IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fuego Erupts in Guatemala

Really full garden

Yesterday ,Sunday morning June 3 ,I thought was going to be a normal day. I live on the lower slopes of Fuego Volcano. This volcano has almost constant fumerolas and some lava seeping out from its crater. During the rainy season we often hear explosions from water falling into the crater and hitting the lava and super heated rock.

As the day progressed more and more ash was being produced , but blowing to the north away from my house. About 3pm things took a nasty turn. My house shook and a black shadow covered the sky,the lights went out and I could feel a hot organic smell. Ash started to fall with some small lava bits. This lasted for about 15 mins. Soon I could hear sirens and found out that the bridge to Antigua had been washed out by a pyroclastic avalanche . The village of San Miguel Los Lotes and the very posh La Reunion golf club had also been wiped out. At this time the death count is 62 ,but I fear it will rise dramatically soon as more rescuers make their way in.

I stayed in my house and was able to wash some plants to remove the ash. My cellphone died and there was no internet so I really was not aware how bad the situation really was. I could just hear the almost constant sound of sirens. The police came to my gate at about 8pm looking for gas. They needed to evacuate the injured. Thats when I found out how bad things really were.

They told me to stay inside with doors locked. There were armed bands of looters taking advantage of this situation. I heard gunfire all through the night.

I evacuated this morning to my beach house. There are three checkpoints to get into my village and I was afraid they might not let me return. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOjboh1LvB0

• Upvote 9

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

So much much worse than Moana Kea. More like Vesuvius. Be afraid, be very very afraid.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

So much much worse than Moana Kea. More like Vesuvius. Be afraid, be very very afraid.

Just a correction, its Mauna, (moana means ocean *ish) but yes, this volcano seems much more scary than the work of Pelehonuamea here at Kilauea.

Be safe in Guatemala and hopefully there is a quick end to this eruption :(

• Upvote 2

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Just now, krishnaraoji88 said:

Just a correction, its Mauna, (moana means ocean *ish) but yes, this volcano seems much more scary than the work of Pelehonuamea here at Kilauea.

Be safe in Guatemala and hopefully there is a quick end to this eruption :(

Thanks for the correction.

We certainly agree on that much!

• Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

This afternoon there was another much stronger piroclastic event. From what I have been told my house survived. There are no rescue teams ,everyone has left the area .It is considered too unstable. It is very uncertain if I will be able to return in the near future,

• Upvote 1

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

@scottgt, I am so sorry to hear that you have been caught up in this but thankfully weren't close enough to be injured or worse. What you described was very frightening. I've watched a number of documentaries on Pompeii and Mt. Saint Helens and they remain vivid in my mind. How far away is the beach house you are at and is it in a safe area or is that just something that's unpredictable where you are? Having been following the Kilauea eruption and loss of homes and property/livelihood, I hope you remain safe and out of harms way. With 150+ inches of rainfall and all that ash I'm afraid the situation will be unsafe for quite some time. Thank you for sharing with us and please stay in touch with us. 

• Upvote 1

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

7 hours ago, WestCoastGal said:

@scottgt, I am so sorry to hear that you have been caught up in this but thankfully weren't close enough to be injured or worse. What you described was very frightening. I've watched a number of documentaries on Pompeii and Mt. Saint Helens and they remain vivid in my mind. How far away is the beach house you are at and is it in a safe area or is that just something that's unpredictable where you are? Having been following the Kilauea eruption and loss of homes and property/livelihood, I hope you remain safe and out of harms way. With 150+ inches of rainfall and all that ash I'm afraid the situation will be unsafe for quite some time. Thank you for sharing with us and please stay in touch with us. 

In Guatemala you are never very far from a volcano. Thats part of what makes Guatemala an incredibly beautiful country. I am about 80kms from Fuego now.

Yesterday there were false reports that the city of Escuintla was to be evacuated, this is a city of 400,000 people . It was total chaos and panic ( think the fall of Saigon).

