IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Why I love Kentiopsis piersoniorum

BS Man about Palms

Well, Since theres not much to do but watch it grow, I'm happy with that. *I Think* the spear you see in post #27 is actually the frond of the "right" of this pic. It pushes about a frond every 6-8 months. It is getting stouter now.

Nothing like time lapse!! :drool: :drool:

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

• 5 months later...

Heres an update to show you what 6 months of winter So Cal growth net you. But, so far its bulking up OK. You can see my shoe in one pic for reference.

post-27-1239492470_thumb.jpg

post-27-1239492531_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 2 months later...

Well, I think I should update this thread. You may want to read my "discovery" not long after the last post. :rage:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...amp;hl=sow+bugs

My update/question starts on post #17 and the short story was that pill bugs/roly polys, etc. were chowin down on my K P and trying to kill it!! :angry:

Here is a pic of it soon after planting it out front about a year ago. (on the left)

post-27-1246826210_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I think I was too embarrassed to post a pic of its "low point" or apparently did not even take a pic. I did find this shot in the background of my magnifica shot. If you look close, you can see the KP in the back probably not even 35-40 degrees above the soil line. Since this grows so slow, I'm quite loathe to perform any drastic measures on it. I had a piece of lava in there to not let it tilt any more. The pill bugs were trying to mow it down at the root line.

post-27-1246826636_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Today Gary Levine came by and we were looking at it and he said he had an idea. I quickly noted I didn't want to move/disturb it, he said "you don't have to". As soon as he said that, I knew where he was going and instantly liked the idea. After he left, I started digging and basically set the box at a 45 degree angle. (TAKE THAT YOU "BOX PLANTING NAYSAYERS"!!, HARD TO DO THAT AND NOT DISTURB IT WHEN YOU JUST "DROP IT" :P )

Anyway, here is the end result.

And the last leaf, spear moving below..

Please pray or hope or whatever for this palm.

post-27-1246826962_thumb.jpg

post-27-1246827268_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Anyone else please feel free to update there pics here too. (Or add new finds) :D

Do you cut the metal bands around the 24" boxes and just wait for the wood to rot away?

Yup.

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

gone. so sad

• 2 years later...

Well Palmlover, you have to start reading close on this page. This K.p. died
:(
And on #43 is a link to the cause. I think a fungus, or a split opened to expose it to the sow bugs. What I DID discover since then is than they LIKE some light.. at least a few hours a day.. I did get a small one back in there, about half the size of this one. I also aquired another thats about the size of this one was when it started its decline. (For my backyard)

Look for links or other K.p threads from me, there are several.

Btw the roots like it damp, but not soaking. I also found when I dug up my box it was kinda a mud bog there.. I don't even have drip running to this one now.. I also raised it like 6 inches higher than the last one.

Here is mine Bill. Hard to tell in the photo but it is close to trunking, the base is super fat now.

Gary

DSC_3278.jpg

• Upvote 1

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

I was hoping you would post a pic of yours Gary.. Its probably the nicest one in the Continental US at this point.. it looks GREAT!

post-27-0-18543300-1349045059_thumb.jpg

^ Garys piersoniorum, not mine.

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

I just saw a mature one the other day 20ft of trunk...There was a possibility it was mislabeled but still the most beautiful palm I have ever seen!  In full SoCal sun!

LA | NY | OC

Not a Piersoniorum for sure.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

15 minutes ago, LJG said:

Not a Piersoniorum for sure.

It was at Bob Burtscher's place.. turns out he's a neighbor.  The label he had on it said Piersoniorum but he did say that people who seen it said it might not be.  Maybe pyriformis?    Can you confirm?

Edited by OverGrown

LA | NY | OC

56 minutes ago, OverGrown said:

It was at Bob Burtscher's place.. turns out he's a neighbor.  The label he had on it said Piersoniorum but he did say that people who seen it said it might not be.  Maybe pyriformis?    Can you confirm?

I have only seen the palm on pics here but it looks like Pyriformis to me. It is definitely not Piersoniorum. But like you said, beautiful palm.

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I suspect Bobs is like Jeff M's that he thought was one until it keyed out as a pyriformis.

• Upvote 1

My other one has been doing really well, I should probably post a pic of it here.

On 1/6/2016, 7:22:02, LJG said:

I have only seen the palm on pics here but it looks like Pyriformis to me. It is definitely not Piersoniorum. But like you said, beautiful palm.

