IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Concern for Leilani Estates as lava moves eastward underground

Morabeza

Ahh, here's the video I remember from lava flowing into a crack in the ground. Found it orginally linked and still there on the Google 2018 Hawaii Island Eruption Community Project site we used extensively in the beginning of the eruption in Leilani. The video was posted by Ikaika, which makes sense as Stacy said he knew about it, and the date of the video is May 27, location Kupono Street right by where Stacy is. ( https://www.facebook.com/ikaika.marzo/videos/1816860821699779/ )

5b9f10c823da2_crackKupono-1.jpg.015a2dce

• Upvote 2

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Thinking of destruction, on the Florida coast, there's the perpetual threat of hurricanes ruining stuff.  I own a couple of big color woodcuts by a one-time Billings, Montana school teacher who gained a reputation in retirement.  The art museum in Billings has a collection of her prints, not including one of mine, and I'm thinking about checking with them to see whether they'd like the prints as gifts, if only to resell to local residents who would cherish them.  Better than ending up as soggy waste paper.

• Upvote 2

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Leilani resident Stacy Welch gave a number of interviews from her home in Leilani Estates and at the Shelter, and while looking for several of the videos she referenced during Scott's video interview with her I found these articles on her and her daughter. Don't recall seeing them posted before. Gives a better picture of how hard a time she has had since the eruption.

Hawaii News Now/Malika Lincoln. Here's the 5/23/18 news article and video from Malika's interview with Stacy.  http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/38264842/forced-from-their-homes-for-weeks-evacuees-wonder-whats-next

Interview with CNN back on May 22. https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/22/us/hawaii-kilauea-eruption-leilani-estates/index.html

In June Hawaii Tribune-Herald ran this story on Stacy and conditions at the Shelters. http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018/06/11/hawaii-news/shelter-fatgigue-stress-takes-toll-on-lava-evacuees/

Gettyimages has this B-roll video from 5/7 of Stacy storing items into that red storage shed she pointed out to Scott on the video with all the tephra on the roof. https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/video/resident-stacy-welch-arranges-belongings-in-the-leilani-news-footage/957201096  Her and Maddie were also in Clip 957202778. Additional clips are: 957193298, 957202414, 957191880. Below the video are several other videos from Leilani during the eruption. 

Found this Video of the canyon from 8/17 that Stacy took that was shared on Hawaii Lava Updates. Very similar to what Scott filmed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-W43hDtffY   Did not find the flowing river of lava going down the canyon behind her house however. 

• Upvote 3

LE resident Isaac Krakauer posted this drone footage of F8 and nearby fissures yesterday (fb Hawaii Tracker). Change setting to HD to view: ( https://www.facebook.com/isaac.krakauer/videos/1893275137426775/UzpfSTM1NzQ1NTU1NDQyMDI2OToxMDkwODIyMzU3NzUwMjQ4/ )

• Upvote 2

Tthis is the sole house that survived lava inundation when the flows went in both directions around Kapoho Crater. Always found it fascinating that it survived somehow from the flow. And now we know there are 3 little pigs living there! ( https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10215589032512112&set=pcb.10215589032952123&type=3&theater&ifg=1 )

5b9fb79a97f28_jasonhousepigs-1.thumb.jpg

5b9fb79d8220c_jasonhousepigs-2.thumb.jpg

You might remember the house from the Hawaii County Civil Defense Flickr album photos when they were doing overflights back in July. This photo below is from their 7/11 album. The above drone photos are the closest up that I've seen of the house. The grass around it is dead although I wonder if it's from the lava's heat as oppose to gases, in which case maybe there won't be corrosion of the metals like we've been seeing in homes in Leilani. I'm thinking the majority of the gases emitted in Leilani orginated from the neighboring active fissure vents and not the actual lava flow. 

7/11/2018 Kilauea, HI - East Rift Zone Eruption Event

• Upvote 2

One of my photos from August shortly after the eruption shut down.  Not as stunning as some others, but the greening of Kapoho was impressive.  Amazing that the one house survived, though perhaps not in the best condition.  

And by the way, I'm surprised that the National Park Service was able to acquire a significant property.  The Washington politics seem entirely contrary to that.  

Kapoho_crater.__Building_in_foreground_is_at_corner_of_Railroad_Ave_and_Kapoho_Rd_(132).__-1.jpg

• Upvote 2

Yep, that house's roof was not hard to spot among all the red or black of the lava. I'm sure the owners will never be able to live there and won't be able to get there for some time. Hard not to root for something to survive untouched though. Might have been a blessing for them if it had been taken if they had insurance they could have used to at least move on and rebuild. Imagine it's just a big loss at this point. Looks like it was pretty large place too. From the close up photo almost looks like it was still under construction.

