IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Creation of my Hawaiian Garden - Horizon View Hilo

Hilo Jason

Impressive! Can you talk a bit about how you decide where to put what? Do you draw out a grand master plan or do you just start in a corner and figure it out as it all unfolds?

Ahhhh....the joy of digging holes! You've made a lot of progress since my last visit and having tons of fun too.

Looking great Jason!

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Where else can you move to and expect to have a killer mature garden of rare palms in 5 years???

Great job - don't burn out on us. :)

• Upvote 2

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

6 hours ago, Swolte said:

Impressive! Can you talk a bit about how you decide where to put what? Do you draw out a grand master plan or do you just start in a corner and figure it out as it all unfolds?

Thank you.  As far as planning out where to plant, I do some drawing out of certain areas of the yard.  I started with a lot of drawing and also a list of "must have palms".  So as I would buy those palms, I would assign them a place in the drawing based on eventual size, sun / shade, etc.....  With some of the smaller areas, I will just place plants out in their pots and move them around until I like what I see.  And then sometimes, as I'm working in the yard, weeding, cleaning up etc.... I might just see an open space and think "hey a Dypsis Ambositrae would look great there", so if I have it, I plant it, and if not I add it to my next shopping list and plant it once I get it.  

None of this is perfect, as I have already moved a few palms!  But I enjoy the flexibility of moving plants around to fit better in a certain area and I figure I better do it sooner than later with how quickly plants can grow here.  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, realarch said:

Ahhhh....the joy of digging holes! You've made a lot of progress since my last visit and having tons of fun too.

Looking great Jason!

Tim

Thanks Tim.  Still a little more to show on this thread as well, but the majority is now documented.  You'll have to stop by again soon.  All of the Ti's I got from you are now looking good and are pushing a lot of growth and all that color is really filling the place in nicely! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dypsisdean said:

Where else can you move to and expect to have a killer mature garden of rare palms in 5 years???

Great job - don't burn out on us. :)

I hear you, it's unbelievable to me!  Being able to start with large plants, and then put them in the ground and see growth happen so quickly is amazing.  No frost, no gophers and no drip irrigation... am I dreaming?! 

No plans of burning out!  I think that's impossible with the inspiration of so many gardens to see here on the Big Island.  I was at Bill Austin's place yesterday and then came home and started digging holes in the rain.  I always get inspired at other gardens so that will never stop around here! 

• Upvote 1

Very nice Jason.  I will look you up next time I am on the big Island.  Stop by anytime your passing by and want to see the sluggish growth of coastal So-Cal.  Looks like the only thing I got on you is ease of digging!

• Upvote 1

MM

15 hours ago, Mark M @ S. Oceanside palms said:

Very nice Jason.  I will look you up next time I am on the big Island.  Stop by anytime your passing by and want to see the sluggish growth of coastal So-Cal.  Looks like the only thing I got on you is ease of digging!

Thanks Mark, and it would be great to have you come by on your next trip over here. 

I definitely wouldn't say you have sluggish growth, your place always looks good and plants seem very happy there. I do miss stopping by from time to time and buying palms from you. 

• 5 weeks later...

I'm rained in today so I thought it was a good time for a few more updates.  The planting continues up to today (before I got soaked) and I'm busy making new planters and planting more and more palms and flowering plants.  I hope to get up to date soon with this thread.  

Here are a few photos of the lower back yard, that show wider views of many of the palms already shown in this thread.  Not sure if I've mentioned it already, but when clearing out this back corner and discovering our coconut palm, I also uncovered dozens of old coconuts so I am using them as a temporary border between the grass and the planter.  I am slowly replacing them with rock as I dig more holes and dig up more rocks.

IMG_0569.thumb.JPG.46e4c6e4b7cec6cb12c3a

IMG_0570.thumb.JPG.0b2e01484a629c6d124d6

IMG_0571.thumb.JPG.b4e9c231d4308f1e234c0

A green anole hanging out on the trunk of Cyphophoenix Nucele:

IMG_0574.thumb.JPG.2ea722e6c317fd8c77007

• Upvote 2

Took another palm shopping trip to pick up these big Dypsis!

Dypsis Ambositrae on the left, Dypsis Nauseosa on the right, both in 15 gallon pots:

IMG_0819.thumb.JPG.db04feded88761c090bdf

Dypsis Ambositrae:

IMG_0820.thumb.JPG.69c0678266ad99c9b91c4

Dypsis Nauseosa:

IMG_0821.thumb.JPG.5d6a3fe8b6f472860c265

• Upvote 6

Dypsis Nauseosa loaded up in the wheel barrow, Rocky enjoying the sunshine on the front driveway.

