• Similar Content

• BPK Palm Addict
      By BPK Palm Addict
      Hey guys,
      I just wanted to give a shout out to Jeff Searle.  We lost a lot of our palms last year due to Hurricane Irma.  Last week Jeff spent half of his day with us helping us pick out lots of beautiful palms to go back in our garden.  I will post some pictures when this wind stops and we can get them in the ground. 
      Thanks again Jeff.
      Joe and Kim

• palmhort
      By palmhort
      I just wanted to thank everyone for a great first Biennial! For years I have read about the Biennials but wasn't able to attend either from lack of time or funds. It was great to finally meet people whose names I have come across repeatedly. I also was amazed at how warm, friendly, helpfull and down-to-earth everyone was. From introducing me to others, to answering questions, everyone was amazing!

I would like to thank everyone who organized the Biennial. I'm sure it was an extremely difficult and complicated venture but overall, it seemed flawless. The accomodations were very comfortable, the food delicious and the gardens simply out of this world!! Kim Cyr, thanks for answering all my endless email questions about my transportation issues, Jeff Searle and his wife, thanks for the amazing garden tour in Key West and also showing me your home garden and chatting with me at your nursery.

It truly was incredible to meet and chat with people from all over the world...Australia, Israel, Switzerland, Scotland, etc, etc. To share stories and experiences was truly inspiring.

Although I'm not sure I will be able to attend the next Biennial, I am gratefull I was able to attend this one and to the new friendships I made thru the IPS. Thanks again!

Jeff Bielski
      New Jersey

• Moose
      By Moose
      Tropical Fern and Exotic Plant Society
      Meeting: Monday, April 28, 2014

Thailand, A Plant Lover’s Paradise

The Tropical Fern & Exotic Plant Society proudly presents Mr. Jeff Searle who will speak on Thailand, A Plant Lover’s Paradise on Monday, April 28th at 7:30 pm. The meeting will take place at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, 10901 Old Cutler Rd., Coral Gables, FL in the Corbin Building.

A year and a half ago, Jeff Searle attended the International Palm Society’s Biennial meeting at Nong Nooch in Thailand. He extended his stay to go the plant markets in Bangkok and Chang Mai and his Thai friends took him to some local gardens and nurseries as well. His talk will be a pictorial presentation of his trip and the amazing plants he saw along the way.

Jeff owns Searle Brother’s Nursery in Southwest Ranches in Broward with his brothers and father, “Pops”. He is well known for his Rainforest Collection of rare tropical palms and plants. The nursery is a wholesale operation but does open to the public for two weekends in March and in October. His personal collection of crotons numbers over 500 hundred different cultivars. Searle Brothers is recognized as one of the world's preeminent rare palm nurseries.

There is no admission fee and the public is invited to attend this presentation. There will be plants donated by Stelmar Gardens (Philip Iloo) for Raffle. Refreshments will be served. For more information please visit www.tfeps.org or call 305 232-2257.
    • Moose
      By Moose
      http://news.msn.com/us/18-foot-sea-creature-found-off-california-coast

Very strange discovery in California. Its not a Dypsis

• Moose
      By Moose
      Here is an announcement I recieved via E-mail from the South Florida Palm Society. Palm Talk's very own Jeff Searle will be the keynote speaker.

There will be a general membership meeting on Monday August 5th, 7:30pm, at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden (FTBG).

FTBG is located at 10901 Old Cutler Road, Coral Gables, FL. The meeting will be in the Corbin room.

Following the meeting, there will be an auction of palms. Please bring your palms for donation to the auction.

Light refreshments will be served. Food will be Potluck.

Free seeds will be available at the information table.

The guest speaker will be Mr. Jeff Searle. Mr. Searle is a Life Member of the SFPS and has provided the SFPS with many informative

and entertaining programs about his World travels in the past. Jeff's program for August 5th will be;

The Palms, Plants and People of Thailand

In September of last year, the Thailand Biennial of the International Palm Society was held at Nong Nooch Botanical Gardens in Pattaya. The largest collection of palms in the world is found there along with extensive collections of orchids, cycads, flowering plants and cactus. Jeff, his wife Andrea, and a good friend, Rob van der Borg, spent three weeks visiting various plant markets, nurseries and the beautiful sights in and around Bangkok. His program will allow you to share in that rich experience.

Jeff, 55, owner of Searle Brothers Nursery since 1982, grows primarily a large selection of woody ornamentals and specializes in palm trees. The 20 acre-nursery is located in Southwest Ranches.