IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Free Caryota mitis seed!

DoomsDave

I’m thrilled to announce a giveaway of Caryota mitis seeds!

Free to anyone who sends a PM with name and mailing address, worldwide.

FEE20BE8-4F9C-4ADD-8434-D96C75996532.thu6C1E05C9-A6F9-4913-9C64-1B83F56B9714.thu

• Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

P.M. sent

Any Caryota appreciated.

She is a beauty.

Thanks Mark

Edited by Mostapha
Added

Great bargains ahead, free Caryota mitis seeds, I'm in.  I'm interested Dave. Here's mail address!Address.jpg

This is the Caryota of No Regrets; max height is about 10 feet (3.3 m) and while the individual stems go to seed and die, new stems grow to replace them.

Nice as an informal hedge outdoors or as graceful pot plants inside.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Too cool.   Love the look.   I have to remember to wear gloves when handling the seed.  I won't make that mistake again......   Yikes

PM, to you DoomsDave

29 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

Too cool.   Love the look.   I have to remember to wear gloves when handling the seed.  I won't make that mistake again......   Yikes

PM, to you DoomsDave

I wouldn't worry too much about the seeds here; I've cleaned them.

• Upvote 1

I find the best thing for that is a rock tumbler, providing there isn't hundreds that need to be cleaned. Great for smaller seeds. If already cleaned, much appreciated. 

I kind of was hoping you had changed your mind on the C. Urens seeds. I remember you had mentioned before about it coming down soon and was going into seed, but also due to its growth speed and size you wouldn't be dispersing them out. Never hurts to ask.  Mark

Edited by Mostapha
Added content

15 minutes ago, Mostapha said:

I find the best thing for that is a rock tumbler, providing there isn't hundreds that need to be cleaned. Great for smaller seeds. If already cleaned, much appreciated. 

I kind of was hoping you had changed your mind on the C. Urens seeds. I remember you had mentioned before about it coming down soon and was going into seed, but also due to its growth speed and size you wouldn't be dispersing them out. Never hurts to ask.  Mark

I awaken, screaming in the night, at too many thoughts of those @#$%^!& C. urens.

Cleaning the seeds is an exercise that’s for sure.

That's a single seed in my hand, and below that, is a bucket full of seeds after being threshed for the tenth time by a wire wheel, after being attacked with a potato masher, and pummeled (per @Mostapha's suggestion) with sharp-edged gravel in an improvised mixer.

Nice, fruity aroma, but careful, they're supposed to be irritating. I washed my hands after, no rash. Think I got a bit in my eye, though. Eye drops helped.

5E9777A8-8594-4263-A9A9-1B6F16A922FE.thuD9DFE960-498D-48DA-BFD1-BAA1F0C3372A.thu

• Upvote 4

Hi Dave,

what a mess:yay:

I would take some but I'm afraid they will not reach me as 50% of your seeds. The Brahea seeds never came to my place, looks like they got lost or something similar.

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

On 5/31/2018, 8:59:17, Palmensammler said:

Hi Dave,

I would take some but I'm afraid they will not reach me as 50% of your seeds. The Brahea seeds never came to my place, looks like they got lost or something similar.

Eckhard

As we say in this country, try try again . . . . (Please re-send your address)

On 31/05/2018, 10:59:17, Palmensammler said:

Hi Dave,

Eckhard

Postal system is good and fast in DE. They must have been confiscated by customs.

Maybe the system is fast in Germany and sometimes the customs confiscate a parcel but I heard and suffered myself only for plants without certificate. Seeds normally pass the customs inspection without problems I don't know what happens if seeds are not cleaned.

PM Sent, Dave!  Here fishy fishy fishy!

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Hay Dave, Sent a message way back on May 27th and haven't heard from you yet. Have any seeds left?

Great bargains ahead, free Caryota mitis seeds, I'm in.  I'm interested Dave. Here's mail address!Address.jpg

Hi Dave, 

Do you still have some seeds? I would try again with Caryotas, my first attemp was 10 years ago and none of them survived.

Thank you very much.

I volunteer to resend the seeds to Germany in case Palmensammler do not receive them, there may be less problems if the shipment is from an EU country

Alicante (East coast of Spain)

Mediterranean climate, very hot and dry summers and mild almost frost-free winters.

Poor rain average.

Hi Canelgat,

you live in a very nice area of Spain, I visited it twice as we have a friend living in Denia.

Don't you have problems with shipments from non-EU countries? There are so many wonderful seedlings available in the US but our customs would destroy them immediately if they come without certificate.

