IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Over Trimmed Robellini Palms

Stephanie888

Hello. I was hoping someone here would be able to answer a quick question for me please. I have two Robellini Palms in my front yard and recently they started producing seeds and making a mess all around the trees so I asked my gardener if he could please remove the seed pods from under the trees. He said he would, but when I came home, I was actually shocked to find that he trimmed all the lower fronds from the palms and did not remove the seed pods at all.

I instantly reached out to him to ask why he did not remove the seed pods and he said because those seeds are going to become new fronds and the brown parts will just fall off on their own. I cannot find any information on this online so I am unsure if it is true or not but it does not sound accurate to me. Furthermore, I found out online that if you trim Robellini Palms to look like a 'rooster head' like what he did, it can actually cause the tree diseases or even cause it to die. So now I'm freaking out a bit because I love my trees so much and I'm terrified that they are going to catch a disease or die or that the fronds will not grow back because I loved the way those trees looked before.

I guess I'm just looking for answers on this. Do the seeds really turn into new fronds? Also will my tree's fronds grow back and will the trees be okay? Thank you so much for any answers you may have for me, I truly appreciate them. Below are images of what the Robellini Palms look like now as well as the seed pods.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q184/Suigrey/20180512_094813_zpsol6liclb.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q184/Suigrey/20180511_193323_zpsxejgh25x.jpg

• Upvote 1

1) No, seeds do not turn into new fronds (on the same plant).  The only new fronds that will come up are going to be the multitude of new baby palms that will result from them.

2) Cutting live tissue on a plant can spread disease, but rest easy.  Phoenix roebelenii don't have the disease issues to the extent some other phoenix sp. do.  The fronds will grow back eventually, faster if it continues to rain in Florida the way it has.

• Upvote 4

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Someone wasn't truthful, to put it nicely.. One big reason a lot (most) of members here do their own pruning /care for palms in their collections..

No, the seed stalks won't turn into new fronds.. Nor will any trimmed fronds grow back. All new growth starts in the center. Robelini are pretty tough palms so ..as long as they are left alone, should put on new /full growth in no time.  Seed stalks are independent structures and could have been easily removed without touching fronds you'd wanted to keep on the palm.

Recently had a similar incident  happen with the landscaper who cares for my grandparents yard back in CA. Didn't listen to requests not to trim a fully loaded (with fruit) Strawberry Guava. It has taken a few years from when id planted it for it to reach the size it was..  Glad i'm not currently there.. Someone's job would be on the line. 

-Nathan

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Stephanie888 said:

Hello. I was hoping someone here would be able to answer a quick question for me please. I have two Robellini Palms in my front yard and recently they started producing seeds and making a mess all around the trees so I asked my gardener if he could please remove the seed pods from under the trees. He said he would, but when I came home, I was actually shocked to find that he trimmed all the lower fronds from the palms and did not remove the seed pods at all.

I instantly reached out to him to ask why he did not remove the seed pods and he said because those seeds are going to become new fronds and the brown parts will just fall off on their own. I cannot find any information on this online so I am unsure if it is true or not but it does not sound accurate to me. Furthermore, I found out online that if you trim Robellini Palms to look like a 'rooster head' like what he did, it can actually cause the tree diseases or even cause it to die. So now I'm freaking out a bit because I love my trees so much and I'm terrified that they are going to catch a disease or die or that the fronds will not grow back because I loved the way those trees looked before.

I guess I'm just looking for answers on this. Do the seeds really turn into new fronds? Also will my tree's fronds grow back and will the trees be okay? Thank you so much for any answers you may have for me, I truly appreciate them. Below are images of what the Robellini Palms look like now as well as the seed pods.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q184/Suigrey/20180512_094813_zpsol6liclb.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q184/Suigrey/20180511_193323_zpsxejgh25x.jpg

Seed branches do not turn into fronds.

Seeds --> New Fronds on palm (I would FACE PALM if someone told me that)

It'll take a while for your palms to grow new fronds, but they will do so.

I've seen a lot of palms in this area trimmed to almost nothing and they came back, but this stunts the palm's growth somewhat and is not good practice to any extent whatsoever.

Welcome to Palmtalk !  :)

You need a new gardener.  The seed pods will not become fronds.  Over trimming of the older fronds is detrimental to the health of the palm.  Palms are poor in the uptake of mineral nutrition from the soil and it has been demonstrated that palms recycle nutrients from the older, dying fronds to the newer growth. Therefore if one cuts older fronds prematurely the palm is robbed of its hard won nutrients.  Don't cut off green foliage, only yellow or brown, and try to maintain a hemispherical profile to the crown of fronds. 

• Upvote 5

San Francisco, California

Its a shame your gardener is literally from the bottom of the barrel. In all my years, his knowledge is about as low as you can go. Anyway, all good information stated above. And usually.....like almost always, your palms will be fine and the threat of getting sick is very minimal. A big welcome to the forum and many of us would enjoy pictures of your yard or neighborhood.

Jeff

• Upvote 4

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 2 years later...

I’m a 63 year old woman with two 12’ Robellinis  and a center 10’ and I trim them myself and remove the seed pods. Super easy to do. There’s a great video on trimming them on you tube and I also once a year power wash them. They look great. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I am very interested in learning more about these trees. We have several and the power washing was very interesting!!! Can you tell me more?

• 1 year later...

These are nicknamed Devil trees. Their thorns are highly dangerous. I got stung by a thorn while trimming with cotton gardening gloves I instantly got an infection. My finger swelled and throbbed with pain. I went to the emergency room, and was given as prescription for antibiotics.  I developed a pea size lump and went to a Dermatologist who removed the lump. The next day I removed the bandage and saw a thorn that worked it's way out. 

Edited by Edith
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Edith said:

These are nicknamed Devil trees. Their thorns are highly dangerous. I got stung by a thorn while trimming with cotton gardening gloves I instantly got an infection. My finger swelled and throbbed with pain. I went to the emergency room, and was given as prescription for antibiotics.  I developed a pea size lump and went to a Dermatologist who removed the lump. The next day I removed the bandage and saw a thorn that worked it's way out. 

Thats one of my fears when it comes to messing with these, im probably overly cautious lol. Hate to hear that it caused an infection, glad everything worked out though! Welcome to PT!

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

2 hours ago, JLM said:

Thats one of my fears when it comes to messing with these, im probably overly cautious lol. Hate to hear that it caused an infection, glad everything worked out though! Welcome to PT!

Eyewear of some sort like sunglasses is the minimum I wear messing with any palms and move super carefully cutting fronds with gloves.  Even a frond tip can poke/cut your eye not even thorns

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

1 hour ago, Allen said:

Eyewear of some sort like sunglasses is the minimum I wear messing with any palms and move super carefully cutting fronds with gloves.  Even a frond tip can poke/cut your eye not even thorns

Yep - got poked in the eye by a Trachycarpus Fortunei frond not that long ago - hurt for about a month.

Apparently the home owner here doesn't like getting stabbed!  This is what happens when no trimming is done!  :bemused:

IMG_20220804_133530.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Jon Sunder

7 hours ago, Fusca said:

Apparently the home owner here doesn't like getting stabbed!  This is what happens when no trimming is done!  :bemused:

IMG_20220804_133530.jpg

Certainly works if you like the skirt lol

There is no way i would let my palms go untrimmed like that!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa