Jump to content
Hilo Jason

Creation of my Hawaiian Garden - Horizon View Hilo

Recommended Posts

LJG

Stop wasting time... rip out all the grass :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palm Tree Jim

Listen to Len.....the grass needs to go!

Think of all the rare palms you can plant in it’s place.

The garden is looking great Jason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chatta

Can't wait to come to the big island again so I can visit ur garden, sad I missed it last time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bill Austin

Jason you have done an amazing job in such short time ,it's a joy to see some one so enthusiastic about there garden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Big Eye

Wow, amazing! I enjoyed the pics and thought process for you garden creation from post 1!

Do you live in the Kaumana area? You have almost the same view as me in your pics of the ocean, you seem to be just a little lower elevation than I am. As I mentioned to Tim, I grew up in this area and has been my "stomping grounds" since a youngster so there's some things that jump out at me. Maybe I can hire you guys in the future to help me design my garden/forest! Great job!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kim

Make the grass your paths through the palms and dispense with the rest. :) Enough width for a few passes with the lawnmower, and fill in the rest with mulch and rock, ornamentals and plan your future understory. Looking so good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josue Diaz

Incredible growth in 11 months! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
palmfriend

Jason,

 

looking at your updates is getting more and more time consuming...:D

Fantastic!! Especially those before and after photos - what a change in such a short time. It must be a palm growers paradise...

Please keep the updates coming -

best regards

Lars

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hilo Jason
On 2/14/2019 at 2:41 PM, Palm Tree Jim said:

Listen to Len.....the grass needs to go!

Think of all the rare palms you can plant in it’s place.

The garden is looking great Jason.

I'm getting there!  Unloaded another truckload of mulch today and smothered a lot of grass with it!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hilo Jason
On 2/15/2019 at 5:46 AM, Bill Austin said:

Jason you have done an amazing job in such short time ,it's a joy to see some one so enthusiastic about there garden.

Thanks Bill!  That means a lot coming from you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hilo Jason
On 2/15/2019 at 10:33 AM, Big Eye said:

Wow, amazing! I enjoyed the pics and thought process for you garden creation from post 1!

Do you live in the Kaumana area? You have almost the same view as me in your pics of the ocean, you seem to be just a little lower elevation than I am. As I mentioned to Tim, I grew up in this area and has been my "stomping grounds" since a youngster so there's some things that jump out at me. Maybe I can hire you guys in the future to help me design my garden/forest! Great job!

Yep, I live off of Kaumana.  Feel free to stop by sometime.  Send me a PM and we can work it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hilo Jason
On 2/15/2019 at 10:39 AM, Kim said:

Make the grass your paths through the palms and dispense with the rest. :) Enough width for a few passes with the lawnmower, and fill in the rest with mulch and rock, ornamentals and plan your future understory. Looking so good!

Hey Kim,

That's the plan for a lot of the front yard.  to use the grass as pathways instead of just big open spaces like it started as.  One truckload of mulch at a time! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hilo Jason
On 2/15/2019 at 7:32 PM, palmfriend said:

Jason,

 

looking at your updates is getting more and more time consuming...:D

Fantastic!! Especially those before and after photos - what a change in such a short time. It must be a palm growers paradise...

Please keep the updates coming -

best regards

Lars

Thanks Lars!  More updates to come soon.  Always something happening out in the garden. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MattyB

Woah.  You're the master!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hilo Jason
17 hours ago, MattyB said:

Woah.  You're the master!!!!!

Hah, thanks Matty!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hilo Jason

Planted a Joey palm the other day. Working on some companion plants and creating new planters. More updates soon. 

B40D44E6-274C-4F1E-B232-BC15652D3A1B.thumb.jpeg.13ec84bbed4b2ce1d5c612b781fb445b.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palm Tree Jim
6 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Planted a Joey palm the other day. Working on some companion plants and creating new planters. More updates soon. 

