Sign in to follow this  
Bill H2DB

Hard Rock Daytona palms

Bill H2DB

Here's  pics of some of the plantings at the newly opened Hard Rock in Daytona Beach .

The Beccarriophoenix ?? 's are blasted . There was an article in one of the papers about the landscaping , but 

I don't have it .  I remember a mention of the palms being brought in from Madagascar , so I assume that they are

Beccarriophoenix , but the Species was not mentioned . 

The Sabal palms , of course are freshly placed , and will be ok after they grow out . 

I'm not sure when the Beccario's were placed , but they may have been there just in time for this years Freeze . ? ?

These pics were taken from the adjacent Public parking lot .

40327355240_cf564b1837_b.jpgHard Rock palms 5-13-18 a by Bill H, on Flickr

42087802312_4f3021a532_b.jpgHard Rock palms 5-13-18 b by Bill H, on Flickr

27263490757_e961356636_b.jpgHard Rock Pontiac by Bill H, on Flickr

• Upvote 1

Zeeth

Nice find! They do kind of look like B. alfredii, but it's hard to tell because of the cold damage. If they are, that's good news for the species, as commercial planting like this mean there's a greater likelihood of starting to see them in the landscape!

• Upvote 1

pj_orlando_z9b

I'm surprised they took so much damage. Maybe cause they're newly planted? Looks like lots of green in the center still but these places love to yank anything with any damage to appeal to guests. 

Eric in Orlando

Those are definitely Beccariophoenix alfredii but that isn't cold damage, it is salt damage. The salt spray is very bad there especially in winter with NE winds. Did they plant any on the west side of the building where it is protected?

• Upvote 1

Steve the palmreader

The NE winds in North Florida can be brutal