IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Why I love Kentiopsis piersoniorum

BS Man about Palms

Several folks here have seen me post that the K.P. is one of, if not, my favorite palms. I've spoke with some others that agree privately, but we've decided its because there are so few of any size out there to compare to!

So, heres my baby which I am nearly paranoid to do anything with...

2113441-R1-040-18A.jpg

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

A little closer and you can see the blue/green leaves..

2113441-R1-044-20A.jpg

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

And the trunk shows even more colors...

2113441-R1-042-19A.jpg

Anyone else got some to post pics of ?

Bo?

Jeff? of Florida?

Jeff of Trabuco...?

Matt?

my Aussie friends?

Please, more, I need it...I really do.  :o

Here is my newly acquired little one. I will be 60 when i see trunk if all goes well here in SoCal. It is safe and sound in the garage for now. It is next to my other prize (seen behind the K. piersoniorum) I am paranoid to take out the garage too.

Kpiersoniorum.jpg

Kpiersoniorum4.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Bill,

I believe I posted this photo a year ago. Will see if I can get a better shot tomorrow.

Bo-Göran

post-22-1180499110_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bill,

I just planted mine this weekend.  It went well, pretty good root structure.  I'll try to get a photo tomorrow.  It's definitely a nice palm.  

Len, where did you get one "recently"?  I had the distinct impression that no one had these for sale anymore.

Matt

PS.  Bo, if you are up at Jeff's place anytime soon I'd love to see a photo of his big piersoniorum.  It was raining when I was there and I didn't get a photo.  It's huge though, the trunk is 10-12" in diameter and despite the slow growth the leaf base scars are more than 6" apart.  I think they actually go up reasonably fast once they trunk.

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Gorgeous specimens.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(Matt in SD @ May 29 2007,23:09)

Bill,

I just planted mine this weekend.  It went well, pretty good root structure.  I'll try to get a photo tomorrow.  It's definitely a nice palm.  

Len, where did you get one "recently"?  I had the distinct impression that no one had these for sale anymore.

Matt

PS.  Bo, if you are up at Jeff's place anytime soon I'd love to see a photo of his big piersoniorum.  It was raining when I was there and I didn't get a photo.  It's huge though, the trunk is 10-12" in diameter and despite the slow growth the leaf base scars are more than 6" apart.  I think they actually go up reasonably fast once they trunk.

Matt-

I suspect Ron parted with one of his...

also lookin forward to your picture. :D

Yes Bo or whoever please post Jeff Marcus' K.P. !!

Roosty Sado is my hero in this regard.  5 ? in the ground! :P

Hey Bill, have you been using the camera I gave you yet?  ???

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

That is a beautiful palm Bill.  I was stunned at how soft and bluey the fine powder was all over it.  Pictures don't do it justice.

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Bill, anytime I am looking for palm photos, I go to where Geoff loads his stuff. Dave's Garden. Here is a very recent pic of it. Amazing palm.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/143810/

Matt, I got it from a person in Florida that wishes to remain anonymous. Weird? I know. But I don't ask questions when I am getting a hook up. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

(deezpalms @ May 30 2007,08:51)

Hey Bill, have you been using the camera I gave you yet?  ???

Out of great shame regarding your post, I went and found the camera, the cord you gave me recently and plugged it in to my computer.  Hey, I got pictures that I took to show up on my computer!

Looks like I'll give that a try more often now!  :)  THANKS!  :D

PS to Len, thanks for the link and congrats on your aqquisition!

Bill,

Here's the K. piersoniorum that's in post 5 above. That photo was taken in June 2006, and this photo was taken today, almost a year later. Not much difference, I'm afraid!

Bo-Göran

post-22-1180568040_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And two more. Well, actually there's more than the two in the foreground. Just to the left of the K. piersoniorum on the left is a single trunked Cyrtostachys renda, and to the left of that one is another K. piersoniorum, and then, again, to the left of that one (in the extreme upper left part of the photo) is a fourth one. These four (and a few others) were grown from seeds that were given out to IPS Biennial participants in New Caledonia in 2000.

post-22-1180568213_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Bo!  Those are beautiful !  Thanks for posting the pics. With some growing in Hawaii there is the possibility of more coming around SOMEDAY.  :P

Weird to know that in New Caledonia, these are the most common Kentiopsis!  !!