IMG_0867.thumb.JPG.e1e6c56db90403f4a9920

In the ground:

IMG_0869.thumb.JPG.a19737e89c4e9c4a275c7

IMG_0874.thumb.JPG.2d4bd0ddeddc6ab90755f

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Some of you may have heard that Kapoho Kai Palm Nursery was destroyed by lava a little while back from this current (maybe over by now) Kilauea eruption.  Thankfully the owner was able to get a lot of her plants out of there before the lava covered everything.  This was because the water line was taken out first, so she started bringing truck loads of plants out to a friends nursery and storing them there.  Soon after she had a big sale there, so while I was unfortunately never able to make it to her nursery, at least I have a very very small piece of it here planted in Hilo.  

This Dypsis Pembana was from Kapoho Kai and I look forward to watching it grow in my yard:

IMG_0887.thumb.JPG.b998dadfc709416d91dfe

Planted in it's new home:

IMG_0888.thumb.JPG.c704ee83011eae33a42c7

And speaking of the lava and eruption, here was the view each night from our deck of Fissure 8, 25 miles or so away in the middle of Leilani Estates.  While it was exciting to see every night at such a safe distance, I am very happy that it has calmed down and I hope it remains that way. 

IMG_0905.thumb.JPG.382eaf6854e95b03b4d54

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

While I was in that back area, planting the Dypsis Pembana mentioned above, I noticed that the Dypsis Malcomberi hyrbid is beginning to show quite a bit more white coloring on it as it grows. 

IMG_0900.thumb.JPG.bf1902a49fd027547b1ed

IMG_0901.thumb.JPG.862a563ebee2b14328f81

And check out the color on this Pinanga Philipinensis:

IMG_0903.thumb.JPG.7e2d94c36c546564628c0

• Upvote 5

Some new colorful leaves opening around the garden:

Dypsis Mananjarensis:

IMG_0929.thumb.JPG.468cc4a5b21fe05499be6

Wider view of Dypsis Mananjarensis

IMG_0930.thumb.JPG.33f1ff96eba18ddd66edb

Areca Vestiaria Red Form:

IMG_0932.thumb.JPG.ae380776414efaec473f6

Loxococcus Rupicola:

IMG_0855.thumb.JPG.9ac26f724f3f7938584a5

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

The front driveway planter is starting to fill in.  Ti plants are acclimated and growing fast and palms are happy.

IMG_0933.thumb.JPG.1645b0cf6e1f1bba577f1

A bit wider view:

IMG_0935.thumb.JPG.b2145f3ea2d2887f7147a

• Upvote 1

In one of the planter areas in the backyard, I wasn't happy with where a multi trunking Dypsis Onilahensis was planted, so I dug it up and put this Areca Catechu Dwarf in it's place.  There was already a dwarf Catechu across the drainage ditch from this spot, so I think the second one balanced this area much better than a multi trunking Dypsis was going to do.  Always making changes! 

IMG_0937.thumb.JPG.ab789c6cf06aa3f5b4824

IMG_0939.thumb.JPG.d5dbb8b07f86074b74df9

IMG_0941.thumb.JPG.c57897ff4d47d394e9873

• Upvote 3

A couple more colored leaves opening up:

Kentiopsis Pyriformis:

IMG_0943.thumb.JPG.78ac8a59a29af65007214

Heterospathe Barfodii:

IMG_0945.thumb.JPG.00ae2115a76004e47e4ef

And an updated picture of this Dypsis Robusta which is happy and growing fast:

IMG_0947.thumb.JPG.3a4a5be02d0c7fb412c52

• Upvote 3

That's it for now.  This thread is getting very close to being caught up so once that happens I look forward to being able to just keep it updated with new plantings and growth / changes.  Thanks for checking it out.  

• Upvote 1

Wow Jason! It's great to catch upon your progress! (I've been so busy like Bob Dejong fixing AC units here during our 4 week long heat wave, I'm so far behind!) Anyway, STILL jealous of all the cool stuff you can shop for!! lol, but that "bef" hybrid caught my eye. It does loof different to me as most "bef" have almost no petiole. It almost looks like a bef/nauseosa hybrid to me! looks cool! 

PS- thought of you the other day when I looked out and saw that magnifica I got from you opening another new red leaf...and that decari/mahajanga? hybrid is hardening off and looking better! Thanks again! 

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

13 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

the Dypsis Malcomberi hyrbid is beginning to show quite a bit more white coloring on it as it grows. 

