IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Outdoor pot temperature

Rickybobby

Hey everyone today record breaking temps here in southern Ontario 95 degrees. I have  8 potted palms outside. The pots are plastic. Question is. Those pots are blazing hot. My sabal palmetto had earthworms on top looking to cool off. Is there a temperature that will cook my palms that are in pots? Or is this just awesome and he roots will be loving this?

thanks everyone 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

Hey everyone today record breaking temps here in southern Ontario 95 degrees. I have  8 potted palms outside. The pots are plastic. Question is. Those pots are blazing hot. My sabal palmetto had earthworms on top looking to cool off. Is there a temperature that will cook my palms that are in pots? Or is this just awesome and he roots will be loving this?

thanks everyone 

They're good. Just make sure to water them as needed. I have many Alfies in pots outside along a southern facing cinder block wall and atop of cement(driveway). The readings are at 50C from both the wall and the ground.  They began to dry up from the tips. I thought it was sunburn.  But no. The water in the pots had evaporated.... I did the finger method in the pots. The soil was moist from above... however from beneath it was dry....

I'm watering the pots every two days. Their green color is returning.

20180528_151255-2656x1494.jpg

20180528_151301-2656x1494.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

29 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

They're good. Just make sure to water them as needed. I have many Alfies in pots outside along a southern facing cinder block wall and atop of cement(driveway). The readings are at 50C from both the wall and the ground.  They began to dry up from the tips. I thought it was sunburn.  But no. The water in the pots had evaporated.... I did the finger method in the pots. The soil was moist from above... however from beneath it was dry....

I'm watering the pots every two days. Their green color is returning.

20180528_151255-2656x1494.jpg

20180528_151301-2656x1494.jpg

Thank you. I have a moisture metre and it says that at the bottom I’m moist to wet since I just watered so I will keep on my usual and hope the palms enjoy the heat. 

• Upvote 1

Be wary of employing a moisture meter in pots. Usually it will always produce a "moist/wet" reading. Especially if the medium is black.  For pots, nothing like the finger method. For planted palms, the meter is great. Jmho

(I learned the hard way)

Edited by GottmitAlex

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

1 hour ago, GottmitAlex said:

Be wary of employing a moisture meter in pots. Usually it will always produce a "moist/wet" reading. Especially if the medium is black.  For pots, nothing like the finger method. For planted palms, the meter is great. Jmho

(I learned the hard way)

Good call yes I understand. I sometimes use it for a quick check and yeah the fingers are the best. It can work against you it will read dry and the soil is soggy 

What we have done when we worried about plastic pots getting too hot, was to put that pot into one exactly the same or any pot one size bigger. 

Even just adding the exact black plastic pot makes a big difference. 

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

So far the crazy heat has been great. We are in a cool down now for a week but everything has fronds opening or spears growing very tall. What a great start for palm season here in south western Ontario Canada 

• Upvote 1

Adonidias love heat, esp. humid heat as long as they get necessary rainfall or watering. Here they take 6 months in the 90s and an absolutely ferocious sun.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.