I was kind of surprised about the parcel purchase. Guess waiting them out and probably with this latest eruption and how it affected the whole south of the island including the shut down of HVNP resulted in a much lower price. 

The latest spirited discussion on fb Hawaii Tracker is about a gated entry to Leilani Estates and I guess making Leilani Avenue a private street to accomplish that. Someone explained that it was a public street because it had two ways in or out. With the lava shutting down access at Poihiki Road, there really is only one way in and out and so it could qualify for a private road. We've lived in a gated community before and there are pros and cons to weigh. Our development was wired with a intercom system that went to a phone in everyone's home. So much has changed since then with most people no longer having hard wired phones. From photos I assume there was also public bus service that ran down Leilani Avenue which would be no more. How do other services get into the complex when needed? While our development had some 200+ units, it was all pretty close together and not spread out like LE is.

As for LE I do wonder if the lava field stays on private land, in which case I would think the County would step away and any income should the residents decide to open up somehow for public viewing would stay within LE. I would also wonder about liability insurance and other costs associated with turning it into a viewing area. I don't think these are easy decisions and not forgetting that many homes are wiped out or unlivable and where does the association fees come from to manage things. Can you annex a portion of the development to HVNP for example, let the Park gain access from down by the Y, and cordon off the "new park" from the homeowners. What happens to the homes down in the former no-go zone along the Malama area? Some big, beautiful homes there and some with great views. Not sure how I would feel if one of them was mine. Will be very interesting to see if LE can come to some consensus on issues facing them. Hopefully the HOA's governing laws addresses partial destruction of the community. I know we had something in case of fire or earthquake where we lived.

• Upvote 3

Even if your land is covered by lava, you still own it. Whether one can rebuild on it is not yet determined.

The LE Association has a lot to grapple with and have taken at least one informal poll about the possible gate. I am in favor of a gate for an attempt at security, at least for a few years until people can get re-settled and the future of damaged homes is determined. It's not right for outsiders to be able to wander in and potentially enter damaged properties whose owners are not able to be present. At the same time I can understand the desire to see the results of the flow up close. But there are probably ways to see that from outside LE.

Some residents and board members are irritated that Scott is taking groups inside LE for $$. This has always been a very quiet and private community, and the very last thing anyone would want is busloads of tourists cruising up and down our streets. They are privately owned streets; only Leilani Avenue was public.

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

That would be surprising if true about Scott as he has had that accusation made about him months ago by one resident there. He had heard that was being said about him at the time and was quite upset about it then and he wanted people to know he simply doesn't do that. Said the person making that statement never even spoke to him. He talked about it in one of his videos in fact. Kind of an aside, I've always had the impression that he's been very respectful of people's privacy and only filmed their property or went on it to film with their permission. As far as people walking around or driving around with him, I do know from his videos that he has a number of Leilani friends/neighbors that he hangs out with and they go around the development together. Charles would be one (and they film together frequently), his next door neighbor Noe would be another. Amanda and her father Vito have been with him. We've heard him encountering other residents while on his walks and chatting with them. He got to be walking buds with Bill who lived on Kahukai when he was there. I know he's met Gabe. As far as I know all of these people are Leilani residents and not outsiders. In all fairness to Scott really hope people know what they are talking about in this case. And if he is doing tours inside, well I can see why people would be upset.

All that being said, I'm sure if Leilani decided to allow tours to come in where the association got some of the money, he'd welcome that being a HVNP tour guide, and not unlike others who are hoping that might happen some day. Personally I would not want my neighborhood to be a tourist attraction if something like that happened where I live. I've read about the Kalapana residents that had to put up with people walking all over the place. Similar experience would be here in San Jose for neighborhood residents that suddenly had Levi's Stadium built down the road from them and encountered strangers parking and walking down their streets on game and concert days at all different hours weekday and weekends throughout the year. The toughest part I think for Leilani is that F8 is smack dab right in the middle of your development and that itself is THE draw to the area and probably always will be as long as it's cone is visible. 

• Upvote 2

Not that I'm interested in getting into a discussion about this but I have personally seen Scott with a group (half dozen or so) of visitors from the U.S. Midwest at the (then) Pomaikai & Leilani barricade and it was pretty obvious that they weren't exactly close friends of his. Simply people he was showing around.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

22 hours ago, Dave-Vero said:

One of my photos from August shortly after the eruption shut down.  Not as stunning as some others, but the greening of Kapoho was impressive.  Amazing that the one house survived, though perhaps not in the best condition.  