The main toll road was blocked by the authorities because it is a little closer to Fuego. I was stuck in traffic for almost five hours.it took that long just to go five kilometers. 

This is a very serious situation. When I left my house on Monday I thought it was just for a few days. I left with my dog and my weekend bag. It is going to be weeks before I can get back. My security guards were evacuated yesterday before the second event. My house will be looted. I really dont know if I will return to live there.

Edited by scottgt
  • Upvote 2

This was the latest statement from the US embassy

amcitsguatemala@state.gov 

Jun 5 at 5:23 PM

Message body

Natural Disaster Alert Update - U. S. Embassy Guatemala City, Guatemala - (June 5, 2018)

Event: On Tuesday, June 5, Fuego Volcano erupted again at approximately 2:10 p.m. local time. The new eruption dispersed hot gas and volcanic matter into the air in the direction of west and northwest, but the direction could change in accordance with prevailing winds.  

The Guatemalan governmental agency for natural disasters (CONRED) has ordered an evacuation of some of the Escuintla area and strongly urges against travel to Chimaltenango, and Sacatepequez, including Antigua.  CONRED also recommends that tourists should not attempt to hike the volcano.  

With heavy rains expected over the weekend, Lahars (a mixture of water, ash and debris) are expected to inundate many of the major thoroughfares in Guatemala, causing hazardous conditions.    

The following roads are closed to all Embassy personnel for both personal and official travel through Sunday, June 10, 2018:

CA – 1 westbound 

CA – 2 westbound

CA – 9 from Guatemala City to San Jose Port

RN – 14 is permanently closed by Guatemalan Government 

Embassy Operations: Embassy operations are normal.  

Actions to Take: CONRED recommendations in case of falling ashes

·        Cover your eyes, mouth and nose

·        Cover food and potable water storage containers

·        If you have respiratory problems seek medical attention

·        Once the ashes stop falling, clean your rooftops to avoid additional damage

·        Follow the instructions of local authorities

Assistance: 

·        U.S. Embassy Guatemala City https://gt.usembassy.gov/

Tel. (502) 2326-4000

Amcitsguatemala@state.gov

·        State Department - Consular Affairs

888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444

·         Guatemala Country Information

·        Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates

·        Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

• Upvote 1

Scott, I am so sorry you are caught up in this terrifying event! It sounds much worse all the way around than the new eruption of Kilauea in Leilani Estates. Gunfire all night? So sad that people hurt each other during a disaster instead of helping each other. Feeling sad for you and the families who have lost loved ones and homes. Stay positive and stay safe.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Be safe and do the best you can.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Read your update. Any idea what you will do? Would you stay long term at the beach house? On the positive side I guess at least you had a place to go to. 

How sad to know your home back there will be looted. Really desperate times ahead for many that made it out alive from the ash and losing so many family members to all of this. I remember the lahars from Mt. Saint Helens and how frightening they were to see in videos. I feel for you and everyone there. 

• Upvote 1

Praying for you safety.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

News from BBC (good graphics) and Prensa Libre (seems the most accessible newspaper website) is discouraging.   At least the US embassy seems to be working constructively.  

In terms of gunfire all night, that's what freaked out emergency workers south of Miami after the 1992 hurricane.  Florida has somehow been pretty good at maintaining order after hurricanes since then.  

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Things are still very uncertain. There is still very limited access to the area. I got a report last night that my house has not been broken into yet and that my koi are fine.

My moods are up and down all day. I am trying to adapt to the new "normal". I am driving two hours each way a day to and from work.

I am very fortunate that I had another very nice home to escape to. I have very many things to be thankful for.

I feel for all those people who have been displaced due to the recent natural disasters which seem to be on a biblical scale.

