IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Creation of my Hawaiian Garden - Horizon View Hilo

Hilo Jason

Loved your garden in Fallbrook, but I think this one will be even better.  Impressed with how much you have accomplished already.  Good work dude!

• Upvote 1

Amazing being able to fetch palms from Floribunda.  Not that we don't have some great nurseries in Florida.  

The growth rates you'll get should be 'way ahead of Florida, with its pauses for dry and cold.  Not to mention our soil problems.  

The remake of the property looks very smart.  Obviously a huge mess to get rid of a lot of stuff (the disposed-of fan palm looked vaguely like a Livistona), but in your climate, no reason to put up with less than totally desirable stuff.  

It would be interesting to see someone try a garden of dry Cuban palms over on the Kona side.  Coccothrinax and such.  I don't know whether Hawaii has suitable climates for the giant Copernicia species (baileyana, fallaensis, and gigas).

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

13 hours ago, Firepalm said:

Loved your garden in Fallbrook, but I think this one will be even better.  Impressed with how much you have accomplished already.  Good work dude!

Thank you!  I appreciate that. It's been very enjoyable to work on this garden. 

10 hours ago, Dave-Vero said:

Amazing being able to fetch palms from Floribunda.  Not that we don't have some great nurseries in Florida.  

The growth rates you'll get should be 'way ahead of Florida, with its pauses for dry and cold.  Not to mention our soil problems.  

The remake of the property looks very smart.  Obviously a huge mess to get rid of a lot of stuff (the disposed-of fan palm looked vaguely like a Livistona), but in your climate, no reason to put up with less than totally desirable stuff.  

It would be interesting to see someone try a garden of dry Cuban palms over on the Kona side.  Coccothrinax and such.  I don't know whether Hawaii has suitable climates for the giant Copernicia species (baileyana, fallaensis, and gigas).

Very true about nurseries in Florida being great.  Jeff Searle has amazing plants as well as Redlands and so many others that I had the privilege to visit years back.  

I am very eager to start seeing more growth happening here, although I have already seen a bit. But with this being the first year I know everything needs to get roots down. And this was a wetter than average year which means less sun too. I believe we are at about 250" of rain in the 11 months we've been here! Compared to the annual average of about 140". So lots of grey days that I'm sure slows down growth. 

I agree that it would be interesting to see a garden of Cuban palms here. I would think they could do great on the Kona side. I wish I had more space here and I would try some but I'm already at about capacity with what I can do. At least as far as big palms go. I'll be filling in a lot of small shade species in a few years I'm sure. I'm excited to get to that point and learn more about all the smaller palms that I'm not as familiar with now. 

Cuba's climate is like south Florida, only more so.  They really dry out in winter, as does much of the rest of the Caribbean.  The coast of Queensland seems a reasonable climate analog.  

Searle's done wonders for south Florida gardens, especially at a time when we're tending to lose specialty growers.  BTW, I realize the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden doesn't emphasize palms, but the lack of  labeling was annoying.  Otherwise a fine showcase of the more or less worldwide wet tropical garden flora.  

On 8/30/2018, 8:47:51, Dave-Vero said:

you can grow fallaensis and bailey fairly easily on the wet side of the Big Island, so i’m guessing they would be spectacular on the Kona side. 

Jason: your garden is already drool worthy... great taste and a lot of elbow grease has paid off nicely already! Just amazing, you are living the dream properly.

Edited by knell

If fallaenis and baileyana grow well on the wet side, they're worth the wait for trunks.  Copernicia gigas lives in coastal areas where there has to be occasional saltwater flooding and salinity, so it might possibly be a bit odd.  Not quite a mangrove palm, but close.  Baileyana of course is spectacular as a youngster.  I'm lucky that a neighbor recently planted one.

Your almost one year old Hilo garden is amazing and makes even my biggest newly planted palms look like mere seedlings! 

It is inspirational to see what some of mine might grow into someday, thanks!

It looks like your Dypsis mananjarensis is in good sun (for Hilo) and doing well so that helps me too.

I do plan to get to the Big Island in the next year and would love a garden visit....

Cindy Adair

On 9/1/2018, 6:41:41, knell said:

you can grow fallaensis and bailey fairly easily on the wet side of the Big Island, so i’m guessing they would be spectacular on the Kona side. 

Jason: your garden is already drool worthy... great taste and a lot of elbow grease has paid off nicely already! Just amazing, you are living the dream properly.

Thanks Mike!  You'll have to stop by sometime to check it out in person. 

On 9/2/2018, 7:25:57, Cindy Adair said:

Your almost one year old Hilo garden is amazing and makes even my biggest newly planted palms look like mere seedlings! 

It is inspirational to see what some of mine might grow into someday, thanks!

It looks like your Dypsis mananjarensis is in good sun (for Hilo) and doing well so that helps me too.

