IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Amorphophallus konjac Leo 1st Time Flower

PalmatierMeg

Among the non-palm plants I have are so-called "voodoo lilies" of genus Amorphophallus. The largest of these is the enormous, odiferous "corpse flower" that draws crowds in some botanical gardens. I don't that that giant species but I have a number of others. Among the most common is A. konjac, which has  several variations. The one in  this topic is A. konjac 'Leo'. These plants emerge every spring with one tall palmlike leaf that lasts through summer before dying back in the fall. I keep all my voodoo lilies in pots to make sure none of them becomes invasive. Along about Nov. I remove corms from their pots, roll in garden dust, then store them in paper bags in my garden shed over the winter. Temps here don't fall low enough to freeze them solid. About April I pot them again, water, then wait for them to send up leaves. When a corm reaches maturity, it will send up a spectacular hooded flower first before any leaves, which is what the plant in the following photos is doing. Great plants with a Jurassic Park look.

Amorphophallus konjac 'Leo' in flower, Cape Coral, FL

5afb3f39bef22_AmorphophalluskonjacLeo0205afb3f12eaac1_AmorphophalluskonjacLeo0105afb3f8055513_AmorphophalluskonjacLeo0705afb3f2976c60_AmorphophalluskonjacLeo0305afb3f5f7fc97_AmorphophalluskonjacLeo0505afb3f6f5458d_AmorphophalluskonjacLeo0605afb3f8fd6ccf_AmorphophalluskonjacLeo0905afb3f9edf917_AmorphophalluskonjacLeo100

Amorphophallus konjac Leo 05-15-18.jpg

• Upvote 6

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Congratulations. How long have you had the plant before it flowered?

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

On 5/17/2018, 7:52:13, Tracy S said:

Congratulations. How long have you had the plant before it flowered?

Just guessing but about 3 years. First one to flower.

Meg

Florida

Are you certain on the Id? It looks a bit different from others I've seen, including mine (hardy here in 7a), in that it has a longer, spiky spadix, and looks...prettier. :)

A.konjac20060529002.jpg

A.konjac20060522002.jpg

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

That is nice. As for mine, I just report what I was told. Apparently, A. konjac comes in a number of varieties. I just purchased corms of var. 'Nightstick' that are supposed to have nearly black stems (don't know what the flower will be - I hope similar to yours).

Meg

Florida

10 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

That is nice. As for mine, I just report what I was told. Apparently, A. konjac comes in a number of varieties. I just purchased corms of var. 'Nightstick' that are supposed to have nearly black stems (don't know what the flower will be - I hope similar to yours).

If not, I can probably send you a small corm.  I'll see what comes up this year.

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

Thanks. On another topic the bifid leaf african oil palm is doing great in my jungle. Hurricane Irma tried to blow it over but we staked it up.

Meg

Florida

Meg - does this flower give off a scent? :interesting:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B