• Upvote 2

Scott, my thoughts are with you.  I visited Antigua and Panajachel during Semana Santa, and really loved that whole area.  We saw some smoke from Volcan Fuego, and were told it does that all the time, so I'm sure that leads to a false sense of security when it "really" erupts.  I hope you can get back to your residence sometime very soon.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Today the area just above my house ( about 2kms away ) was declared uninhabitable. People are forbidden to return.  El Rodeo where my house is ,is still under evaluation.

The volcano has continued with moderate activity and the risk of lahars is high in the event of heavy rains. We are in the rainy season now so this is very possible.

Thank you everyone for your comments !

• Upvote 3

Unrelated, but someone from our part of Florida made it to a beach vacation in Nicaragua a day or two ago.  There were barricades to get through.  Having surfboards on the roof was apparently a good thing--proof of being innocent tourists.  

I need to double-check public radio for programming on Guatemala and relief.  I think I know at least one reliable place to send a donation.

3 hours ago, Dave-Vero said:

Unrelated, but someone from our part of Florida made it to a beach vacation in Nicaragua a day or two ago.  There were barricades to get through.  Having surfboards on the roof was apparently a good thing--proof of being innocent tourists.  

I need to double-check public radio for programming on Guatemala and relief.  I think I know at least one reliable place to send a donation.

RED CROSS GUATEMALA

• Upvote 1

Thanks.  Looks like Citibank or Wells Fargo can handle donations.  

• Upvote 1

Today it became easier for residents to reach the area. I plan to go tomorrow. I know my house is intact. I really want to see the garden....

• Upvote 5

Scott,

From one volcano to the other - I hope you will find that everything is perfectly OK at your place when you return tomorrow, and that the drama will gradually (but quickly) go away! :)

Aloha,

Bo-Göran

• Upvote 3

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

6 hours ago, bgl said:

Scott,

From one volcano to the other - I hope you will find that everything is perfectly OK at your place when you return tomorrow, and that the drama will gradually (but quickly) go away! :)

Aloha,

Bo-Göran

I still cannot stay there more than a few hours. I plan to take some of my potted palms . It is still very uncertain if I will ever be able to live there again. The sad thing is that most of my palms will not survive the harsh beach conditions.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, scottgt said:

I still cannot stay there more than a few hours. I plan to take some of my potted palms . It is still very uncertain if I will ever be able to live there again. The sad thing is that most of my palms will not survive the harsh beach conditions.

Good luck finding things in good shape. I'm sure going back and seeing it for the first time will be shocking with ash all over and especially how the area has changed from one you knew so well. Hope you find more than you think to bring back to the beach house.

• Upvote 1

I did make it to my house and everything was fine,house and garden. I left at 1pm just as it started to rain. At about 5pm during a heavy downpour a lahar passed down the main highway. It looks like a foot of mud and some large rocks are covering 3-4 kms of the only way to get in or out of the area. This lahars will continue as long as there is loose ash above and we have heavy rains.

• Upvote 3

Glad to hear the house and gardens are doing fine. Sure it put your mind at ease now that you've seen it at least. Did you end up taking palms with you like you mentioned? Thankfully you left before the lahar happened. Definitely wouldn't want to be on the road trapped from getting out of the area or swept up in it.

Is this the same highway you need to use to get into work? Also wondering since there is volcanic ash all over, do people have appropriate masks to wear kind of as part of an emergency kit everyone would have in their home/car? 

• Upvote 1

These disaster situations are exhausting for people -- constant fluctuation in conditions, so much uncertainty, positive surprises mixed with unexpected disappointments. It's hard.  You are in my thoughts.

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

22 hours ago, WestCoastGal said:

Glad to hear the house and gardens are doing fine. Sure it put your mind at ease now that you've seen it at least. Did you end up taking palms with you like you mentioned? Thankfully you left before the lahar happened. Definitely wouldn't want to be on the road trapped from getting out of the area or swept up in it.

