IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Creation of my Hawaiian Garden - Horizon View Hilo

Hilo Jason

Jason,

your thread is eye-candy at its best! What wonderful and beautiful looking plants and palms you have!

It is so nice of you sharing them with us here on palmtalk - greatest thanks!

Please keep us posted!

best regards 

Lars

Man, have you been busy. A beautiful garden in record breaking time.

Even the rock work is nice - for a Haole. :)

• Like 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

On 8/8/2020 at 5:37 AM, Palm Tree Jim said:

Well done Jason.

And more importantly, to see your garden in person soon.

Thanks Jim, hope to see you over here in the near future.  

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, necturus said:

Love Hilo. Beautiful garden.

What's a "Dypsis Decipiens Hybrid"? 

Thank you! 

The Dypsis Decipiens Hybrid was grown from seed off of a Dypsis Decipiens here on the Big Island, from a private garden.  Once seed was germinated and growing, the owner could tell that some of the seed must have hybridized with another Dypsis in his garden as it did not look like Decipiens at the seedling stage.  I did ask the owner and it sounds like there is a very large and flowering Dypsis Onilahensis in the vicinity, so I think its very possible that this could be Dypsis Decipiens x Onilahensis.  Sure looks like that could be the cross to me, but hybrids can be somewhat of a mystery, especially when they come out of gardens that have multiple flowering palms all happening at the same time.   

• Like 1

19 hours ago, palmfriend said:

Jason,

your thread is eye-candy at its best! What wonderful and beautiful looking plants and palms you have!

It is so nice of you sharing them with us here on palmtalk - greatest thanks!

Please keep us posted!

best regards 

Lars

Thank you Lars, and thanks for following from the beginning! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

Man, have you been busy. A beautiful garden in record breaking time.

Even the rock work is nice - for a Haole. :)

Thank you Dean, hopefully you can see it in person sometime soon.  

my Haole back can only do so much of that rock work before it tells me I'm done!  Much respect for those guys who do that all day! 

Jason, are the Albo cross and the Presto cross the same two I got from your old garden? Meaning same seed batch? Hope so :) 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Garden looks fantastic Jason  you made some great choices in palms.  I really like the companion plants as well it really ties it all together to make a beautiful environment. Cheers 

7 hours ago, LJG said:

Jason, are the Albo cross and the Presto cross the same two I got from your old garden? Meaning same seed batch? Hope so :) 

I don't think so.  the Albo cross you got from me was a couple of years old by the time you got it from me.  But it did originally come from Floribunda, just like what I have here.  I actually have 2 of these Albo crosses here, and they are very very different from each other.  Both were small 4" plants that I would have never noticed on my first visit to Floribunda.  But Suchin pointed them out to me and I bought 2 of them (there were others in the batch at the time, not sure where those ended up).  The one I posted earlier in this thread has stayed solitary and showed the red fuzz even when much smaller.   The other Albo cross has been very fast, but is a suckering palm and does not have the red color.  This one did have 6 stems, but I cut them all back and only left 2.  For some reason this other one always burns the new leaflets so I am experimenting with different fertilizers and treatment.  If it doesn't look good, it's being replaced soon.  Here are a few pictures of that other one: 

IMG_3962.thumb.JPG.80f2ee5efc069ff7835ca9455649b475.JPG

IMG_3961.thumb.JPG.1aafe23189c4f0a2e94a0f0ea7aab4df.JPG

As for the Presto Cross, the one I had in California originally came from Floribunda and Jeff believed that it was probably Prestoniana crossed with Mahajanga and I would agree with him based on the traits of that plant.  

The one I posted a photo of on this thread was purchased as a small one gallon from Bill Austin.  It was from seed off of his tree.  He has seeding Madagascariensis type Dypsis in the same area so that's my guess on it.  In my opinion it looks exactly like what I had in California that you also have, just faster here because of the climate.  

Hope that helps. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, akamu said:

Garden looks fantastic Jason  you made some great choices in palms.  I really like the companion plants as well it really ties it all together to make a beautiful environment. Cheers 

Thanks Adam.  I've been focusing on the companion plants a lot more in the past year and it's really filling in nicely and I love the added colors.  Hope you can see it in person sometime. 

1 hour ago, Hilo Jason said:

I don't think so.  the Albo cross you got from me was a couple of years old by the time you got it from me.  But it did originally come from Floribunda, just like what I have here.  I actually have 2 of these Albo crosses here, and they are very very different from each other.  Both were small 4" plants that I would have never noticed on my first visit to Floribunda.  But Suchin pointed them out to me and I bought 2 of them (there were others in the batch at the time, not sure where those ended up).  The one I posted earlier in this thread has stayed solitary and showed the red fuzz even when much smaller.   The other Albo cross has been very fast, but is a suckering palm and does not have the red color.  This one did have 6 stems, but I cut them all back and only left 2.  For some reason this other one always burns the new leaflets so I am experimenting with different fertilizers and treatment.  If it doesn't look good, it's being replaced soon.  Here are a few pictures of that other one: 

IMG_3962.thumb.JPG.80f2ee5efc069ff7835ca9455649b475.JPG

IMG_3961.thumb.JPG.1aafe23189c4f0a2e94a0f0ea7aab4df.JPG

As for the Presto Cross, the one I had in California originally came from Floribunda and Jeff believed that it was probably Prestoniana crossed with Mahajanga and I would agree with him based on the traits of that plant.  

The one I posted a photo of on this thread was purchased as a small one gallon from Bill Austin.  It was from seed off of his tree.  He has seeding Madagascariensis type Dypsis in the same area so that's my guess on it.  In my opinion it looks exactly like what I had in California that you also have, just faster here because of the climate.  

Hope that helps. 

Thanks. Yeah, my bad. The Albo from you was already trunking. I do have an Albo from JM getting fuzzy and hope it’s like yours! Great stuff. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Super awesome. Mahalo. I think the removal palm was probably L. Chinensis. Kind of grow wild like weeds. Sometimes you gotta pull out the weeds to make a great garden. And you are doing that BIG time.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, LJG said:

Thanks. Yeah, my bad. The Albo from you was already trunking. I do have an Albo from JM getting fuzzy and hope it’s like yours! Great stuff. 

Good to hear you got one that is showing some fuzz. Next time I am out there I will try to remember to ask Sue where the Albofarinosa parent plant is for these and see what’s around it that is red and fuzzy. 

How is your Prestoniana cross doing?  Getting big I imagine. Was it solitary or did it sucker?

4 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Good to hear you got one that is showing some fuzz. Next time I am out there I will try to remember to ask Sue where the Albofarinosa parent plant is for these and see what’s around it that is red and fuzzy. 

How is your Prestoniana cross doing?  Getting big I imagine. Was it solitary or did it sucker?

It suckered. 

618B1F0B-E20D-486A-BE1E-27E0AC98F4A7.jpeg

• Like 2

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Fainted . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 1 year later...

Wow!  It's been quite awhile since I've posted updates to this thread.  Not much has been planted since the last post as all new palms are being planted or prepared for our new property (new thread coming soon on that project).  But the growth continues to amaze me here, so thought I would post some updated pictures.  These pictures are from the last 6 months or so.  

The jungle is filling in:

IMG_7960.thumb.JPG.20faefd6c50cc6ef6ca7691fbb5535e2.JPG

"Big Dypsis" are starting to get big and many are now trunking:

IMG_7957.thumb.JPG.4f371fdcce1fc9232a94d394119231ac.JPG

Dypsis Prestoniana Hybrid!  Even larger now as this is several months old, will try to get another updated picture.

IMG_5212.thumb.JPG.126ff13fe9e4f0211201b687b7ae6d97.JPG

Pinanga Coronata wall is succesfully blocking out the road traffic

IMG_5097.thumb.JPG.50586e9a64f86cf26b5b7ddaaf0fc14b.JPG

Rocky (the Pit Bull) hanging out with his buddy Oscar (the rabbit)

IMG_5107.thumb.JPG.56ecd7986ff85e00ba3668d6e766d072.JPG

• Like 13
  • Upvote 2

More Big Dypsis are starting to show rings of trunk, first one is the mealy bug - Dypsis Mananjarensis:

IMG_5781.thumb.JPG.2d29b1418390a6f5f9ba6b9e985030e0.JPG

Dypsis Ampasindavae:

