IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sold House! Large Rare Ptychosperma propinquum Needs to be SAVED in SW Florida

HorsesnPalms

Hello everyone!

I have sold my home and must move my Ptychosperma propinquum before Saturday, June 2. It is located in Port Charlotte, Florida. I have already left the house and the new owners are allowing me to return to get this palm before they move in.

It is stunning and has already been trimmed back for moving. I have added photos of it before it was trimmed and some after.

This is a rare palm especially for this area. It has been growing beside my 'former' home next to a large bottle brush tree. This blocked it from the wind, except for the part that was higher than the house. During the cold spouts I would wrap it with a piece of carpet and plastic as high up as I could go. So about 6 feet. The last time I measured it was 14 feet tall. It had many shoots off of it but these were trimmed to make moving easier. It will grow back without any problems. I gave it fertilizer twice a year and watched it for bugs. This was my baby and it is killing me that I cannot keep 'him'. We are moving too far north and unfortunately a house with a massive atrium isn't in the budget. :-)

I know it is quite valuable, and have only seen one at Fairchild gardens. If you aren't familiar with this palm learn more here: http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Ptychosperma_propinquum

There aren't many photos of it online. I have searched and searched.

The trimmed version looks a bit bare, but he is still just as gorgeous and has been growing quite quickly.

If you are interested in coming to get him please contact me immediately. I am sure we can come to an agreement.  Serious inquiries only, please.

PS It could be potted in a VERY large pot if you needed some time before a final placement or if you are a nursery and want to resale. 

THANK YOU!

Ptychosperma-propinquum2.thumb.jpg.9f8b1Ptychosperma_propinquum_Nov2017.thumb.jpPP-July2017-2.thumb.jpg.04d86d514c484d1fPP-July2017.thumb.jpg.4ca362e7bf043752d7pp-12-2016.thumb.jpg.e2c60e7a16883b127f1ptychosperma-propinquum-trimmed-May-2018

• Upvote 3

I failed to mention that they intend to cut the tree down! They have clear cut most of the property already. It is so sad. I don't want this gorgeous palm to end up that way.

Hopefully you find it a well caring home. If need be try some botanical gardens, offer it as a donation. I wish you luck.

Mark

1 hour ago, Brian1960 said:

sent pm

Hi Brian

I just checked and don't see a message from you.

18 hours ago, Mostapha said:

Hopefully you find it a well caring home. If need be try some botanical gardens, offer it as a donation. I wish you luck.

Mark

Thank you, Mark. That is a great idea. I will contact a few of them. Fingers crossed. :-)

Hope you were able to find your palm a new home. It's a shame that the new owners don't see the beauty in the vast world of palms that all of us here have grown to appreciate so much. As Rare as this palm is I'm sure that a nursery or again a botanical garden would love it as a show piece, makes me wish I lived in your area.

Mark

Hi everyone! The palm has a new home. I am so excited I am beside myself. I was so worried that I wasn't able to sleep until his new guardian angel picked him up.

Thank you all for your input and to the Palm Talk forums for the outlet to make this match happen.

Also, a big thank you to 'his new owner,  @Brian1960  Please be sure to send me some photos along the way, if you don't mind. I am going to miss that palm terribly. But you have no idea how grateful I am to you for giving this glorious palm a safe home.

Cheers!

Robin

• Upvote 2

Congrats, glad you found it a good home with another palm lover. And I would like to wish you good luck in your new home, I'm sure you will build another garden to rival the one that you just left.

Mark

19 hours ago, Mostapha said:

Congrats, glad you found it a good home with another palm lover. And I would like to wish you good luck in your new home, I'm sure you will build another garden to rival the one that you just left.

Mark

Thank you, Mark. I do plan on doing just that. I can't live without my palms or my other tropical plants. I am a serious addict! lol

• Upvote 1