IMG_0900.thumb.JPG.bf1902a49fd027547b1ed

IMG_0901.thumb.JPG.862a563ebee2b14328f81

Very cool to see this as I have one that I picked up from Josh about a year ago and planted.  It was originally from Floribunda, so I can't help but wonder if that is the heritage on yours.  The other parentage on mine was unknown, so I'm kind of hopeful that yours is some indication of what I can expect in the future. 
Everything looks great Jason, and progressing so fast compared to here!  That photo of your perspective on the eruption was very stunning, while also a little intimidating considering that you can see this from 25 miles away!

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Looking good Jason!. That D. malcomberi is a killer palm and is only going to get better. 

I need to come over and see your new deck and new plantings. Soon yeah? That 5 minute drive gives me pause though. 

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

On 8/9/2018, 8:05:12, BS Man about Palms said:

Wow Jason! It's great to catch upon your progress! (I've been so busy like Bob Dejong fixing AC units here during our 4 week long heat wave, I'm so far behind!) Anyway, STILL jealous of all the cool stuff you can shop for!! lol, but that "bef" hybrid caught my eye. It does loof different to me as most "bef" have almost no petiole. It almost looks like a bef/nauseosa hybrid to me! looks cool! 

PS- thought of you the other day when I looked out and saw that magnifica I got from you opening another new red leaf...and that decari/mahajanga? hybrid is hardening off and looking better! Thanks again! 

Hey Bill! 

Nice to hear that Magnifica is doing good. I finally tracked one down here but it's a very very small 4" plant that will take many years to look like much, even here! 

I just noticed that my "bef mystery" is splitting. So definitely a trait of Bef. Seems like it's getting a bit more reddish coloring on it too.  I have another Bef that does not have any coloring like this. Updated pictures below. 

IMG_1054.thumb.JPG.1e9e53014975f19c412dc

IMG_1055.thumb.JPG.09baaa23eab61dc7d6e25

• Upvote 4

On 8/10/2018, 6:54:32, Tracy said:

Very cool to see this as I have one that I picked up from Josh about a year ago and planted.  It was originally from Floribunda, so I can't help but wonder if that is the heritage on yours.  The other parentage on mine was unknown, so I'm kind of hopeful that yours is some indication of what I can expect in the future. 
Everything looks great Jason, and progressing so fast compared to here!  That photo of your perspective on the eruption was very stunning, while also a little intimidating considering that you can see this from 25 miles away!

Hey Tracy,

yeah this Malcomberi was originally from Floribunda. I got it from Bill Austin but he got it from Jeff and Suchin. At first it kind of looked like a Pembana type Dypsis to me but now it's really turning into something a bit different and the white is very bright. 

And yeah, the glow and power of Fissure 8 really was amazing. Even from this distance. Happy it's calmed down now and people can hopefully get back to more of a normal life in Puna real soon. 

On 8/10/2018, 8:46:46, realarch said:

Looking good Jason!. That D. malcomberi is a killer palm and is only going to get better. 

I need to come over and see your new deck and new plantings. Soon yeah? That 5 minute drive gives me pause though. 

Tim

Thanks Tim. Come by anytime you are up for the long drive! :-)

8 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Thanks Tim. Come by anytime you are up for the long drive! :-)

If it's too far a journey, maybe one of the ride sharing services would help:yay:!   If I ever make it to the Big Island, expect a phone call, text or email that I will want to visit.  Make that both places, yours and Tim's.  My wife is just reluctant to go to any destination that has a whiff of the smell of surf nearby after raising two boys who would only do surf vacations.

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Ha, Tracy, ride sharing! I've heard that there are only TWO ride share drivers in Hilo and almost impossible to get.

I'll have to crank up the Rambler Metropolitan and buzz up the road for a visit. 

Oh, BTW, you are welcome here anytime and I'm sure it would be the same at Jason's.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Driving around town a bit, and peering at the botanical garden (admittedly on a sheltered site), it looks like you can really have fun with some of Floribunda’s cold-intolerant, water-loving specials.  It was sort of a pity to spot a bunch of foxtails.  

I don’t know whether Cuban palms other than the ever-reliable Royals would work for you.  That island has a dry season.   

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

BTW don’t bother with Dypsis decaryi.  They’re perfect for sea-level Kona and dry spots in Florida.  

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

• 2 weeks later...

It's almost been 1 year of living here in Hilo and I still can't believe that I have Floribunda palms about 20 minutes away from my house.  As well as Bill Austin's nursery and garden.  It feels too good to be true!  I had another recent shopping trip at Floribunda, so here are some more updates. 

I picked up this 1 gallon Veitchia Simulans after seeing a mature plant that Jeff has.  Really great snake-skin like markings on the crownshaft of these when they get larger.   

