• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Hilo Jason

Creation of my Hawaiian Garden - Horizon View Hilo

Merlyn2220

That's really amazing progress, and beautiful palms!  Oddly enough, the one that I like the most is the row of Pinanga Coronata.  Maybe because I could (possibly) grow that here in a cold 9b.  I may try this with Dypsis Pembana, which is apparently a few degrees hardier.  Thanks for the pictures!

joe_OC

Jason- that D ambanja looks great.  Does the black peppering go away?

OC2Texaspalmlvr

Palm envy is so bad whenever I visit this thread :yay:

Back to cold hardy for me haha 

• Like 2

palmfriend

Jason,

the most of your palms are still young but they are already looking so beautiful!

This thread is really a great pleasure and inspiration!

Best regards -

Lars

• Like 1

Hilo Jason
On 1/18/2020 at 2:44 PM, Merlyn2220 said:

That's really amazing progress, and beautiful palms!  Oddly enough, the one that I like the most is the row of Pinanga Coronata.  Maybe because I could (possibly) grow that here in a cold 9b.  I may try this with Dypsis Pembana, which is apparently a few degrees hardier.  Thanks for the pictures!

I agree that Pinanga Coronata is one of my favorites and after seeing how fast they grow here I’m an even bigger fan of them now. I regret not planting that entire row with P. Coronata. On one end I have 2 Dypsis Lanceolata and on the other end are 2 Areca Vestiaria. I wanted to mix up the hedge but the Coronata have out-performed the others and have grown much thicker as well, which is what I wanted with the hedge. 

• Like 1

Hilo Jason
9 minutes ago, Hilo Jason said:

I agree that Pinanga Coronata is one of my favorites and after seeing how fast they grow here I’m an even bigger fan of them now. I regret not planting that entire row with P. Coronata. On one end I have 2 Dypsis Lanceolata and on the other end are 2 Areca Vestiaria. I wanted to mix up the hedge but the Coronata have out-performed the others and have grown much thicker as well, which is what I wanted with the hedge. 

Here’s a picture I just took that shows the Dypsis Lanceolata on the left of the Pinanga Coronata. Still nice looking palms, but just not filling in like the Coronata did. Although in another year or two I’m sure they will. These were also 1 gallon plants and are now over 10 feet tall. 

42EBBE7D-4B39-4159-8B16-24EFA3DD828C.thumb.jpeg.9aa9b74abb71fcc6c3394c10b241a94d.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hilo Jason
On 1/18/2020 at 3:02 PM, joe_OC said:

Jason- that D ambanja looks great.  Does the black peppering go away?

For now, it’s keeping that black peppering. Here are a couple pictures from the newest leaf which is about 7 feet tall. 

A397CD07-441B-45D7-97E8-0711A8188F4F.thumb.jpeg.6f419aed743e411633c01b167531ed10.jpeg

241EAD62-26DF-4168-9899-154CDE8C90EC.thumb.jpeg.1477742679e0aab637ad1bd21a21cc3b.jpeg

• Like 1

joe_OC
4 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

For now, it’s keeping that black peppering. Here are a couple pictures from the newest leaf which is about 7 feet tall. 

A397CD07-441B-45D7-97E8-0711A8188F4F.thumb.jpeg.6f419aed743e411633c01b167531ed10.jpeg

241EAD62-26DF-4168-9899-154CDE8C90EC.thumb.jpeg.1477742679e0aab637ad1bd21a21cc3b.jpeg

That's become such a winner.

• Like 1

The Gerg

Every day you walk outside of your house and take a look at your yard you must have to pinch yourself to make sure you’re not dreaming.

• Like 2

Big Eye

Your forest is filling in nicely! I always pass it on the way to my lot! :shaka-2:

• Like 1

Hilo Jason
22 hours ago, Big Eye said:

Your forest is filling in nicely! I always pass it on the way to my lot! :shaka-2:

Stop by sometime! 

Big Eye
On 1/22/2020 at 9:40 AM, Hilo Jason said:

Stop by sometime! 

Seeing that we will be building our house very soon, this thread gives me hope of what our lot could look like if plans change. Also, being so close, I'm sure our soils are the same. How long did it take you to dig and break through that one hole with straight rock? So not looking forward to using the o`o bar to break through all that rock we have...

Hilo Jason
23 hours ago, Big Eye said:

Seeing that we will be building our house very soon, this thread gives me hope of what our lot could look like if plans change. Also, being so close, I'm sure our soils are the same. How long did it take you to dig and break through that one hole with straight rock? So not looking forward to using the o`o bar to break through all that rock we have...

I have a good amount of soil in my front yard, so that has been very nice.  The backyard has less and is where I encounter more rock.  The most I will spend is about 30 minutes or so, chipping away at rock and trying to get something to budge.  If it's blue rock, then there's no chance and you just find another spot or plant right on top of it and mound as much soil up as possible to give the palm something to root into.  Thankfully I haven't dealt with that much.  

Big Eye
17 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

I have a good amount of soil in my front yard, so that has been very nice.  The backyard has less and is where I encounter more rock.  The most I will spend is about 30 minutes or so, chipping away at rock and trying to get something to budge.  If it's blue rock, then there's no chance and you just find another spot or plant right on top of it and mound as much soil up as possible to give the palm something to root into.  Thankfully I haven't dealt with that much.  

Thanks! I've been lucky that the 1 acre area that the plants will go have been graded so most of the big slabs of blue rock have been eaten up by the dozer's ripper. I know for sure that it still won't be as easy as I'm hoping. Thanks, Jason!