IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coconut palm trees Sanford, Florida

Jason-Palm king

These coconut palms are about 200 feet from lake Monroe here in Sanford . I wanted to check up on them to see if the survived this past winter and they sure did with flying colors . If you look closely , there is even a coconut on the first tree . Crazy !

4BDC0E7B-8994-47EF-A174-FDF6618226D8.jpeg

F0910A26-557E-4687-A851-753F5BCBAEC1.jpeg

Edited by Jason-Palm king
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 8

Nice, they did a lot better than I would have expected. :greenthumb:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Looks great. In the first photo there is a Ptychosperma elegans too and no damage.

• Like 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

8 hours ago, sandgroper said:

How cold did it get there?

At the Sanford Intl Airport they recorded a low of 30F Jan 4th. Then 25F on the 18th and 32 on the 19th. The airport is several miles south and in an open area away from Lake Monroe/St. Johns River so is definitely colder than the downtown areas adjacent to the water. The St. John's River widens out and forms Lake Monroe which is several miles across and those coconuts are growing on the southern shore. It seems to have a great microclimate there

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

16 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Those look great. Are they under a canopy of trees or exposed?

Some older trees over them . They have a bunch of huge foxtails in their yard also ...must be a nice microclimate 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Nice, they did a lot better than I would have expected. :greenthumb:

Yeah me 2. There where coconuts killed 30 miles south of there in Orlando 

7 hours ago, Jason-Palm king said:

Yeah me 2. There where coconuts killed 30 miles south of there in Orlando 

Yeah, those are in a great microclimate. Good to see them survive. The large one killed by me is on the very southern point of Lake Conway. I always thought it was a great microclimate but mostly on radiational events.  A large King got burned there too. The tall on I-Drive is looking pretty good with its recovery. My coconut appears to be recovering well too. I think mine only survived because I had the trunk protected. 

Hard winters in florida? I always imagine it to be warm there

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

2 hours ago, Howeadypsis said:

Hard winters in florida? I always imagine it to be warm there

The averages are quite warm in Florida with average January highs around 70 deg F (21 C) in central Florida. The much discussed problem with Florida and elsewhere in the southeastern US is that it is much more vulnerable to severe arctic intrusion than many (probably any) areas of the world at comparable latitude, there are no major mountain ranges or oceans between Florida and the arctic, nothing to impede cold air. Having said all that, it’s all relative, we’re talking about coconut palms, anything below freezing would be a hard winter. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

We just experienced the coldest day in seven years,  14c (57f). Hoping we don't get too many like that my coconut won't like it. It's also been the wettest start to winter in 13 years! 

Mine in Orlando is on the road to recovery as the latest and next spear show no signs of cold or fungus damage. Hopefully the summer heat and rains give me half a crown before winter. I did the marker test. Spear is pushing about 1 inch a day. 

palm1.jpg

palm2.jpg

Edited by pj_orlando_z9b
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2018, 5:59:24, Reeverse said:

Amazing. The ones on beachside look terrible compared to those. Impressive. 

I always wondered why the coconuts along the beaches look ugly in Florida. Even in South Florida. 

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

5 minutes ago, NC_Palms said:

I always wondered why the coconuts along the beaches look ugly in Florida. Even in South Florida. 

The Newport coco in California was no exception. 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

• 4 years later...

They've done pretty well over the years.

They were planted with a bit of trunk sometime from 2011-2013:

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.8115698,-81.2515028,3a,75y,250.92h,93.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sviAF9tkw_-Cg7qE4cNqmfg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This is from the Google Street view in June 2013.

20221118_June2013.jpg.ab42099c6463afb538403318a3ceb43c.jpg

It looks like they were planted after the Adonidia merrillii triples died in from the 2010 freezes. 

20221118_April2011.jpg.15b58361ca26f178019dd3e3e1ee7f5f.jpg

The Adonidia merrillii at the Orlando/Sanford Airport (KSFB) are pre-2010, but they are tight up against the entrance.  The straight line distance between the two points is ~2.5 miles.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.7751085,-81.24395,3a,33.1y,0.5h,95.91t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPY5rAawhKlI3dzpVpofwPQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

@Eric in Orlando had posted more recent photos of these palms on the Zone 10 Palms in the Orlando Area Mega Thread back in October for those wanting a recent update without having to drive over there.

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/topic/59360-zone-10-palms-in-the-orlando-area-mega-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1082317

Eric also posted a photo of the Ptychosperma elegans at the same location.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

• 4 months later...
On 6/10/2018 at 6:15 PM, pj_orlando_z9b said:

Mine in Orlando is on the road to recovery as the latest and next spear show no signs of cold or fungus damage. Hopefully the summer heat and rains give me half a crown before winter. I did the marker test. Spear is pushing about 1 inch a day. 

palm1.jpg

palm2.jpg

How is your coco palm doing now in 2023? Any recent pics ? Sorry , I been off here for a few years