IMG_5925.thumb.JPG.505fc65e11378a24886aa2d1d21b634f.JPG

Dypsis Hovomantsina:

IMG_9867.thumb.JPG.556200c0dc611afbb4850567433451f2.JPG

another Prestoniana Hybrid, this one is growing in shade so not quite as beefy:

IMG_5924.thumb.JPG.6e604964b4cbcee491c654224043b9ea.JPG

Dypsis Ovobontsira:

IMG_5795.thumb.JPG.d483113fea7d9fc83926c123205e5bb8.JPG

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

A few more random pictures.  Will try to take some more soon.  I have some pig damage to repair in the front yard.  First time in almost 5 years that pigs have been in my yard.  So once I clean up, it will give me an excuse to take more pictures.  

Heterospathe Barfodii is showing off:

IMG_5790.thumb.JPG.cb40c0db9278fb377e493b0ce2a71dca.JPG

One of a trio of Bentickia Condapanna in my driveway:

IMG_5793.thumb.JPG.2bae704d0222709617bbb8ad99ec84d9.JPG

IMG_5865.thumb.JPG.c2608c4ebdb38efecc534d21e28da676.JPG

Dypsis Basilonga:

IMG_5868.thumb.JPG.f7c420895136c29893a4784614d92741.JPG

Dypsis Ampasindavae:

IMG_5926.thumb.JPG.cf26ad17a9213f70f3b357565fb7e987.JPG

• Like 14
  • Upvote 2

Jason, I LOVE your garden. It’s been a joy watching it develop through this thread. I can not wait to see the development of your new property.

• Like 1

I need to find a way to move to Hawaii - those growth rates are unreal...

Jason - thank you so much for this update!

best regards

Lars

• Like 1

Holy cow Jason, quite the transformation. Those Dypsis hybrids grow like magic beans. Maybe we should exchange garden visits……soon! How’s your upcoming week look like. I could swing by for tour. 

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Great growing, Jason!

• Like 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

I thought I had seen your place not all that long ago, but maybe it has been over a year.  Incredible transformation.  Everything looks great, but I especially like the Heterospathe barfodii color combination.  You've set very high expectations for what the new property will look like when you get to work with deep soil.

That Pinanaga Coronata "wall" is awesome!  I may have to do that down here with Dypsis Pembana, since Coronata isn't cold hardy enough for a reliable "hedge" here.

1 hour ago, Merlyn said:

That Pinanaga Coronata "wall" is awesome!  I may have to do that down here with Dypsis Pembana, since Coronata isn't cold hardy enough for a reliable "hedge" here.

Agree on the P coronata.   I hunted wild pigs in the Leeward Koolau Mts on O`ahu for over 20 years in the 70's n 80's  never daw any P coronata in the wild.  Going back as a hiker in the early 2000's they were wild along the streams all over the place.  Wonder if birds carried seeds from Ho`omaluhia Botanical Gardens over the top of the mts and did the "dirty" deed on the Leeward side.?

• Like 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

Thanks so much for these update... I find it especially helpful in identifying the subtle differences in the various "Big Dypsis" types. 

Do you take requests? I'd love to get an update on these two (whenever you're doing photos next)...

Dypsis Decipiens Hybrid
I bought a DD hybrid that looks similar to yours, and am curious how yours is doing (mine is Dypsis decipiens x onilahensis).

- Dypsis Leucomalla
Wondering what yours looks like now... since that's probably as large as mine is ever going to get (assuming it survives).

* Dypsis is by far my favorite genus, which is why I love your yard so much :wub2:

• Like 3

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

On 4/23/2022 at 7:53 AM, realarch said:

Holy cow Jason, quite the transformation. Those Dypsis hybrids grow like magic beans. Maybe we should exchange garden visits……soon! How’s your upcoming week look like. I could swing by for tour. 

Tim

Let me know when you go I would love to tag along 

• Like 1

Very nice  Jason. As some of you know I moved to Ca from Hawaii. However I was only 14 when my parents and I left paradise but I didn’t want to. 

• Like 2

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

3 hours ago, deezpalms said:

Very nice  Jason. As some of you know I moved to Ca from Hawaii. However I was only 14 when my parents and I left paradise but I didn’t want to. 

