Hilo Jason

Creation of my Hawaiian Garden - Horizon View Hilo

palmfriend

Jason,

your thread is eye-candy at its best! What wonderful and beautiful looking plants and palms you have!

It is so nice of you sharing them with us here on palmtalk - greatest thanks!

Please keep us posted!

best regards 

Lars

Dypsisdean

Man, have you been busy. A beautiful garden in record breaking time.

Even the rock work is nice - for a Haole. :)

• Like 1

Hilo Jason
On 8/8/2020 at 5:37 AM, Palm Tree Jim said:

Well done Jason.

And more importantly, to see your garden in person soon.

Thanks Jim, hope to see you over here in the near future.  

• Upvote 1

Hilo Jason
23 hours ago, necturus said:

Love Hilo. Beautiful garden.

What's a "Dypsis Decipiens Hybrid"? 

Thank you! 

The Dypsis Decipiens Hybrid was grown from seed off of a Dypsis Decipiens here on the Big Island, from a private garden.  Once seed was germinated and growing, the owner could tell that some of the seed must have hybridized with another Dypsis in his garden as it did not look like Decipiens at the seedling stage.  I did ask the owner and it sounds like there is a very large and flowering Dypsis Onilahensis in the vicinity, so I think its very possible that this could be Dypsis Decipiens x Onilahensis.  Sure looks like that could be the cross to me, but hybrids can be somewhat of a mystery, especially when they come out of gardens that have multiple flowering palms all happening at the same time.   

Hilo Jason
19 hours ago, palmfriend said:

Jason,

your thread is eye-candy at its best! What wonderful and beautiful looking plants and palms you have!

It is so nice of you sharing them with us here on palmtalk - greatest thanks!

Please keep us posted!

best regards 

Lars

Thank you Lars, and thanks for following from the beginning! 

• Like 1

Hilo Jason
13 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

Man, have you been busy. A beautiful garden in record breaking time.

Even the rock work is nice - for a Haole. :)

Thank you Dean, hopefully you can see it in person sometime soon.  

my Haole back can only do so much of that rock work before it tells me I'm done!  Much respect for those guys who do that all day! 

LJG

Jason, are the Albo cross and the Presto cross the same two I got from your old garden? Meaning same seed batch? Hope so :) 

akamu

Garden looks fantastic Jason  you made some great choices in palms.  I really like the companion plants as well it really ties it all together to make a beautiful environment. Cheers 

Hilo Jason
7 hours ago, LJG said:

Jason, are the Albo cross and the Presto cross the same two I got from your old garden? Meaning same seed batch? Hope so :) 

I don't think so.  the Albo cross you got from me was a couple of years old by the time you got it from me.  But it did originally come from Floribunda, just like what I have here.  I actually have 2 of these Albo crosses here, and they are very very different from each other.  Both were small 4" plants that I would have never noticed on my first visit to Floribunda.  But Suchin pointed them out to me and I bought 2 of them (there were others in the batch at the time, not sure where those ended up).  The one I posted earlier in this thread has stayed solitary and showed the red fuzz even when much smaller.   The other Albo cross has been very fast, but is a suckering palm and does not have the red color.  This one did have 6 stems, but I cut them all back and only left 2.  For some reason this other one always burns the new leaflets so I am experimenting with different fertilizers and treatment.  If it doesn't look good, it's being replaced soon.  Here are a few pictures of that other one: 

IMG_3962.thumb.JPG.80f2ee5efc069ff7835ca9455649b475.JPG

IMG_3961.thumb.JPG.1aafe23189c4f0a2e94a0f0ea7aab4df.JPG

As for the Presto Cross, the one I had in California originally came from Floribunda and Jeff believed that it was probably Prestoniana crossed with Mahajanga and I would agree with him based on the traits of that plant.  

The one I posted a photo of on this thread was purchased as a small one gallon from Bill Austin.  It was from seed off of his tree.  He has seeding Madagascariensis type Dypsis in the same area so that's my guess on it.  In my opinion it looks exactly like what I had in California that you also have, just faster here because of the climate.  

Hope that helps. 

• Like 2

Hilo Jason
2 hours ago, akamu said:

Garden looks fantastic Jason  you made some great choices in palms.  I really like the companion plants as well it really ties it all together to make a beautiful environment. Cheers 

Thanks Adam.  I've been focusing on the companion plants a lot more in the past year and it's really filling in nicely and I love the added colors.  Hope you can see it in person sometime. 

LJG
1 hour ago, Hilo Jason said:

I don't think so.  the Albo cross you got from me was a couple of years old by the time you got it from me.  But it did originally come from Floribunda, just like what I have here.  I actually have 2 of these Albo crosses here, and they are very very different from each other.  Both were small 4" plants that I would have never noticed on my first visit to Floribunda.  But Suchin pointed them out to me and I bought 2 of them (there were others in the batch at the time, not sure where those ended up).  The one I posted earlier in this thread has stayed solitary and showed the red fuzz even when much smaller.   The other Albo cross has been very fast, but is a suckering palm and does not have the red color.  This one did have 6 stems, but I cut them all back and only left 2.  For some reason this other one always burns the new leaflets so I am experimenting with different fertilizers and treatment.  If it doesn't look good, it's being replaced soon.  Here are a few pictures of that other one: 

IMG_3962.thumb.JPG.80f2ee5efc069ff7835ca9455649b475.JPG

IMG_3961.thumb.JPG.1aafe23189c4f0a2e94a0f0ea7aab4df.JPG

As for the Presto Cross, the one I had in California originally came from Floribunda and Jeff believed that it was probably Prestoniana crossed with Mahajanga and I would agree with him based on the traits of that plant.  

The one I posted a photo of on this thread was purchased as a small one gallon from Bill Austin.  It was from seed off of his tree.  He has seeding Madagascariensis type Dypsis in the same area so that's my guess on it.  In my opinion it looks exactly like what I had in California that you also have, just faster here because of the climate.  

Hope that helps. 

Thanks. Yeah, my bad. The Albo from you was already trunking. I do have an Albo from JM getting fuzzy and hope it’s like yours! Great stuff. 

Frond-friend42

Super awesome. Mahalo. I think the removal palm was probably L. Chinensis. Kind of grow wild like weeds. Sometimes you gotta pull out the weeds to make a great garden. And you are doing that BIG time.

• Like 2

Hilo Jason
19 hours ago, LJG said:

Thanks. Yeah, my bad. The Albo from you was already trunking. I do have an Albo from JM getting fuzzy and hope it’s like yours! Great stuff. 

Good to hear you got one that is showing some fuzz. Next time I am out there I will try to remember to ask Sue where the Albofarinosa parent plant is for these and see what’s around it that is red and fuzzy. 

How is your Prestoniana cross doing?  Getting big I imagine. Was it solitary or did it sucker?

LJG
4 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Good to hear you got one that is showing some fuzz. Next time I am out there I will try to remember to ask Sue where the Albofarinosa parent plant is for these and see what’s around it that is red and fuzzy. 

How is your Prestoniana cross doing?  Getting big I imagine. Was it solitary or did it sucker?

It suckered. 

618B1F0B-E20D-486A-BE1E-27E0AC98F4A7.jpeg

• Like 2

DoomsDave

Fainted . . . .

Hilo Jason
2 hours ago, LJG said:

It suckered. 

618B1F0B-E20D-486A-BE1E-27E0AC98F4A7.jpeg

Looks good, thanks for the photo.