even by our standards. A guy a mile from me has a soil thermometer and it is currently 87F. Optimal for tropical plant growth. 

Screenshot_20180914-225141_Chrome.jpg

Same in northwest FL at 12.25 am. 

002B59D2-7CCB-4DC6-B7CB-E9581ADB475B.png

Edited by Estlander

• 1 month later...

Some days you find one little dot on the radar map and realize "That's where I live!"  Truly the definition of "isolated T-Storms"

201811082130_IsolatedTStorm.png

Lakeland, FL

Got almost 2" of rain in two storms just this week. Temps still above average but I know eventually arctic cold will lower the boom to balance that out.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

• 1 month later...

Looks like most of Central Florida ended up with close to 60 inches of rain this year.  We fell a little short of the record in 2004 according to these stats, but that's not surprising considering we had 3 major hurricanes that year:

https://www.theledger.com/news/20190104/rainfall-total-for-2018-highest-of-decade-in-polk

Lakeland, FL