HorsesnPalms

Sold House! Large Rare Ptychosperma propinquum Needs to be SAVED in SW Florida

HorsesnPalms

Hello everyone!

I have sold my home and must move my Ptychosperma propinquum before Saturday, June 2. It is located in Port Charlotte, Florida. I have already left the house and the new owners are allowing me to return to get this palm before they move in.

It is stunning and has already been trimmed back for moving. I have added photos of it before it was trimmed and some after.

This is a rare palm especially for this area. It has been growing beside my 'former' home next to a large bottle brush tree. This blocked it from the wind, except for the part that was higher than the house. During the cold spouts I would wrap it with a piece of carpet and plastic as high up as I could go. So about 6 feet. The last time I measured it was 14 feet tall. It had many shoots off of it but these were trimmed to make moving easier. It will grow back without any problems. I gave it fertilizer twice a year and watched it for bugs. This was my baby and it is killing me that I cannot keep 'him'. We are moving too far north and unfortunately a house with a massive atrium isn't in the budget. :-)

I know it is quite valuable, and have only seen one at Fairchild gardens. If you aren't familiar with this palm learn more here: http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Ptychosperma_propinquum

There aren't many photos of it online. I have searched and searched.

The trimmed version looks a bit bare, but he is still just as gorgeous and has been growing quite quickly.

If you are interested in coming to get him please contact me immediately. I am sure we can come to an agreement.  Serious inquiries only, please.

PS It could be potted in a VERY large pot if you needed some time before a final placement or if you are a nursery and want to resale. 

THANK YOU!

Ptychosperma-propinquum2.thumb.jpg.9f8b1Ptychosperma_propinquum_Nov2017.thumb.jpPP-July2017-2.thumb.jpg.04d86d514c484d1fPP-July2017.thumb.jpg.4ca362e7bf043752d7pp-12-2016.thumb.jpg.e2c60e7a16883b127f1ptychosperma-propinquum-trimmed-May-2018

• Upvote 3

HorsesnPalms

I failed to mention that they intend to cut the tree down! They have clear cut most of the property already. It is so sad. I don't want this gorgeous palm to end up that way.

Mostapha

Hopefully you find it a well caring home. If need be try some botanical gardens, offer it as a donation. I wish you luck.

Mark

Brian1960

sent pm

HorsesnPalms
1 hour ago, Brian1960 said:

sent pm

Hi Brian

I just checked and don't see a message from you.

HorsesnPalms
18 hours ago, Mostapha said:

Hopefully you find it a well caring home. If need be try some botanical gardens, offer it as a donation. I wish you luck.

Mark

Thank you, Mark. That is a great idea. I will contact a few of them. Fingers crossed. :-)

Mostapha

Hope you were able to find your palm a new home. It's a shame that the new owners don't see the beauty in the vast world of palms that all of us here have grown to appreciate so much. As Rare as this palm is I'm sure that a nursery or again a botanical garden would love it as a show piece, makes me wish I lived in your area.

Mark

HorsesnPalms

Hi everyone! The palm has a new home. I am so excited I am beside myself. I was so worried that I wasn't able to sleep until his new guardian angel picked him up.

Thank you all for your input and to the Palm Talk forums for the outlet to make this match happen.

Also, a big thank you to 'his new owner,  @Brian1960  Please be sure to send me some photos along the way, if you don't mind. I am going to miss that palm terribly. But you have no idea how grateful I am to you for giving this glorious palm a safe home.

Cheers!

Robin

• Upvote 2

Mostapha

Congrats, glad you found it a good home with another palm lover. And I would like to wish you good luck in your new home, I'm sure you will build another garden to rival the one that you just left.

Mark

HorsesnPalms
19 hours ago, Mostapha said:

Congrats, glad you found it a good home with another palm lover. And I would like to wish you good luck in your new home, I'm sure you will build another garden to rival the one that you just left.

Mark

Thank you, Mark. I do plan on doing just that. I can't live without my palms or my other tropical plants. I am a serious addict! lol