B40D44E6-274C-4F1E-B232-BC15652D3A1B.thumb.jpeg.13ec84bbed4b2ce1d5c612b781fb445b.jpeg

I hope someday to be able to say the same thing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Missi

That's it! I'm moving! :yay::wub2:  Just have to convince my hubby first.....:hmm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Missi

What kind of career opportunities are in Hilo? My hubby is in management in the Pest Control field and I'm in the Legal Administration field (but would be fine with switching it up, especially to work with plants and/or animals).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kim
9 hours ago, Missi said:

What kind of career opportunities are in Hilo? My hubby is in management in the Pest Control field and I'm in the Legal Administration field (but would be fine with switching it up, especially to work with plants and/or animals).

To put things in perspective, Hilo is on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean with a population of roughly 250,000 (or less). Hawaii County is the entire island. Visit the City Data website to get a handle on it. People who work remotely fare pretty well. People who own their own businesses and are really good at what they do fare pretty well. It is much more fun to vacation or retire on the Big Island than it is to look for work on the Big Island. But in relative terms.... palms are cheap!!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave-Vero

Growth rates are looking impressive, indeed.  Here in Florida, a mild, moist winter kept the palms happy and they've been growing and shedding leaves as if it's summer.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pete in Paradise Hills
On 2/15/2019 at 7:46 AM, Bill Austin said:

Jason you have done an amazing job in such short time ,it's a joy to see some one so enthusiastic about there garden.

Not surprising.  His Fallbrook garden was amazing too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Gerg

Am I jealous? Obviously! But happy you are getting to do what many of us just dream about doing.

I struggle making garden decisions in my garden and it’s smaller with far less options of “rare” palms then you now have.  I would be agonizing over decisions. But that’s not a bad problem to have I suppose.

Great job. Look forward for more updates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mark M @ S. Oceanside palms

Hey Jason,  Your palm paradise is really coming together!  I will be on Maui and then briefly visiting the big island around the 10th of April.  I would love to check out your place if you have some time aroun then.  Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hilo Jason
On 3/18/2019 at 10:58 AM, Mark M @ S. Oceanside palms said:

Hey Jason,  Your palm paradise is really coming together!  I will be on Maui and then briefly visiting the big island around the 10th of April.  I would love to check out your place if you have some time aroun then.  Mark

Hey Mark, it would be great to see you.  Please stop by when you are here.  PM me on here for the address, or call me.  I still have the same number I had when I lived in Fallbrook.  Hope it works out.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hilo Jason
On 3/15/2019 at 3:37 PM, Kim said:

To put things in perspective, Hilo is on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean with a population of roughly 250,000 (or less). Hawaii County is the entire island. Visit the City Data website to get a handle on it. People who work remotely fare pretty well. People who own their own businesses and are really good at what they do fare pretty well. It is much more fun to vacation or retire on the Big Island than it is to look for work on the Big Island. But in relative terms.... palms are cheap!!

Kim summed this up very well.  My wife and I own our own business and our work is computer based so we can live anywhere in the world as long as we have internet.  So the Big Island was a great choice for us and we haven't regretted the decision once.  I have seen plenty of shortages here though now that I've been here awhile and it's made me see opportunities.   Not any that I have the training for, but if anyone is a vet or a dentist, there's a huge need!  It takes months to get an appointment for either, and that's only if they are accepting new patients.  Or if you want to learn how to spray for fire ants, there's always a need for that!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Missi
On 3/15/2019 at 9:37 PM, Kim said:

To put things in perspective, Hilo is on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean with a population of roughly 250,000 (or less). Hawaii County is the entire island. Visit the City Data website to get a handle on it. People who work remotely fare pretty well. People who own their own businesses and are really good at what they do fare pretty well. It is much more fun to vacation or retire on the Big Island than it is to look for work on the Big Island. But in relative terms.... palms are cheap!!

They still need lawyers and pest control, no? :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hilo Jason
7 hours ago, Missi said:

They still need lawyers and pest control, no? :P

Lots of pests here, so plenty of need to control them!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×