IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Galveston Queen Palm Carnage

mthteh1916

My parents live oak completely defoliated and a lot of them on the North and West of Fort Worth lost over half of their leaves. Quite a lot of single digits around the area.

Those photos are horrifying.  If that ever happens here in my 10A It will be like a living HELL.  I moved here to finally get away from all that mess!  Its unfortunate that even the south coast of the Unites States suffers these winters.  No real protection when things are just flowing down from the north.  At least down here on peninsular FL we have the protection of the Gulf and Atlantic. Even our winter was bad for this area.  The lowest low in St. Pete was 32F.  Thats RARE for here.  My low at my home at the soutern tip of Pinellas county (maximo point) was 37 at its coldest. Every day it rebounded to 60 or better though, and the duration of the ultimate lows was only 1-3 hours at most, so not alot got damaged here. Over inland a little and north side of tampa and north of Clearwater, different story.  Lots of burnt Christmas palms and Arecas (dypsis Lutescens) up there where they had frost. 

Heres hoping things are recovering and looking a lot better, and for no more winters like that! 

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/27/2018, 1:03:21, Opal92 said:

Thanks! This may confirm what I saw on various websites saying this species has considerable cold hardiness: some sites even said it may be able to survive upper teens. One day I'd like to trial one here in Northwest FL zone 8b.

Queensland Bottle Tree..... in Australia hardy down to -8c or 18f

http://www.blackalltambotourism.com.au/blog/-/blogs/australian-bottle-trees

On 7/1/2018, 1:49:11, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Those photos are horrifying.  If that ever happens here in my 10A It will be like a living HELL.  I moved here to finally get away from all that mess!  Its unfortunate that even the south coast of the Unites States suffers these winters.  No real protection when things are just flowing down from the north.  At least down here on peninsular FL we have the protection of the Gulf and Atlantic. Even our winter was bad for this area.  The lowest low in St. Pete was 32F.  Thats RARE for here.  My low at my home at the soutern tip of Pinellas county (maximo point) was 37 at its coldest. Every day it rebounded to 60 or better though, and the duration of the ultimate lows was only 1-3 hours at most, so not alot got damaged here. Over inland a little and north side of tampa and north of Clearwater, different story.  Lots of burnt Christmas palms and Arecas (dypsis Lutescens) up there where they had frost. 

Heres hoping things are recovering and looking a lot better, and for no more winters like that! 

I lived in St Pete from 1980 to 1989, the worst time to live there weather wise! I know you said 32 was the lowest but that was at Albert Whitted airport, in my opinion the worst spot to have the official temperature reading. I was 3 miles from downtown and recorded 25 degrees twice in the 80'S during the numerous freezes that decade. So that can happen again, but hopefully not. In my 9 years living there, coconuts did not have a chance, the only few that survived were the couple at Kopsick and maybe 1 or 2 other places. They were not common at all during the 80's, looked quite different than it does today. All the Royals were defoliated in downtown St Pete and that Banyan tree downtown froze back to the main trunk, and we had major damage at Kopsick, so downtown went below freezing for several hours.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

22 hours ago, Palmaceae said:

I lived in St Pete from 1980 to 1989, the worst time to live there weather wise! I know you said 32 was the lowest but that was at Albert Whitted airport, in my opinion the worst spot to have the official temperature reading. I was 3 miles from downtown and recorded 25 degrees twice in the 80'S during the numerous freezes that decade. So that can happen again, but hopefully not. In my 9 years living there, coconuts did not have a chance, the only few that survived were the couple at Kopsick and maybe 1 or 2 other places. They were not common at all during the 80's, looked quite different than it does today. All the Royals were defoliated in downtown St Pete and that Banyan tree downtown froze back to the main trunk, and we had major damage at Kopsick, so downtown went below freezing for several hours.

My brother just bought a house on Sanibel Island. His property has two large coco palms on it. What zone is Sanibel? The town has a website for vegetation and says it is zone 10b. Do you agree?

Edited by mthteh1916

21 minutes ago, mthteh1916 said:

My brother just bought a house on Sanibel Island. His property has two large coco palms on it. What zone is Sanibel? The town has a website for vegetation and says it is zone 10b. Do you agree?

Sanibel is right on the Gulf of Mexico. It is a warm 10b verging on 11.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 hour ago, mthteh1916 said:

Yes, I agree with Meg, 10b border line 11. 

• Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

On 7/20/2018, 10:29:05, Palmaceae said:

Yes, I agree with Meg, 10b border line 11. 

great. I just found out he has four large coco palms in his backyard.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/12/2021 at 8:25 AM, As38672 said:

What will survive the 2021 freezes that will send below freezing temps all the way to the border for days on end?

A decent amount ended up living but inland areas where hit hard .