IMG_1018.thumb.JPG.5b8f1bcb7308b20629ee1

Veitchia Simulans planted next to a large gardenia bush that will give it some protection as it acclimates to it's new spot: 

IMG_1019.thumb.JPG.6287a8624354c04bac20a

• Upvote 4

This next planting is one that took me some time to figure out where it should happen.  When we first moved here, I was able to get a nice 1 gallon Cyphokentia Macrostachya.  I knew I wanted this to have a priority spot in the garden.  

IMG_1023.thumb.JPG.306635317d28695bc88b5

I decided I would dig up my Actinokentia and move it back, deeper into this planter (middle in the below pic), so that way this Cyphokentia could have this nice corner spot of the planter, right across from it's fellow New Cal palm - Kentiopsis Pyriformis. 

IMG_1020.thumb.JPG.902af64a32f2d16671106

Actinokentia Divaricata in it's new location:

IMG_1021.thumb.JPG.9db7aed8f8e392e4447cf

From left to right: Kentiopsis Pyriformis, Actinokentia Divaricata, Cyphokentia Macrostachya

IMG_1024.thumb.JPG.81dd0e3cb68e6bd6ad760

The rocks in the middle of this planter are part of a drainage area in this part of the yard.  This is the lowest spot in our backyard and rain from the entire street behind us drains into this area as well.  After receiving 48" of rain from Hurricane Lane, this area was underwater quite a bit, but it was always draining out rather quickly and the water never sat for long once the rains stopped.  I'm hoping none of these palms react in a negative way, but I think they should be ok.  

• Upvote 5

Keeping with the New Cal theme:

Basselinia Humboldtiana, squat 5 gallon pot:

IMG_1044.thumb.JPG.4f4302a7e2ffa2310d746

in the ground:

IMG_1045.thumb.JPG.95d1d7c556fa02e57232f

Keeping company with Kentiopsis Oliviformis:

IMG_1046.thumb.JPG.46d939e27f4ce8421376d

Basselinia Eriostachys (drip tip leaf)

IMG_1043.thumb.JPG.73245102fa8a97194d7c7

In the ground:

IMG_1047.thumb.JPG.3d86c9b07f168764dee73

• Upvote 5

The main reason for the latest trip to Floribunda was to buy material for a new planter area I just created.  We have a section in the middle of the backyard that has 14 very large Archontophoenix Alexandrae.  I would say they are 40-50' tall.  I wanted to create an island style planter around these Alexanders.  

Preparing this planter area required removal of many fern like plants that seem to take over here, as well as Green Ti plants that had taken over the area.

IMG_0991.thumb.JPG.1fb42c6b185d0dd205a96

I removed over 700 pounds of plant material from this area to clean it up.  (We weigh all of our greenwaste when we haul it to the transfer station here)

IMG_0987.thumb.JPG.7f2c354adf1d078df4313

After! 

IMG_1003.thumb.JPG.1be9a242c4b16c4838814

IMG_1006.thumb.JPG.865da55e0a8ef9ec6b129

From the other side, although I ended up enlarging this side to make room for more new plantings.

IMG_1007.thumb.JPG.3dd233c17ac218a2d3635

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Now that this area is cleared and mulch is down, time for planting!

Cyphophoenix Alba

IMG_1031.thumb.JPG.9f3e13355d4763365d2c1

Pinanga Speciosa:

IMG_1041.thumb.JPG.e2a77fd5d76125fe237ec

Dypsis Prestoniana:

IMG_1042.thumb.JPG.63a792cf7cf67d048e6ef

• Upvote 5

On the opposite side of the planter now

Slinostigma Savoryanum on the left, Cyphophoenix Elegans on the right:

IMG_1049.thumb.JPG.9885974e35fbaad95451d

Cyrtostachys Renda on the left of the Clinostigma:

IMG_1050.thumb.JPG.d582c125a5e592851500f

Looking at the opposite angle:

IMG_1053.thumb.JPG.501201ed5fa41f89e6328

• Upvote 2

And right across from my island planter I had this small area that I thought was perfect for a fan palm, so I went with the native Pritchardia Beccariana

IMG_1051.thumb.JPG.b635ff1e1142a9eedabd9

IMG_1052.thumb.JPG.91f666038ddaf9627f4f8

• Upvote 4

As of now (August 28, 2018) this thread is now up to date!  Everything planted is now documented.  I will continue to update this thread as I plant new palms, move palms, and update areas of the yard.  I will also post updates of growth.  Sept 17 marks our 1 year anniversary of living here in Hilo at starting this garden project.  I am surprised with how much has been accomplished and I am already seeing some nice growth happening on some of the earliest planted palms. 

I look forward to keeping this thread update and I appreciate all the comments and people checking it out!  

Thanks for looking! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5