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• rfielding
      By rfielding
      Hello all, 
      I'm a geographer based in South Carolina, but a Florida native, with an interest in breadfruit as a tool for food security. I'm especially interested in efforts to push the latitudinal boundaries of breadfruit, including the good work that many are doing to grow breadfruit in Florida. I'd love to hear from members of this forum on their efforts to grow breadfruit in Florida or other places where it's challenging. Feel free to reply here or email me directly at rfielding@coastal.edu. Thanks very much!
      Russell Fielding
      Coastal Carolina University 
    • Zekorora
      By Zekorora
      I’ve been looking for these two palms for a while now and can’t find any. Super rare!
    • TampaPalms
      By TampaPalms
      Today I went ahead and added some Epsom salt to my arecas and foxtail palm. I was at thinking of adding a light light palm fertilizer to them especially the arecas to keep them nice and green as we just had a cold snap. I am in zone 9B in Tampa. Anyone in 9B or 10A have luck fertilizing palms in the winter? I'm afraid if I do so we will have another borderline freeze the new growth will be more susceptible to be killed.
    • kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      NOAA makes weather records from the Florida stations available to download for free.  Out of the 1,700+ stations, 358 contain at least some temperature data.  If one were to download all of these records, import them into a database, and use some crafty SQL queries to generate sheets for each of the impact freezes it would provide a really good side-by-side resource to compare the microclimates in each region of Florida.
      That is exactly what has been done with the 0000_202011040720_F_SQL_v2.xlsx spreadsheet attached to this post.  Each tab in the spreadsheet contains records for one of our unfortunate cold events.  The records come sorted first by the TAG column, which represents one of the areas in the pictures and is defined by a set of latitude and longitude boundaries.  A second sort is by the station name alphabetically.  This gives you a region of weather stations sorted alphabetically that allows you to see the temperatures in the region beside each other.
      The lists are able to be filtered or sorted in any way you choose, so if you are only interested in weather stations in a particular region or set of regions, this is easily accomplished.  For easy viewing, the rows for each region alternate in shading.  This is easy to remove or change if you wish.
      If you would like to see the boundaries of a region, the weather stations used with a link to their corresponding Weather Underground station, or a listing of the freezes and some commentary lifted from Florida Citrus Mutual’s website, or a description of the station location, the 202007121300_NOAA_WeatherStations_TemperatureOnly.xlsx sheet will have a plethora of this information.
      For anyone who likes to look at the various airport weather stations on Wunderground, 202004292350_AirportWeatherStations.xlsx will give you as complete listing of these stations as I could assemble.
      Now for a description of the various TAGs:
      PEN = Pensacola area

PAN - Panama City Area

TAL - Tallahassee Area

EPN - Eastern Panhandle

CNF - Central North Florida

JAX - Jacksonville area

NEF - Northeast Florida - Dayona + St. Augustine and surrounding area

NWC - Northwest Central Florida

SWC - Southwest Central Florida

NIC - North Inland Central Florida

SIC - South Inland Central Florida

ECF - East Central Florida

SWF - Southwest Florida

SEF - Southeast Florida

MUK - Miami and the Upper Keys

KEY - The South and Western Florida Keys

0000_202011040720_F_SQL_v2.xlsx 202007121300_NOAA_WeatherStations_TemperatureOnly.xlsx 202004292350_AirportWeatherStations.xlsx
    • kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      While perusing a few threads referencing the 1835 freeze, 1894-1895 freeze and the 1899 freeze, there were a few mentions of this book.  There are used copies available on Amazon for less than $20 so I decided to order it.  After reading it, I’d certainly recommend it.  While the content is presented primarily from the point of view of someone interested in commercial citrus growing, the information about each of the events is certainly relevant to palm horticulture.
      The book was a welcome relief from staring at a screen all day after working a job that typically centers around doing the same.  There are a lot of references and to the small cities throughout the state since they are typically where citrus is grown, and the weather data is obviously of interest to anyone growing palms since the same freezes are typically what impacts what is long-term or bulletproof in an area.
      The book contained weather records and quotes from the various growers as well as descriptions of the weather before and after the freeze.  Some of the quotes are humorous in spite of the fact that these folks likely lost a lot of money due to these events.  Almost all areas are at least represented in the weather records, including Key West in some cases.
      There are actually two freezes from California noted in the book (1937 and 1990).  In my case, the book does provide some weather readings from Lakeland City Hall rather than the airport, and has some weather readings from Bok Tower to compare to the Mammoth Grove area in Lake Wales to illustrate the difference elevation makes during a radiational event vs. an advective event.  There is also information on a few of our early and late season frosts that have the potential to impact tropical plants and citrus alike.  There book also covers an inverted freeze, where north and central Florida were not impacted as harshly as south Florida. 
      The cover photo actually came from our local newspaper, The Ledger.
      As the book was released in 1997, the 1996 freeze is the last one fully covered.  If you want a screen break and you like the data on the weather forums - give this one a read.
      Book Information: A History of Florida Citrus Freezes by John A. Attaway, Ph.D. (June 1st, 1997)
      Amazon Listing: https://www.amazon.com/John-Attaway/dp/0944961037/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=A+History+of+Florida+Citrus+Freezes&qid=1599060452&sr=8-1
      Some links posted by @richtrav @tropical1 and @Matthew92 referencing this book:
      https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/4720-long-and-lat/&do=findComment&comment=81717
      https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/9124-freezing-degree-hours/&do=findComment&comment=153877
      https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/9289-what-is-a-dewpoint/&do=findComment&comment=157382
      https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/59364-orlando-area-winters-recent-trends-and-history/