I do plan to get to the Big Island in the next year and would love a garden visit....

Wow, thanks Cindy.  It's been a lot of fun and I'm very fortunate to have Bill Austin and Jeff Marcus close by, both supplying big, perfectly grown plants for me to start out with.  I can't take much credit since they've done all the work up to this point!  

As for the Dypsis Mananjarensis, they seem to do great in the "Full sun" here, which isn't really ever full sun since Hilo is usually cloudy for at least part of the day.  

You are more than welcome to visit whenever you make it to the Big Island.  It would be great to have you here.  

1 hour ago, Hilo Jason said:

Wow, thanks Cindy.  It's been a lot of fun and I'm very fortunate to have Bill Austin and Jeff Marcus close by, both supplying big, perfectly grown plants for me to start out with.  I can't take much credit since they've done all the work up to this point!  

As for the Dypsis Mananjarensis, they seem to do great in the "Full sun" here, which isn't really ever full sun since Hilo is usually cloudy for at least part of the day.  

You are more than welcome to visit whenever you make it to the Big Island.  It would be great to have you here.  

Thanks for the information and offer to let me visit!

Cindy Adair

Hi,

I am repeating myself but it is just great to see how your garden is coming into shape! 

And all those breathtaking plants!

It seems, as you mentioned, that the most of your palms took the planting very well - 

an update in two, three years will probably be jaw dropping... ;) 

Please keep us posted,

best regards from Okinawa

Lars

On 9/3/2018, 8:54:39, palmfriend said:

Hi,

I am repeating myself but it is just great to see how your garden is coming into shape! 

And all those breathtaking plants!

It seems, as you mentioned, that the most of your palms took the planting very well - 

an update in two, three years will probably be jaw dropping... ;) 

Please keep us posted,

best regards from Okinawa

Lars

Thank you Lars!  

Unfortunately I had a spear pull and a lot of rot on this soon to be giant Dypsis Sp.  I gave it a good push and the enter base snapped right off, so it wasn't going to have a chance of recovery if I would have just left it alone.  Here's the declining palm:

IMG_1140.thumb.JPG.eb7e1d44fe0f019f566b0

The good news is that I had bought a palm as Dypsis Tsaravoasira and planted it out in my back yard.  It has grown quickly and I believe it to be the same palm as this palm that just died.  It was going to be way too big for where it was planted in the back so I moved it to this area in the front yard. 

Here's what I bought as dypsis tsaravoasira that I believe to be the same, this is in the backyard pre-digging:

IMG_1138.thumb.JPG.27caae18df136f53e4a4f

Dug up.  Due to there being a lot of rock in this area and hearing some snapping roots, I was a bit worried about moving it. 

IMG_1141.thumb.JPG.14d97f2aebbcfde9419fe

And here it is in the front yard, in its new spot:

IMG_1143.thumb.JPG.712481daca15b05d49bd3

I marked the spear to check for new growth.  In 3 days it pushed 3", so according to the BS Man 3" rule, I'm thinking I'm in the clear! 

IMG_1153.thumb.JPG.c8cace1ba387da8570351

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

Since I now had an open spot in the backyard where I dug this out, I decided to plant this 1 gallon pelagodoxa henryana. 

IMG_1144.thumb.JPG.6048c29aee8f935976f3f

IMG_1145.thumb.JPG.bf008c99f22f5c9897e64

The garden is always changing and I really enjoy that part of it.  I figure it's better to move these when they are still small and manageable.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Looks like great changes.. and you KNOW that rule works...! ;) 

• Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

5 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

Great choice. I have been looking for one since I got to the big island. They are so hard to find 

i might know a guy ;)

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

A few more new additions to the garden.

Up first is a palm that was grown by Jeff and Suchin at Floribunda.  This palm came from seed off their own Dypsis Robusta.  Definitely a hyrbid of some sort as it's clearly not pure Robusta.  It's a pretty compact palm, but some of that could be due to the fact that it was in it's pot for awhile, and busting out of it's pot as you can see from this picture below.  Fronds are still tied up as I had just unloaded it at this point.  

IMG_1241.thumb.JPG.885bfba56a36904a462b2

Planted:

IMG_1256.thumb.JPG.20d63ea5b093a0e88f49c

Another angle:

IMG_1257.thumb.JPG.b232d3d7f6181b24e9943

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Up next was a Ptychosperma Sp. Woto Boto.  I can't find much online about this palm, so I'm looking forward to seeing what it turns into.  It has been a very fast grower in it's pot and had quickly outgrown the 2 gallon pot I put it in.  It's stayed solitary so far and has some nice white coloring on it.  anyone out there growing this palm? 

IMG_1247.thumb.JPG.f8bf6c0864a0c0897192f

In it's new home in the back corner of our yard.  Growing in shade that it will grow up and out of soon. 