That happened to me, too. I was older than you when I moved, but that just means I miss it even more... I'll be back there someday.

On 4/23/2022 at 7:53 AM, realarch said:

Tim

Thanks Tim.  Yes, it's been too long since we've seen each others gardens.  Lets make that happen!  I'll send you a text about what days work.  

And yes, these Dypsis hybrids grow ridiculously fast!  In a couple of years they will probably just be large telephone polls with heads (as Jeff M likes to say), but right now they are the perfect height to enjoy.  

On 4/23/2022 at 9:09 AM, Rick Kelley said:

I thought I had seen your place not all that long ago, but maybe it has been over a year.  Incredible transformation.  Everything looks great, but I especially like the Heterospathe barfodii color combination.  You've set very high expectations for what the new property will look like when you get to work with deep soil.

Thanks Rick.  And I agree about Heterospathe Barfodii.  They are great looking palms that don't seem to get enough attention (in my opinion).  I just planted out 4 of them at the new property, although when small they seem to have a very wobbly base (similar to Dypsis Saintelucei) so I have them propped up with rocks around the base.  We'll see how they do out there with the constant wind coming off the ocean.  

On 4/23/2022 at 6:41 PM, iDesign said:

Thanks so much for these update... I find it especially helpful in identifying the subtle differences in the various "Big Dypsis" types. 

Do you take requests? I'd love to get an update on these two (whenever you're doing photos next)...

Dypsis Decipiens Hybrid
I bought a DD hybrid that looks similar to yours, and am curious how yours is doing (mine is Dypsis decipiens x onilahensis).

- Dypsis Leucomalla
Wondering what yours looks like now... since that's probably as large as mine is ever going to get (assuming it survives).

* Dypsis is by far my favorite genus, which is why I love your yard so much :wub2:

I’m always happy to take requests and gives me a reason to get out in the garden more. 

Dypsis Decipiens Hybrid - I actually dug this palm up and moved it to my new garden.  I’ll try to get an updated photo of it.  It’s doing pretty good and growing well out there in full blazing all day sun.  This gives me one more reason to start a thread for that property.

Dypsis Leucomalla - you just had to call out the one palm that doesn’t grow! :-)  This palm never grew and actually shrunk. It then began getting shaded out and declining even more. About 9 months ago I dug it up and put it in a pot to see what it might do. So far it hasn’t done anything. Hasn’t grown and hasn’t died!  Just one leaf at this point.  I did get ahold of a nice 5 gallon and grew it up to a nice 15 gallon and planted it a few days ago at the coastal property. Again, one more reason for me to start that thread. That one has been a great grower. Seems like getting it to the 5 gallon size might be the key. Not sure if that could ever happen in California though. 

Here’s the Leucomalla that refuses to grow:

5DFBF51D-07A3-4975-86AC-E22170C5D59B.thumb.jpeg.76a9608dd014fcf61942023003e88422.jpeg

• Like 3

Hahah o man that cracked me up, one of the most beautiful gardens on Palmtalk yet there’s still that one struggling palm…

Thanks for all the pics, including your old updates from Fallbrook garden. Shows someone like me who’s just starting out what I have to look forward to someday.

Dustin

• Like 1

Jason, John,sounds like a PRA in the making. Gee I haven’t that term in a long time. 

Tim

• Like 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

9 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Here’s the Leucomalla that refuses to grow...

Wow, if a palm isn't thriving in HAWAII then not a lot of hope for it here in CA. Mine was a last minute "what the heck" addition to a Floribunda order (even though I'd read it's painfully slow). Your experience with it confirms that the leucomalla is going in my "probably not, but hang out here (out of sight) just in case you're cool someday" area. No spot in the yard unless it earns it... many many years from now.

Looking forward to seeing the DD hybrid at some point... no rush though (just curious what mine might grow to look like).

Thanks again... especially for revealing that HI palms aren't always picture-perfect :rolleyes:

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

I planted two leucomalas about 10 feet apart (full sun east Hawaii mode). One looks like the non-grower above but the other is growing reasonably well. This is not uncommon in my experience, and is why I try to plant groups of three.

• Like 3

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.