And by the way, I'm surprised that the National Park Service was able to acquire a significant property.  The Washington politics seem entirely contrary to that.  

Kapoho_crater.__Building_in_foreground_is_at_corner_of_Railroad_Ave_and_Kapoho_Rd_(132).__-1.jpg

Man, that guy's gonna be bummed if he ever needs to borrow a cup of sugar or a coupla eggs.

• Upvote 1

In the News:

Getting closer to a name for F8: http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/09/18/hawaii-news/lava-upsurge-dies-down-naming-the-fissure-heats-up/

----

5ba1920051d0d_support-1.jpg.da824974c776

----

News on the Pahoa pool and recreational facilities (and Shelter) that residents asked about at the last Pahoa Community Meeting. Speaking of which, wonder if there is a meeting scheduled for Tomorrow at the High School or has it been cancelled since the evacuation order was lifted? At the last meeting on Sept 5 there had been a request to move the date as Wednesdays had been a long standing day/night for Uncle Roberts.

5ba192fea4f21_pool-1.jpg.82452f0086c8655

and news on the closing of the Pahoa Shelter: 

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018/09/18/hawaii-news/closing-of-pahoa-lava-shelter-a-bittersweet-moment-for-volunteers-staff/

----

Plans begin for reopening Hwy 137 to Pohoiki: http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018/09/18/hawaii-news/county-eyes-reopening-highway-137-to-pohoiki/

----

Awaiting for the reopening of HVNP: http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018/09/17/hawaii-news/everyones-gearing-up-businesses-wait-for-reopening-of-hawaii-volcanoes-national-park/

Reopening date 9/22 @ 10a.m. and with free admission: http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/09/18/breaking-news/hawaii-volcanoes-national-park-will-reopen-with-free-admission-on-sept-22/

If you have plans to travel to the Park for the opening here's a map of what trails will be accessible:

5ba19b6d8a200_hvnp-1(7).thumb.jpg.6b3df1

----

A joint project with HVO deployed a seismic array back in June to track the magma in 3D. http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018/09/16/features/volcano-watch-seismic-array-deployed-to-better-understand-magma-transport/  Looking forward to see what the result show for the time in use.

----

The Disaster Recovery Center has new hours:

5ba19a0b02f64_drc-1.jpg.163a02bc5045c7a6

• Upvote 2

When first started viewing Nautilus was presently at ~2000 m depth surveying and sampling at an entirely unexplored seamount in the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument in Hawaii. If you are around and seeing this now, check out Channel 1 and scrub back to the beginning of the live feed. The quantity of sponges and various starfish etc down there is amazing. Very colorful, simply gorgeous. Earlier saw this vibrant purple sea cucumber. Some fish, a white lobster. Clearly an older established lava flow area compared to Lo'ihi seamount where mostly only microbes have made a home at this point. 

https://www.nautiluslive.org

Here's a sample of what they saw down there among the lava. 

Bubblegum coral:

5ba1cc7c2b8bc_pinkbubblegum-1.thumb.jpg.

This coral? has a spiral formation to it.

5ba1cd0192e33_spiral-1.thumb.jpg.bc59e9a

The purple cucumber:

5ba1d7981a77e_purplesponge-1.thumb.jpg.c

A delicate leafy sponge:

5ba1cd6220ba9_moresponges-1.thumb.jpg.e6

5ba1ce9736d41_moresponges-1(1).thumb.jpg

5ba1ced13f1ff_moresponges-1(2).thumb.jpg

and just one of the shrimp that likes to hang out in the coral.

5ba1cecf75df6_moresponges-2.thumb.jpg.f8

5ba1d660245ce_fish-1(1).thumb.jpg.1aac24

5ba1d2a87bdca_fish-1.thumb.jpg.0dfd0cd46

If you are curious to depth at this point they are at about 1800 meters (or around 5900 feet). And just three more. So hard to chose which photos to show you. Beauty every few feet.

5ba1d0e99d069_moresponges-1(3).thumb.jpg

5ba1d0eba440f_moresponges-2(1).thumb.jpg

5ba1d19867a50_moresponges-1(4).thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

Pohoiki boat ramp update

https://youtu.be/ajenHbaqMEU

• Upvote 3

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

My guess as a beach watcher but non geologist is that if so much sand got generated from surf operating on fresh lava, that lots more sand should be on the way for quite some time.  Dredging the boat ramp area to eliminate the new beach is no doubt feasible, but I suspect it would be expensive and require response after every storm bringing longshore currents from the north.  

If no other good boat ramp sites can be developed, the costs might be worthwhile, but I hope competent coastal geologists can be consulted before any committments are made.

