IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Potting heavy palms Crisis!

palm789

Hi I got to repot a chamaerops 110 liter into a bigger pot and a 70liter Trachycarpus into a bigger pot,the heaviest is the chamaerops as it's 100kgs.Since I will be doing it on my own and with no equipment,how do I get this palm out of its ultra heavy pot then into the pot and put soil in bottom of my pot.please help as I go no-one.p.s.my palms are in flower will it slow growth if I repot now.?

Photos will help us visualize the palms and how you might improvise repotting. Even if you don't have heavy equipment surely you have access to rope, pieces of plywood, 2x4s to use as leverage. My husband is quite ingenious in improvising ways to perform tasks using stuff around the house - growing up in near poverty forces a person to be inventive. Surely someone on this forum has similar talents to advise you. My point is you have to think outside the box rather than get frustrated. You don't have a crisis but a problem that needs solving. Hope you get suggestions soon.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

What we have done is take them outside, push an appropriately shaped  shovel or spade down the sides as far as you can to break it off from clinging to the inside of the pot, then roll the pot around, we shoved things up the holes underneath while pulling the top and pushing down on the rim of the pot with our feet at the same time.

You just cannot be gentle with that sort of thing and it is not a job for one person. Call in some favours. Forget it on your own, get someone to help you. Also choose a pot that is shaped so that the palm can slide out of it, not one curved in at the top. And forget the flowers on the trachy, cut them off, they won't seed anyway unless you have already identified them as female and obtained male pollen and hand fertilized them. The same is usually true of  chamaerops too according to wikipedia -  "The plants usually, but not invariably, are dioecious with male and female flowers on separate plants. "

I hope that helps Nath.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

5 hours ago, palm789 said:

Here is the palm in pot heavy as sin

Have you considered investing in something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Goplus-Hydraulic-Scissor-Lift-Cart/dp/B01N8XO8FG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1527954566&sr=8-7&keywords=scissor+lift

You can drag the pot onto the scissor lift (you'll only have to lift it a few inches and slide it on), jack it up, cut the container off, then use gravity to slide the plant into a larger container.  The good thing about scissor lift dollies like this is you can use it to move all sorts of things, like furniture.  They're multi-purpose, so you won't be spending $200+ on a one-time thing.

Edited by Anthony_B

Now that I see the pot I can't see your problem, as a two person job that is a piece of cake, but you should be able to do that by yourself. I was imagining a pot twice as big and solid concrete. Wrap the palm up in a blanket first if you want, but just as I said, lay it on it's side, outside, hold the plant and kick the top of the pot, it will come off the bottom. Throw your potting mix in the new pot of a same/similar shape and slide it up over the rootball still on it's side on the ground. After you have stood it up you can pack the sides with more potting mix. 

You might consider buying a dedicated heavy duty pot stand on casters, when we had big pots we found them well worth it.

I hope this helps Nath. 

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

• 3 weeks later...

i had a big multi trunked vulcano in a 70 litre pot and it was unbelievably heavy.

the soil it was in was 50% rock and must have weighed around 120kg all together. i hurt my arm badly lifting it on my own and it took about 6 months to stop hurting.   

it was the heaviest thing i ever lifted in my life and i'm a builder so i'm lifting things every day. Don't try this on your own!!

The palm looks really nice now though

Edited by Jamesasb