IMG_1248.thumb.JPG.674f416004d45c2d6c491

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Now on to a few shade plantings.  I had picked up a few shade loving palms but wasn't sure where to put them yet.  We have a covered carport area that is shaded, so I figured that was a good place for these.  

Pinanga Sp Thai Mottled

IMG_1252.thumb.JPG.b1200fcf8369d327b63bf

Areca Oxycarpa

IMG_1253.thumb.JPG.dad48de9d6bd0512dc5fb

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I also decided to move a palm in our front yard, before it got any bigger as I didn't want to risk losing it.  This is Masoala Madagascariensis and it's such a slow grower (even here) that I wanted to free up the place that it was planted for something that would get bigger and quicker (Probably Orania Trispatha).  

So here is the Masoala Madagascariensis in it's new home.  Seems like the move went well as I didn't hear any roots breaking.  

IMG_1254.thumb.JPG.53e0e8ea7ad78a64e0195

In the background are three of many Pinanga Coronata that I planted along the edge of our front yard to give us a privacy hedge from the main road.  These are now growing very quickly.  They were planted as 1 gallon plants less than a year ago (refer back to the beginning of this thread for pics) and they are now starting to get some trunk rings and even show signs of wanting to flower.  

• Upvote 4

That's about it for now.  I have several plants on deck to be planted soon, but I'm waiting for them to get a bit larger first.  Family is also visiting for a few weeks which means I won't have as much time in the garden.  

Thanks for looking. 

• 1 month later...

Not a lot of planting happening these days, so thought I would post some growth comparison pictures as some palms are really starting to show some nice growth.  

If you go back to the early part of this thread, you'll see this row of Pinanga Coronata were some of the first palms planted with hopes of providing a privacy screen from the road.  It's working!  

Pinanga Coronata - 1 year in the ground.  Before:

IMG_0339.thumb.JPG.cecddd184dbd2e8cf99df

One Year later:

IMG_1352.thumb.JPG.1a2914ed9b4b9e41939eb

Rocky for Scale (and good looks):

IMG_1358.thumb.JPG.c89e7c8062283236ab16f

IMG_1359.thumb.JPG.fda7536992be1f31d4838

IMG_1353.thumb.JPG.bf5b80fbc5c04c29cfbef

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Driveway planter, loaded with palms and ti plants.  Tallest 2 palms in the middle, back row, are Areca Macrocalyx.  Palms on far left are Bentickia Condapanna.

December 2017

IMG_0319.thumb.JPG.542d2a0aefce1a87706f3

November 2018, 11 months later:

IMG_1360.thumb.JPG.7316242e12eeccde874b2

Close up on one of the Bentickia Condapannas:

IMG_1361.thumb.JPG.1402325ac353dd2c08a8a

And another one:

IMG_1362.thumb.JPG.f8178e9aef52fb8dca0a1

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

This is Hydriastele sp. 'East Sepik'.  A bit harder to tell the growth difference as it's hard to get back in this corner now to take a picture and I have to stand up on top of a rock wall.

8 months in the ground.

IMG_0528.thumb.JPG.10d0bfc97a230249e3b8b

IMG_1366.thumb.JPG.33e5568d89a416c8ac3ae

And notice the Areca Vestiaria on the other side of my fence which I gifted to my neighbor :-)

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

It's a rainy day here in Hilo so I figured it was a good time to post some long overdue updates.  We've actually had a very dry start to 2019 with only about 4" of rain total for the year so far.  Lots of hand watering over the past few weeks, so today's rain is very welcomed! 

With the majority of my yard planted out, I've been looking for ways to enlarge existing planters and create some new ones.  Eliminating grass and creating more space for palms and companion plants.  

Here's a small project, before:

IMG_1397.thumb.JPG.21c96d2ab48a12a950044a5651e6e630.JPG

After, enlarged a bit: 

IMG_1406.thumb.JPG.b5f5a0150f70383d17e9e6cb08e9bc12.JPG

The small new palm in the middle is Dypsis Sp Metallic Ovobontsira.  On the far right is Areca Catechu (semi dwarf).  The open space in between will be used for more pineapples. 

Even at a young age, "Metallic Ovobontsira" shows the metallic tinge on the leaflets.  And already showing color on base of the palm.  Gotta love Dypsis! 

IMG_1414.thumb.JPG.678f7bc310dbf200f0c09963ffe69368.JPG

• Like 2

Up next was a much larger part of the front yard area that was grass, that I wanted to cover with mulch and create planter space.  There were already palms in this area, but the intent was always to somehow connect them so they looked planned out and not just random palms planted in a lawn.  

My 1988 Ford Ranger has been with me for all of my gardening adventures and has hauled an incredible amount of mulch, dirt and plants over the years.  It's still working hard here in Hilo! 