Seeds are normally not a problem, rewceived lots of Yucca and Palm seeds from worldwide. Unfortunately it happened with Dave's seeds a few time last year.

Eckhard

From my own experience Eckhard, Spain is quite relaxed in terms of importing plant material from overseas. I used to receive 5 kg USPS boxes of seedlings from Hawaii on a monthly basis without a phyto, and without any problems at all. That was 10 years ago.

I bought you some palms, when you lived here in Andalucía...

Mediterranean climate, very hot and dry summers and mild almost frost-free winters.

Poor rain average.

Envelopes going out

58E6903D-C22F-43E1-A4F9-6F450DA654A3.thu

• Upvote 3

The seeds are pretty much cleaned except for a little scrap here and there.

What’s weird is the size variation.

Some are peppercorn size others about four times as large.

D6EBCD7B-33F2-4A1B-B68C-2A832714C518.thu9FD066D2-B6DD-4BCA-B19F-3A8E26D67CC7.thu

• Upvote 3

All of the ones I checked sink like stones. I once bought some variegated mitis seed from an online source and they were small, too, and they sprouted. So, I'm sending everyone a mixed bag.

Soak all of them, plant all of them, let me know: (a) how long to grow; and (b) if the seed size makes any difference. Maybe more than one embryo?

• Upvote 3

The small seeds may hold a big surprise. All you need to do is look at the seeds of palms such as the Washingtonias, a small seed being the beginning of a great giant. Good things come in small packages.

I always have great luck with your seeds, Dave, and they are always appreciated. You have broadened my palm collection, as well as the collection of a few of my personal friends. We all  are very thankful to you, and others from "palmtalk" for seeds as well as the wonderful shared knowledge. I'll give any palm seeds my best shot.

Mark

• Upvote 4

totally agree

Poor rain average.

On 11/6/2018 18:47:30, Palmensammler said:

Hola Canelgat,

vives en una zona muy agradable de España, la visité dos veces ya que tenemos un amigo que vive en Denia.

¿No tienes problemas con los envíos desde países no pertenecientes a la UE? Hay tantas plántulas maravillosas disponibles en los EE. UU. Pero nuestras costumbres las destruirían de inmediato si vienen sin certificado.

Las semillas normalmente no son un problema, se reencontraron muchas semillas de Yucca y Palm de todo el mundo. Desafortunadamente sucedió con las semillas de Dave algunas veces el año pasado.

Eckhard

Thank you Eckhard, Denia is more beautifull than Alicante, but my work is not there. Anyway I like Alicante, I came here 24 years ago and seems I gonna stay forever.

As Jonh says is easy yo receive some seedlings from overseas, there is always a little risk, but normally I get the plants without problems.

In the other hand,  I have been out of Palms world for six years and haven't try again till then, only with seeds.

Poor rain average.

Hi Canelgat,

nice tro read my answer in spanish. I'd love to speak more languages. But Denia is more turistic what I don't like so much. I'd like to stay with residents even during holidays.

I'm afraid that due to the RPW and other desease the customs are more sensitive and critical now.

If you like we can sometimes do a trial. Have a friend in the US who can send seedlings from palm hybrids and another for yucca rhizomes. We can instruct them to put no senders address on it to avoid traceabilty. We can then share the goods as well.

Eckhard

Good Day Dave,

Checked the pages on the forum today and saw the batch of envelopes on there way out. So I went down to get the mail and received the little ones today. Many thanks to you for giving the seeds to happy homes and I am happy too. Send them into a pool of warm water for a few days. Thanks again O'mighty Seed Wizard!

• Upvote 1

Thanks Dave,

I received the Caryota seeds today. I went down to my local post office and wrested them away from postal perps. Now it is time to soak the seeds so germinating may begin.

jimmyt

Package Arrived!  (after a week of "WTF" from the USPS) 

Soaking now!

THANKS DAVE!!!

Seeds arrived yesterday, I have found four floating so I will let them soaking for a week.

Thank you very much Dave

Poor rain average.

Mine arrived today. Crazy that the Braeas did not.

Thanks again Dave.

Eckhard

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ParkerK said:

Houston we have lift off! I’ve got a few of them germinating already. Many mahalos @DoomsDave!

You're doing better than me!

These are starting to pop for me, I need to transplant to individual pots soon.

• Upvote 1

On 8/9/2018, 6:50:21, Funkthulhu said:

These are starting to pop for me, I need to transplant to individual pots soon.

Can you tell if it's just the largest seeds or all of them? They varied in size so much.

So far it is only the big ones, no smalls even look active at this point.