Ikaika did a live broadcast from Honolulu on Wednesday. Gives his feelings about opening up Pohoiki which there's controversy about doing apparently. ( https://www.facebook.com/ikaika.marzo/videos/1985285978190595/UzpfSTM1NzQ1NTU1NDQyMDI2OToxMDkyNDQ2NjI3NTg3ODIx/ )

• Upvote 2

In the News:

From West Hawaii Today, Wednesday. Hawaii County/Puna recovery request from legislature of $800M scaled back to $140M. http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/2018/09/19/hawaii-news/lava-recovery-wish-list-scaled-down-by-county/

Removed from the wishlist was funds to buy out private property owners who's land had been inundated or isolated by lava. If it happens it would likely come from Federal funds not State. Not sure where that leaves many in Leilani and elsewhere as far as the immediate future.

----

Volcano Art Center Gallery scheduled to reopen in HVNP: https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018/09/21/hawaii-news/volcano-art-center-gallery-to-reopen-in-national-park/

----

Pit Crater Trail opens in HVNP on 9/22: http://bigislandnow.com/2018/09/19/hvnp-pit-crater-trail-opening-sept-22/

----

Regarding Policy on Pohoiki Access: http://bigislandnow.com/2018/09/19/hawaii-officials-clarify-pohoiki-access-policy/

----

State looks at other sites for boat ramp: http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/2018/09/20/hawaii-news/state-looks-for-alternative-boat-ramp-sites/ 

but reopening is still a consideration: http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/09/20/hawaii-news/pohoiki-boat-ramp-could-reopen-but-no-time-frame-set-yet-2/  DLNR Video of coastline surveying possible dock sites in article as well as close up of current Pohoiki boat dock and beach area. Best video I've seen of it.

----

Woman creates controversy by selling a video of her swimming in the Kapoho Beach ponds. Even Ikaika is interviewed in this video piece on the story. She gets cease-and-desist order over unauthorized use of a song by local artist and then substitutes one by Sting.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/39133989/lava-evacuees-offended-by-video-of-woman-frolicking-in-mermaid-pools-off-kapoho

• Upvote 2

Don't know if it's been raining and this is just steam but saw this when I looked at the USGS camera on F8 just now. Something to keep an eye on just in case. 

5ba9840f9b7ec_f8-1(51).thumb.jpg.b11d3de

5ba989508ed2f_f8-1(52).thumb.jpg.8c2e4c2

Here's a camera view from last night when I noticed a few heat spots if you zoom in.

5ba989bba918a_f8-1(53).thumb.jpg.5b0abdb

Yesterday Pu'uO'o had a pink dust cloud from a rock collapse. No indication it was anything else.

5ba985122e08a_puuoo-1(3).jpg.8e47dfb621d

Been rather busy and not checking in as often as before. I know HVNP opened and John Stallman, who's a ranger there, made a video from there. 

UPDATE: Well a few minutes after the interior F8 photos were taken and can see from Lavacam that it's raining there now, so hopefully just steam.

5ba98cd99112b_f8-1(54).jpg.52d4c9fbc7f62

• Upvote 2

Here's video from John Stallman ( https://www.facebook.com/john.stallman.9/videos/1344745828994264/UzpfSTM1NzQ1NTU1NDQyMDI2OToxMDk0MDg0MjE0MDkwNzI5/ )

Here's the mini-talk from Philip and John on 9/21 about F8 and the opening of HVNP. ( https://www.facebook.com/phil.hawaii/videos/10216251067051376/ )  I think there is another more detailed accounting and will post when I locate it.

• Upvote 2

Gabe posted a video two days ago of a drone flight over PGV and surrounding kipuka area.

And video from back on 9/22, video drone footage over Fissure 8.

• Upvote 3

Darryl Clinton, the man "attacked" by F17 with the lava bomb to his leg, has been in my thoughts since it happened. Hadn't seen much in the way of updates until today. This was posted by fb Steveandlori Hill. I'm posting the link to the article for those that want to see a video of him and a photo of his ankle (some will find graphic and might not want to look). 

5bac25d2bddfd_daryllclinton-1.jpg.0c87c2

5bac25d5415d7_daryllclinton-2.jpg.9f8381

Video, photos and GoFundme info: https://www.facebook.com/groups/hawaiitracker/permalink/1096261243873026/

https://www.gofundme.com/5dbkh-frist

• Upvote 2

Some catching up posts.

Checking in to see how things are in Puna after seeing this USGS lava cam of F8 from a few minutes ago. The sky above was blue and Harry Durgin's lavacam indicated more of the same. I understand from a post Harry Durgin made that yesterday and the day before saw some rain.

