IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

CIDP Escapes Harsh Winter

frienduvafrond

1 hour ago, Anthony_B said:

Is that the Wilmington Checkers CIDP?

Yes, that is the one at Checkers. I thought it was dead for sure, then suddenly it pushed out growth. I wish they had given the sylvestris at Carolina Beach a chance before they cut it down . I think it would have pulled through.

• Upvote 1

This is why you wait until it starts getting hot outside before you cut anything down. At the end of summer it should look nice. 

• Upvote 2

PalmTreeDude

9 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

This is why you wait until it starts getting hot outside before you cut anything down. At the end of summer it should look nice. 

I'm glad I waited as everything came back! Had I been hasty I would have a barren garden instead of the growing and flowering one I see today.

Everyone is so hasty with palms it seems.

• Upvote 2

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

17 hours ago, frienduvafrond said:

Yes, that is the one at Checkers. I thought it was dead for sure, then suddenly it pushed out growth. I wish they had given the sylvestris at Carolina Beach a chance before they cut it down . I think it would have pulled through.

Man, that thing is doing way better than the butia in my yard.  Mine got completely annihilated.  I decapitated it and it has a little 2" chunk that pushed out.  No fronds yet.  Either that Checkers is an awesome microclimate, I'm in a gnarly cold spot, or CIDP's are a helluva lot tougher than given credit.  Or a combination of all three.

I walked past the big robusta today at 2nd and Market and there's still no growth showing.  I hope that beauty isn't dead.

Edited by Anthony_B

12 hours ago, Anthony_B said:

Man, that thing is doing way better than the butia in my yard.  Mine got completely annihilated.  I decapitated it and it has a little 2" chunk that pushed out.  No fronds yet.  Either that Checkers is an awesome microclimate, I'm in a gnarly cold spot, or CIDP's are a helluva lot tougher than given credit.  Or a combination of all three.

I walked past the big robusta today at 2nd and Market and there's still no growth showing.  I hope that beauty isn't dead.

That is certainly a nice microclimate, lots of concrete surrounding it. That is also a tough CIDP. I remember when they planted it there it was just a pup. The big box stores used to sell the CIDP's by the hundreds, if not thousands here, and yet not many to be found. They stopped selling them, I assume , do to the majority of them not surviving. A strange year indeed ,when a CIDP does better than butias. I do see a lot of butias starting to push out spears now though, we'll see what things look like by july.

10 hours ago, frienduvafrond said:

That is certainly a nice microclimate, lots of concrete surrounding it. That is also a tough CIDP. I remember when they planted it there it was just a pup. The big box stores used to sell the CIDP's by the hundreds, if not thousands here, and yet not many to be found. They stopped selling them, I assume , do to the majority of them not surviving. A strange year indeed ,when a CIDP does better than butias. I do see a lot of butias starting to push out spears now though, we'll see what things look like by july.

The freezing rain may be the factor.  That night of the snowstorm, the first couple hours were freezing rain before the precipitation changed over.  All the palms in my yard were coated in a thick layer of ice.  Then the snow came.  Maybe CIDP's handle the freezing rain better?  Who knows.  It could just be a very strong CIDP, and the weaker butia's are the ones showing so much damage.  Maybe the strongest 10% of CIDP's are > 50% of butia's.

I have been to many different local nurseries, and I go to Home Depot or Lowes just about every weekend because of my gardening addiction, and I've never seen a CIDP for sale anywhere nearby.  I have been growing one from a little tiny spear I bought off ebay for about 15 months now and it has almost filled out my 3G pot.  It's almost time to transplant.  I messed up one night and left it sitting outside when it hit 23 degrees.  It was frozen solid but it did just fine.  There was some very minor tip burn on the bottom-most frond, but I needed to prune up the trunk anyway.  Hopefully I got myself a strong one.

Funny thing is I was at Lowes today and they were selling huge pygmy date palm's in 25G+ containers, which are WAY less hardy than CIDP's.  I don't understand that one.  These were beyond houseplant size.  They looked like they were in kiddie pools and were fully triple-trunked.

What was amazing was the weather after the snow storm.  It was wild having 5 days in a row that didn't get above 40 degrees for a high here, but I seem to remember we had 6-7 days in a row of the clearest, bluest skies I've ever seen.  We went days upon days upon days on end where you didn't see a single cloud.  I am most of the way through my first full year living here, but it still blows me away how there are routinely blocks of 4-5 days in a row where you will not see a single cloud.  That just doesn't happen in the northeast.

Edited by Anthony_B

13 hours ago, Anthony_B said:

The freezing rain may be the factor.  That night of the snowstorm, the first couple hours were freezing rain before the precipitation changed over.  All the palms in my yard were coated in a thick layer of ice.  Then the snow came.  Maybe CIDP's handle the freezing rain better?  Who knows.  It could just be a very strong CIDP, and the weaker butia's are the ones showing so much damage.  Maybe the strongest 10% of CIDP's are > 50% of butia's.

I have been to many different local nurseries, and I go to Home Depot or Lowes just about every weekend because of my gardening addiction, and I've never seen a CIDP for sale anywhere nearby.  I have been growing one from a little tiny spear I bought off ebay for about 15 months now and it has almost filled out my 3G pot.  It's almost time to transplant.  I messed up one night and left it sitting outside when it hit 23 degrees.  It was frozen solid but it did just fine.  There was some very minor tip burn on the bottom-most frond, but I needed to prune up the trunk anyway.  Hopefully I got myself a strong one.