IMG_1399.thumb.JPG.e651670b987ae4aea8b67bdcca75442f.JPG

Spreading mulch....

IMG_1412.thumb.JPG.095f313265b92ecc6a66443c0bb66209.JPG

Opposite angle...

IMG_1413.thumb.JPG.9961db08648c7f5dd8b47b0f141ea0a7.JPG

Filled in, and rocks collected from other parts of the yard (and dug up) and used to create a small border...

IMG_1434.thumb.JPG.a4ee80326dc8bb84117e2e16f4f5cd00.JPG

Opposite angle...

IMG_1436.thumb.JPG.7c068996bfff4287158584c320386276.JPG

Look at all that new planting space!  And less grass to have to mow! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Thanks to some incredible neighbors, I was able to get a good amount of Ti clippings to fill in a lot of the space in this planter. 

IMG_0204.thumb.JPG.7f8a3a506e1f4773cf5fb32839a8f2dd.JPG

And squeezed in some new palm plantings as well.  

The below palm is Dypsis Lafa or sometimes has been called Dwarf Saintelucei.  This was moved from another part of the yard into this spot. 

IMG_0258.thumb.JPG.b147ca0775778cbc3d6b1255c30351b0.JPG

Ravenea Julietiae 

IMG_0259.thumb.JPG.22eb18fe5ad279222b547519c0e076fc.JPG

Dypsis Sp. Lafazamanga.  I have one in my backyard that has grown really fast and is a beautiful palm, so I figured I should have one in the front yard too.  

IMG_0260.thumb.JPG.e3e25b7c29c8c16eec22086a6f12c09d.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Taking a break from hauling mulch and creating new planters, I took some time in the back yard to work with existing planters and fill in some spots that needed more palms! 

First up (below) is Dypsis Sp. Ambanja.  This was originally planted too close to an Avocado tree.  As this palm grows, its looking like it will be a larger Dypsis so I wanted to give it some more space.  I'm hoping it survives the move.  

IMG_0277_(2).thumb.JPG.19e777885a16ecec7f446f1d8dac3ac1.JPG

Picked up this Dypsis Prestoniana from Jerry Andersen in a 5 gallon pot.  I had a smaller one in the ground, but wanted another.  

IMG_0278_(2).thumb.JPG.bce8cd72c1dfffafef22b0e15d29256a.JPG

And in place of where the Dypsis Sp Ambanja was planted, I put in this Basselinia Eriostachys (Fine Leaf)

IMG_0285.thumb.JPG.caa599c10c6ed41ff9af3096e7cee3d4.JPG

And this is Pinanga Bicolana: 

IMG_0294_(2).thumb.JPG.2c71f2c13728dca4a50d7bac52d090da.JPG

• Like 2

The Hawaii Island Palm Society just had it's annual auction where I picked up this 2 gallon Dypsis Prestoniana.  I figured I didn't have one in the front yard yet, so might as well plant one! 

IMG_0312.thumb.JPG.6fc15e3abb4b8964541a2a8b3cdc751e.JPG

Planted in it's new home.  This is the spot that the Dypsis Lafa / Dwarf Saintelucei was in before. 

IMG_0313.thumb.JPG.fa0852df0f7a053efba4b623b74eb9b6.JPG

And on the left of the Prestoniana is what I believe to be a Prestoniana x Madagascariensis hybrid.  So I wanted to be able to watch and compare these as they grow.

IMG_0314.thumb.JPG.67b182e3dd78e7964759d3b7dd0e9b71.JPG

• Like 1

I needed to swap out a struggling palm (small Dypsis Nauseosa) with a palm I am very excited to be able to have in my garden.  

Here's the unhappy Dypsis Nauseosa. 

IMG_0093.thumb.JPG.8b3593ad24657388e8e19fec689cb8c7.JPG

It had a spear rot issue when young and has taken awhile to recover.  I was able to get a large 15 gallon Nauseosa that is planted nearby this one, so I figured I would use this prime spot in the front for something else.  

This spot will now go to Attalea Funifera

IMG_0092.thumb.JPG.356503d9343b16af65cf1c0c0c02210b.JPG

In the ground:

IMG_0096.thumb.JPG.ab49b4f24fdb085c3e5d05a0e168642f.JPG

I then brought in some more mulch to connect this area and make it a planter. 

IMG_0202.JPG

And planted two of these Hydriastele Splendida to fill in some space eventually.

IMG_0292.JPG

• Like 1

There's another large planter in the works now.  I'll post pictures once I'm able to take some and complete it a bit more.  I'm taking a break from hauling mulch for a few days!  For now, I'll leave you with this photo below.  Shortly after I finished these planters, we had some amazing rainbows on display.  

IMG_0231.thumb.JPG.f3650d170788c52963c18e90c6713927.JPG

As always, thanks for looking. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1