5bb1828d36031_F8-1(55).thumb.jpg.c30fa80

5bb1828b5caa0_F8-2(11).thumb.jpg.dd9f4ff

Did a check on fb Hawaii Tracker and the vast majority of the photos and posts for the last few weeks have been of flowers, surf and rainbows and sunsets. I did see this post Ken Boyer made on 9/26 of the cloud plume over Halema'um'u and the mention of detectible gas in the air. ( https://www.facebook.com/K.BryanHI/posts/2133691996663877 )

----

On 9/28 there was a 4.0 earthquake that shook Kohala Mountain and reportedly felt in Maui by fb Hawaii Tracker member as well as others around the Big Island after being awoken by it. ( http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2018/09/28/magnituce-4-0-earthquake-shakes-kohala-mountain/ ) Kohala is the most northern volcano on the island and long considered extinct so it was surprising to many.

----

Multigenerational families who have depended on launching their boats from Pohoiki met with Joy SanBuenaventura to speak their case for why Pohoiki needs to be reopened for boating as well. https://www.facebook.com/hilojoy/posts/10217850712927855

• Upvote 2

Philip and John Stallman gave this mini-update and the full live update on Friday, 9/28.

Mini ( https://www.facebook.com/phil.hawaii/videos/10216304967398851/ )

And the full 44 min. update with indepth discussion ( https://www.facebook.com/phil.hawaii/videos/10216304983399251/?hc_location=ufi )

• Upvote 2

Two video updates from Gabe. First from F11 and F12 just outside of Leilani.

and the second one from an interview with Gary, a Leilani resident.

• Upvote 2

Ryan Finlay (fb Hawaii Tracker) posted these images of the lava coverage from the Puna Eruption from USGS images and maps produced by Planet Labs. He added street names within Leilani for easy identification. I was wondering when we'd see an aerial view of the damage. Here's link to access the photos: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156084288395749&set=pcb.1098953583603792&type=3&theater&ifg=1

5bb289af85c1c_Eruptioncoverageoflava-1.j

And here's his post with a more detailed look at Leilani around F8. Link to see the images: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156084288395749&set=pcb.1098953583603792&type=3&theater&ifg=1

5bb28c6d5e37b_Eruptioncoverageoflava-1(1

• Upvote 2

Video of the Monday HUB talk with Ikaika, Philip, John and special guest Joseph Anthony (who had his camera confiscated by officials). ( https://www.facebook.com/ikaika.marzo/videos/1999164776802715/UzpfSTc5Nzg2OTUxMToxMDk5MjI3MTgzNTc2NDMy/ ) 1hr 5 min.

• Upvote 2

I haven't seen anything mentioned on fb Hawaii Tracker about work at the Y intersection but just glanced over at my open lavacam view and saw this @ 9:44 am.

5bb3cefcda25f_workattheY-1.thumb.jpg.08b

Some minutes later @ 10am when I checked again saw this...the helicopter has landed there apparently.

5bb3cf7d2b384_workattheY-1(1).thumb.jpg.

BTW this is the current USGS view of F8. And their timestamp is still off. Right now on the camera it's showing 9:28 and my computer shows 10:11. 

5bb3d0911856e_f8-1(56).jpg.d60d4546aa735

• Upvote 2

A few updates from fb Hawaii Tracker on conditions there:

5bb3d1dd9f107_dane-1(8).jpg.329c8a7dec2f

5bb3d22b37d1d_dane-1(9).jpg.41666d0dbc5f

• Upvote 2

The Hawaiian Paradise Park micro units have officially opened, Hale Iki Village housing 11 lava displaced families.

5bb3d3013c3ac_haleiki-1.jpg.747d6e3e60f8

Accompanying video link: https://www.facebook.com/788488181269228/videos/1083204375179293/UzpfSTE2NTEwMDU1NjQ6MTA5OTE0OTA3NjkxNzU3Ng/

I just saw on the news this morning that Oakland, CA is building housing for the homeless creating Turf Shed villages: https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/video/category/spoken-word-kpixtv/3945197-oakland-homeless-oakland-officials-build-turf-shed-village-to-house-growing-homeless-population/

• Upvote 2

Potluck at the Hub! The HUB provided essentials and food for many evacuees during the past few months and strangers became friends there. People are missing that connection that was formed so Pu'uhonua o Puna is instituting a talk on every 1st and 3rd Monday at the HUB with everyone asked to bring a dish to share. 

5bb3d57013a9d_hubdinner-1.jpg.f0ee7c0e4d

• Upvote 2