Funny thing is I was at Lowes today and they were selling huge pygmy date palm's in 25G+ containers, which are WAY less hardy than CIDP's.  I don't understand that one.  These were beyond houseplant size.  They looked like they were in kiddie pools and were fully triple-trunked.

What was amazing was the weather after the snow storm.  It was wild having 5 days in a row that didn't get above 40 degrees for a high here, but I seem to remember we had 6-7 days in a row of the clearest, bluest skies I've ever seen.  We went days upon days upon days on end where you didn't see a single cloud.  I am most of the way through my first full year living here, but it still blows me away how there are routinely blocks of 4-5 days in a row where you will not see a single cloud.  That just doesn't happen in the northeast.

It has been probably ten years now since they have sold CIDP's. They used to sell Livinstona Chinensis quite regularly also. About 5 years ago you could get a 12' b&b queen palm for $99. I regret not getting one just to play with at that price. In the early 2000's they were selling Wodyetia, and Adondinia as cold hardy palms. I informed people that they were not cold hardy in this area, and the manager asked me to leave. haha. I guess I got the last lauph on that one. I wish they would bring in a few of those palms for the hobbyist though.

• 7 months later...

It's a similar situation with my CIDP, touch and go each winter. Will it survive? Will it die? Will it spear pull? Will it defoliate?

So far this winter has been pretty mild on both sides of the Atlantic. My CIDP is in a pot, sat on my patio, and hasn't suffered any cold damage as of yet, even after a freak low of 23F a few weeks back. Generally most nights in winter here are around 35-40F. Just about warm enough for it to survive, providing no freak extreme polar vortex events come along. Like those 1 in every 20 year cold snaps. CIDP definitely isn't bulletproof here, just like it isn't where you are, right? 

Glad to see your one is still trucking along! What is the coldest temp that thing has had to endure in its lifespan? 

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Looking Great

I've seen many CIDPs come back from last winter as Butias didn't. Maybe we should plant more of these than Butias?  

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

3 minutes ago, NC_Palms said:

Looking Great

I've seen many CIDPs come back from last winter as Butias didn't. Maybe we should plant more of these than Butias?  

I can't vouch for up in NC but the CIDP's just never look that great around here, compared to the pindo's around here there is no comparison. The pindo's are much happier in our climate then the CIDP's IMO. I'm not aware of any pindo casualties from last winter, we certainly didn't get a cold as you did though. 

Just now, RJ said:

I can't vouch for up in NC but the CIDP's just never look that great around here, compared to the pindo's around here there is no comparison. The pindo's are much happier in our climate then the CIDP's IMO. I'm not aware of any pindo casualties from last winter, we certainly didn't get a cold as you did though. 

I have this theory that CIDPs are more root hardy than Butias. I've seen CIDPs defoliate yet recover from temperatures that killed nearby Butias. 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

23 minutes ago, NC_Palms said:

I have this theory that CIDPs are more root hardy than Butias. I've seen CIDPs defoliate yet recover from temperatures that killed nearby Butias. 

That very well might be the case. But how the the CIDP's look in general? My point wasn't directed at hardiness as butia is bullet proof around me. The CIDP's that I have seen just don't look all that good in our climate. There is a difference in surviving and thriving. ;)

Edited by RJ

24 minutes ago, RJ said:

That very well might be the case. But how the the CIDP's look in general? My point wasn't directed at hardiness as butia is bullet proof around me. The CIDP's that I have seen just don't look all that good in our climate. There is a difference in surviving and thriving. ;)

After this winter they looked very poor. Maybe in a few more years (if we don’t get another Arctic outbreak) they will look healthier. 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

On 1/6/2019, 1:38:03, UK_Palms said:

It's a similar situation with my CIDP, touch and go each winter. Will it survive? Will it die? Will it spear pull? Will it defoliate?

So far this winter has been pretty mild on both sides of the Atlantic. My CIDP is in a pot, sat on my patio, and hasn't suffered any cold damage as of yet, even after a freak low of 23F a few weeks back. Generally most nights in winter here are around 35-40F. Just about warm enough for it to survive, providing no freak extreme polar vortex events come along. Like those 1 in every 20 year cold snaps. CIDP definitely isn't bulletproof here, just like it isn't where you are, right? 

Glad to see your one is still trucking along! What is the coldest temp that thing has had to endure in its lifespan? 

This is not mine. It is planted at a fast food place in town. Nice micro-climate. Last year it saw between 12F-14F, and a brutal week of snow, ice and below freezing temps. It has been a trooper.

heres one in cape hatteras picture from 2014 or 2015

5c098c0339a40_ScreenShot2018-12-06at2.12

after this winter other palms in a very southern area of the state37597967_10155528453832483_570610092018227459545_10155145398342483_7937570063087

• Upvote 1

also some pictures of the same palm after the summer

46446033_10155772746997483_9062484743790

and a before and after of another

48427683_10155838272817483_4546667244427

48425345_10155838273622483_3690410529798

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

Wow, that is amazing. I am sure another major threat to CIDPs in the Northern areas of its limits on the East Coast are the owners chain saws. I have seen many palms cut down literally weeks after defoliation while the ones given a chance all recovered. People see it as ugly and assume it's dead so they just go cut it down. 

PalmTreeDude

1 hour ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

Did you once say that those photos were from Atlantic Beach? Where exactly are they there? I’ll love to see if I can check them out 

• Upvote 1

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

30 minutes ago, NC_Palms said:

Did you once say that those photos were from Atlantic Beach? Where exactly are they there? I’ll love to see if I can check them out 

i dont know exactly where these arent my photos

• Upvote 1