Len, This is the kentiopsis pyriformis I posted a few weeks ago that I saw when I toured Bob's house that overgrown is talking about.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

23 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

My other one has been doing really well, I should probably post a pic of it here.

please do :drool:

Sunset zone 24

On 1/6/2016, 6:24:19, OverGrown said:

100% kentiopsis pyriformis with out question. I know Bob and have been there a few weeks ago. He has a very magical micro-climate

Sunset zone 24

On 1/6/2016, 9:41:50, BS Man about Palms said:

Pant pant pant, licky!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Heres another one to add to the collection of pics, hes a nice steady grower in our climate, wont be long till spear opens 

IMG_3926.thumb.JPG.444cf902e33b282fe8032

IMG_3927.thumb.JPG.b1eb7fbff412e1914b713

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, comic097 said:

Heres another one to add to the collection of pics, hes a nice steady grower in our climate, wont be long till spear opens 

IMG_3926.thumb.JPG.444cf902e33b282fe8032

IMG_3927.thumb.JPG.b1eb7fbff412e1914b713

I really like the color you bring with you companion plants to your garden.

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

Finally snapped a pic today near sunset... actually quite flattering for the pic.

20160112_165900_resized.thumb.jpg.65ec64

20160112_170038_resized.thumb.jpg.e8d02a

Note can for size reference... Leaving the old leaf base on until winter is over.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

• 1 month later...

I feel very Moose like by bumping this thread... maybe Mandrew will see some good color pics why they are neat palms... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well finally the new spear has open, gotta admit wasn't that long, but here it is 

IMG_7570.thumb.JPG.30900993478ce99844a1e

IMG_7571.thumb.JPG.fe62d6e0f7c02525e4b6c

IMG_7572.thumb.JPG.158daa9704c75378284a6

Latest pic with Roger ( gob1) visited the other day 

IMG_7626.thumb.JPG.f45e11cc84ad4e0ac729c

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, comic097 said:

Well finally the new spear has open, gotta admit wasn't that long, but here it is 

IMG_7570.thumb.JPG.30900993478ce99844a1e

IMG_7571.thumb.JPG.fe62d6e0f7c02525e4b6c

IMG_7572.thumb.JPG.158daa9704c75378284a6

Latest pic with Roger ( gob1) visited the other day 

IMG_7626.thumb.JPG.f45e11cc84ad4e0ac729c

Your piersonorum is nice, but your garden is...      Very,very,very nice!!!:wub:

• 7 months later...
On 1/12/2016, 7:14:53, BS Man about Palms said:

Finally snapped a pic today near sunset... actually quite flattering for the pic.

20160112_165900_resized.thumb.jpg.65ec64

20160112_170038_resized.thumb.jpg.e8d02a

Note can for size reference... Leaving the old leaf base on until winter is over.

How about a today pic?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 5 years later...
8 hours ago, PalmMom007 said:

Hi, I know this is an old thread but can I see how your Kentiopsis Piersoniorums are doing? 

Well.. at least for me... this is a very old thread, and very sad. The larger one I posted near the end did great for the few years after I dug it up and transplanted it. it was starting to get a bit chunky and doing well.... UNTIL a massive storm came from the west (rare here) about 4-5 years ago and had 60+ mph winds blowing at it. The wind effectively snapped its neck and died within a week.

Still love and still trying, currently have 5 1 gals going.

12 hours ago, Frond-friend42 said:

Those all look like Chambeyronias to me :rolleyes:

Only recently....

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 10/9/2022 at 1:17 PM, Matt in OC said:

Anyone have any updates with pictures? 😊 

My biggest one that I hope to plant this year. Slowly finding what they like and hate. Like sun, hate wind and being too wet I think..

image.thumb.jpeg.fd4de00188a12596505139a946e19195.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Estoy de acuerdo con que no le gusta demasiada agua ,mate uno por eso ,cuantos años tiene el tuyo ? Y cuál es la temperatura mínima que ha visto ?

On 10/9/2022 at 1:17 PM, Matt in OC said:

Anyone have any updates with pictures? 😊 

I thought you had a nice one?

If I remember correctly post a picture of yours.

Almost everyone I know that has them are from the 1 gallons FB offered last year.

For me it was nice to get two with a nice head start but not picture worthy yet.

Obviously Len's is really nice if you can coax him into posting.

• Like 1