Is this the same highway you need to use to get into work? Also wondering since there is volcanic ash all over, do people have appropriate masks to wear kind of as part of an emergency kit everyone would have in their home/car? 

I did not take anything from my house except for some clothes. I have such mixed feelings about taking anything from my house or garden. I feel that if I start removing things it means that I will not be returning. I even made a fresh arrangement of heliconias from my garden for the foyer, just like always. I somehow take comfort that everything is the same as always and that if I return the house and garden are just like nothing has happened.

• Upvote 6

22 hours ago, Kim said:

These disaster situations are exhausting for people -- constant fluctuation in conditions, so much uncertainty, positive surprises mixed with unexpected disappointments. It's hard.  You are in my thoughts.

Kim you are so right ! The situation is so volatile. I am coping day by day.

• Upvote 2

On 6/12/2018, 5:51:43, scottgt said:

I did not take anything from my house except for some clothes. I have such mixed feelings about taking anything from my house or garden. I feel that if I start removing things it means that I will not be returning. I even made a fresh arrangement of heliconias from my garden for the foyer, just like always. I somehow take comfort that everything is the same as always and that if I return the house and garden are just like nothing has happened.

I’ve done the same, for the same reasons.

• Upvote 1

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Yesterday in the papers we saw that the highway RN-14 (the only way to get to my house) was to be eliminated. Today the government published plans to redo this highway for about $30 million including three new bridges. The news pendulum swings drastically day to day.

We now have two other active volcanoes to deal with. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, WestCoastGal said:

@scottgt been a little while. How are you doing and things there?

I am actually planning to spend the night in my house! I came back today and plan to take it day by day. The road between  Escuintla and Antigua will be reopened on Sunday.

A new road with three bridges (overpasses) will start soon and will take $30 million and 18 months to complete. Congress approved a monthly subsidy for the displaced .

Volcanic activity has subsided but lahars are a continuing threat. We get 6 + inches of rain every night this time of year. It is a good thing if the ash is consistently washed down.

Disaster if it all comes down at once.

My house and garden appear as if nothing has happened so it is still hard to grasp all that has happened recently.

Well that's excellent news! Stay safe. How far is it for you to go to work now with the bridges and roads and towns what they are? I remember from the beach house you had quite a drive but thinking closer to the volcano might not be any better. Interesting how Guatamala handles the displacement subsidy.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On June 22, 2018 at 11:24:15 PM, WestCoastGal said:

Well that's excellent news! Stay safe. How far is it for you to go to work now with the bridges and roads and towns what they are? I remember from the beach house you had quite a drive but thinking closer to the volcano might not be any better. Interesting how Guatamala handles the displacement subsidy.

My drive is now about 40min each way. There have been delays in opening the road to Antigua due to almost daily lahars. Now they are saying eight weeks. Today marks one month since the event. 

The vice president  of the US ,Mike Pence came to Guatemala on June 28. His wife visited some of the displaced.

I think Guatemala and Guatemalans handle these disasters remarkably well. There has  also been a lot of international help in all areas of recovery.

• Upvote 1

The official death toll is 114 with 332 missing. Several NGOs are reporting that there are at least 2,900 missing. It is possible. People live in multi generational  compounds. If an entire family group is gone , their neighbors are gone and there is no physical evidence of their homes it could be possible that no one is left to report them as missing. This is so sad.   

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On August 15, 2018 at 1:45:06 PM, Moose said:

Scott - how is the recovery going down your way?

The road from Escuintla to Antigua was reopened on Aug.16. It is just a provisional road now and only allows traffic from 6am-6pm. We continue to have lahars almost after every heavy rain. Reopening the road has been controversial. It has turned political. There are protests and the road is often blocked. Life in Guatemala is like a three ringed circus.The Left is always looking for causes to rally support.

My life has returned to almost normal.I have been planting new palms and assorted plants in the garden. I do always make sure my car is full of gas and have a packed bag in case a quick escape is necessary .