How come no-one noticed the palm in the background from Lens post of his new K.P.? That palm peeking out is a much nicer palm than K.P., it is a Cyphosperma Balansae, a real prize.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Gary, I passed on the Cyphosperma if you can believe it. We did get one, but Dwain ended up with it. The palm behind is a Pseudophoenix ekmanii I got from Steve Stern. Here is a better shot.

Pekmanii.jpg

PS - it is amazing how small the palm collecting world is to know you found out about the Cyphosperma. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

(LJG @ May 30 2007,21:04)

The palm behind is a Pseudophoenix ekmanii I got from Steve Stern. Here is a better shot.

When did that palm germinate, sometime in the mid '70's??

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

(elHoagie @ May 31 2007,10:45)

The palm behind is a Pseudophoenix ekmanii I got from Steve Stern. Here is a better shot.

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

You know you've lost it when....

...you look at a palm that size and say, "Damn! That thing is huge!"

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(elHoagie @ May 31 2007,10:45)

:P

It is from FL, so faster then here. Steve is a funny guy. I got some other great stuff from him and most the time he never remembers anything about the plant only that he has it. He guessed mid 90s when I asked. He had some smaller ones too that were early 2000's.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I thought he wished to remain unanimus.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

The person who sold the K.P. *did*. Steve, that sold the P.E. would want buisness. Two different people.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Finally had a chance to get a photo of mine.  It's been in the ground almost a week now, and it is still growing!  Len, mine was a bit smaller than yours (maybe 1 year behind it?) when I bought it nearly 4 years ago.  I would guess it's from the same seed release as Bo's palms.

post-6-1180674800_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Wow. That is a good sized one for SoCal. I hope it really takes off in the ground.

Your son is about a few months younger then mine. My son is a major terror in my yard. He has a knack for knowing which things to get into that mean the most to me back in the yard.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Cool Matt! Looks great!

• 2 months later...

Finally-  I took a good picture of the color!  :D

various8-10-07023.jpg

This pic is probably better. Look for a full shot at some point in the "BS plants palms" thread.

various8-10-07024.jpg

(LJG @ May 31 2007,00:04)

Pekmanii.jpg

I visited Steve a few years ago,and while he had some nice plants,prices were off the charts. Asking price on those larger Pseudophoenix ekmanii were in the $300 - $500 dollar range each. Largest ones weren't even for sale.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Steve is pricey, but this plant was not that price.

Bill, you have a great looking sized plant there.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

(LJG @ Aug. 12 2007,13:52)

Steve is pricey, but this plant was not that price.

Bill, you have a great looking sized plant there.

Thanks Len, Its one of my favorites.  :D

(Shon @ Aug. 12 2007,20:00)

Bill I have to say he looks even happier after the transplant.

It does look that way. (knock on my wooden head here) It appears to have pushed the opening frond at least an inch since the "boxing". :D

(BS, Man about Palms @ Aug. 12 2007,14:05)

This pic is probably better. Look for a full shot at some point in the "BS plants palms" thread.

various8-10-07024.jpg

Hi Bill

Love the colouration of that leaf, and any Kentiopsis

photo's, excellent thanks for sharing

Cheers Mike.  :)

To All,

Nice shots, some beauties in there.

Regards Mike.

• Upvote 1

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

(Shon @ Aug. 13 2007,18:20)

Hey Bill how did the magnifica do? Any pics?

Pics coming....but thats the palm in the box behind the piersoniorum.  The frond just opened, but it only had tinges of red, all green now.

Ah heck, heres the whole area...... a Chamby houilou (sp), Kentio. magnifica, Kentio. piersoniorum (2), Colpothrinax,  Cyphosperma balanse, and some other things...there all back in there.

various8-10-07021.jpg

Thanks very much for the compliment Mike! :)

i wonder what it would look like in the ground?

i guess we may NEVER know... :D

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

• 1 year later...
Several folks here have seen me post that the K.P. is one of, if not, my favorite palms. I've spoke with some others that agree privately, but we've decided its because there are so few of any size out there to compare to!

So, heres my baby which I am nearly paranoid to do anything with...

2113441-R1-040-18A.jpg

Look Bill,

Thought you'd like to see your palm 1.5 years ago.....doesn't looked to have move much in size!!! :hmm:

Kind regards,

clark

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

Well, Since theres not much to do but watch it grow, I'm happy with that. *I Think* the spear you see in post #27 is actually the frond of the "right" of this pic. It pushes about a frond every 6-8 months. It is getting stouter now.

post-27-1225591496_thumb.jpg

If you look at the color of the crownshaft, you can see why it was called the "Champagne Palm" in the Old Days.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads