IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Old Men of Snapper Creek Park, Miami(FL) USA

Miami_grower

Three old men (Coccothrinax crinita) a few houses apart.

Picture 1 & 2 of same two palms. The smaller palm, the older one)is actually recovering quite well from a full storm toppling, 15 or so years ago.  For the last two years its has outgrown is younger colleague. Both produce seeds.

The third palm was added to the neighborhood a few weeks before Hurricane Irma.  It had a Irma-induced lean of about 30° off center, but was quickly righted.

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

• Upvote 8

Yes, if no other flowering Coccothrinax around these should be self pollinated. No crosses.

Coccothrinax is a very promiscuous Genus. They will step out on their species.

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

2 hours ago, Moose said:

Yes, if no other flowering Coccothrinax around these should be self pollinated. No crosses.

Mustang Cocothrinax!

Jus' cain't tie 'em down; nuh uh!

Mustang Cocothrinax

Pollinatin' all over town

Alla' them hybrids, everywhere around . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

3 hours ago, Moose said:

Coccothrinax argentata is supposed to be native at least in the FL Keys and much of Miami-Dade County, which is where these Coccothrinax crinita are, so there is definitely the possibility of crosses.

There are very few of those natives around. Slower than Coccothrinax crinita. My C. argentata is 23 years planted and has just started to flower.

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

2 minutes ago, Moose said:

There are very few of those natives around. Slower than Coccothrinax crinita. My C. argentata is 23 years planted and has just started to flower.

I thought they would be more common. :wacko:

That is a long time just to flower (great that yours is! :)

35 minutes ago, Moose said:

I guess the B. Alfredii follows suit.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

it is difficult to get pure coccothrinax seed here, they cross very easily.

rare flowering trees, palms and other exotics

RE: PICTURES MISSING

When you go to the original listing, my link is here: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/56562-the-old-men-of-snapper-creek-park-miamifl-usa/  , the pictures are there.  They do not show when viewing a response.

Why? Mysterious, as noted above.. PCP at work (Pixel Conservation Program)  ;)

Actually, it is quite easy to get pure coccothrinax seed in South Florida. There are lots of hybrids in the batches at times, but most of the seedlings, for whatever reason, were self-pollinated. It is always easy to tell the hybrids by the time they are 1 gallon size. They usually grow faster than anything else in the batch regardless of species, and seldom closely resemble the species they are supposed to be. All it takes is the necessary discipline to throw them away. I throw away hundreds every year. It sucks. They are beautiful. They grow fast. But I don't want to be the guy that distributes hybrid coccothrinax.

Just bag the inflorescence with a Tyvek pollination bag and that should do the trick.  We use those bags when produce mule seed.