IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hard Rock Daytona palms

Bill H2DB

Here's  pics of some of the plantings at the newly opened Hard Rock in Daytona Beach .

The Beccarriophoenix ?? 's are blasted . There was an article in one of the papers about the landscaping , but 

I don't have it .  I remember a mention of the palms being brought in from Madagascar , so I assume that they are

Beccarriophoenix , but the Species was not mentioned . 

The Sabal palms , of course are freshly placed , and will be ok after they grow out . 

I'm not sure when the Beccario's were placed , but they may have been there just in time for this years Freeze . ? ?

These pics were taken from the adjacent Public parking lot .

40327355240_cf564b1837_b.jpgHard Rock palms 5-13-18 a by Bill H, on Flickr

42087802312_4f3021a532_b.jpgHard Rock palms 5-13-18 b by Bill H, on Flickr

27263490757_e961356636_b.jpgHard Rock Pontiac by Bill H, on Flickr

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Nice find! They do kind of look like B. alfredii, but it's hard to tell because of the cold damage. If they are, that's good news for the species, as commercial planting like this mean there's a greater likelihood of starting to see them in the landscape!

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I'm surprised they took so much damage. Maybe cause they're newly planted? Looks like lots of green in the center still but these places love to yank anything with any damage to appeal to guests. 

Those are definitely Beccariophoenix alfredii but that isn't cold damage, it is salt damage. The salt spray is very bad there especially in winter with NE winds. Did they plant any on the west side of the building where it is protected?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

The NE winds in North Florida can be brutal

• Upvote 1

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

• 2 years later...

Well , here is about 3 years later .

There is nothing here that can't be explained other than by Neglect .

Note that even the Sabals are struggling . It is due to lack of irrigation . The rest of the adjacent parking lot has Sabals in the same condition .

Yes , it is a beachfront windy location , but even there , when palms are watered , they do well better than this .  They put this stuff in to satisfy the building code , and then

never give it another thought .

51110113845_40fb0b88a5_c.jpgHard Rock Daytona palms 2021 a by Bill H, on Flickr

51109238028_8957cfa492_c.jpgHard Rock Daytona palms 2021  b by Bill H, on Flickr

51109083779_5eb2eb9ed5_c.jpgHard Rock Daytona palms 2021  c by Bill H, on Flickr

Compare those to these below at Andy Romano Park in Ormond Beach , just 3 miles north. :

51108795077_e00db497e2_c.jpgAndy Romano park Ormond Beach by Bill H, on Flickr

• Like 4

I’m shocked by the state of their palms and many other other beachside palms in Volusia. 

Maybe I just never paid attention in my life before I was an official palm nut but it seems many are neglected or just salt burned to Hell.

I've noticed once you get much north of Cocoa Beach, zone 10 palms tend to look pretty rough in most cases.  Especially the coconuts, and coconuts are certainly as accustomed to salt spray as any palm, so I would say that rough look with necrotic foliage is due to mostly the cold wind over the winter and maybe in smaller part due to the recent drought.  Mainly the chill the coast north of Brevard County experiences though.

• Like 3

The last picture I posted is of  a different Park in the area , just up the road from the Hard Rock . The palms there are in much better condition .

They get attention and are given reasonable irrigation .  Yes , the salt air and winds coming off of the water affect them , but the irrigation

is maintained . Sabals , being native to this area can tolerate these conditions fairly well .

Here is a Google Maps view of some other palms just south of the Hard Rock . These palms look quite good . They are not thrust into tiny areas , surrounded by

concrete and asphalt , so they get the benefit of the rains . The ones near the building , I assume ,  receive water from normal care , and seem to even have mulch .

51111298548_07ab82d3ac_c.jpgScreen Shot 2021-04-12 at 8.04.58 AM by Bill H, on Flickr

The Hard Rock and other similar plantings that suffer similarly , are the result of owners , and the City , doing the minimum necessary to satisfy Code , and 

having no further involvement . A token irrigation system is installed , no maintenance or monitoring is done , and on we go !!

The rain falls on 4 acres of Asphalt , sloped to SR A1A , and away it goes . The narrow strips in which the palms are planted , have soil raised above the surrounding

pavement , so very little rain can enter the soil .  

Parks operated by Volusia County , or by most of the other Cities along the beach , have better results / operations . 

I am surprised that the landscaping is so poorly maintained there. I  find it hard to believe that it is due to cost cutting as the Hard Rock franchise generates piles of money for the Seminole Tribe. The flagship Hard Rock facility here in Hollywood with the giant Les Paul guitar shaped hotel spares no expense. The palms are all typical for commercial landscape in south Florida (Royals, Bismarks, Phoenix, etc.) so nothing exceptional to see but still well taken care of.

That said, doing the bare minimum seems to be common practice these days. I see plenty of places that install the least landscaping possible to meet code but do nothing more after that. If a plant or tree dies it doesn't get replaced. A newly constructed apartment building nearby finished installing the landscaping but apparently no irrigation system. Until last night we haven't had significant rain here in months. The weeks old installation is toast and the 15 gallon Carpentaria palms are mere sticks with brown fronds. I doubt any of it was even initially watered in after planting.

• Upvote 2

• 6 months later...

I visited this hotel recently and the palms are in better shape now. Note the Washie Filifera to the left and right in the last photo3A133A77-2CED-480A-B51A-2BF4A96CAA48.thumb.jpeg.88011914c07e59a57663e98791324bef.jpeg

69B2A740-F174-4CF8-BA3B-E550F5824E05.thumb.jpeg.5ba61a26fdeca268651e12cc96f2b77a.jpegA7229407-AE3E-4858-BEE5-4DD13EAA72C9.thumb.jpeg.7fff33af9a279ef1eb28566d2046a19a.jpeg93AA9209-0EF5-4AD5-ACDB-7EA4D9627B24.thumb.jpeg.9984fa2101c80f1e990fc97f955a3ebb.jpegEED91A8D-E8EB-4D2E-A200-E425CCEFF846.thumb.jpeg.79eecf2ed08618ecce9d8bdba8b16e10.jpeg

• Like 1