IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Concern for Leilani Estates as lava moves eastward underground

Morabeza

Some updates on F8 so you stay in the loop of what's going on there. I didn't notice the F8 glow last night, doing other things, but Harry and John followed up Sunday night with their observations. My photo posted above of the glow was from Sat. 9/1 @ 7:24pm HST for reference. 

5b8db946b579e_f8Saturdaynight-1.jpg.916c

Here's link to the video, was quite active actually compared to their previous video capture. ( https://www.facebook.com/dane.dupont.731/videos/pcb.1083539871811830/222655291936953/?type=3&theater&ifg=1 )

----

From Today, Monday 9/3, Labor Day:

5b8dbc180b2da_f8-1(30).jpg.4dbd6f0d5fdac

5b8dbb4b622d3_f8-1(28).thumb.jpg.3f7812f

5b8dbb489e30f_f8-1(29).thumb.jpg.79f5bbe

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156020367215749&set=pcb.1083515961814221&type=3&theater&ifg=1 )

If you look at Alexis' photo of the lava pool, which must have been taken last week, you can see how much lava has refilled the vent area since then.

5b8dbe1c46464_F8inside-1.thumb.jpg.02f52

• Upvote 1

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Now this might be a cool volunteer thing to do if you are in the area just to be part of the recovery effort.

5b8dc0d1b0111_HVNPvolunteers-1.jpg.c171e

• Upvote 1

Philip gives a quick preview of tonight's talk. ( https://www.facebook.com/phil.hawaii/videos/10216088912197606/ )

And his update from Labor Day about the changes in F8 and other items ( https://www.facebook.com/phil.hawaii/videos/vb.1293917994/10216088927757995/?type=2&theater )

• Upvote 1

Here's the Hawaii News Now article that Philip was quoted in that he mentioned in his talk today.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/39011662/hvo-reluctant-to-call-kilauea-eruption-completely-over-after-new-glow-seen

Video coverage including on-camera comments with Philip, along with video of Harry Durgin's time lapse of the glow : http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/clip/14605460/after-a-lengthy-pause-in-activity-is-fissure-8-waking-back-up?

Video showing the size of F8: http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/clip/14605545/new-video-shows-the-sheer-size-of-fissure-8

• Upvote 1

I watched the Nautilus Live off and on the past few days during its mission to map and sample the Lo'ihi Seamount 20 some miles off the southern flank of Kilauea. Saw someone on fb Hawaii Tracker post that they compiled a video of two days' worth of footage edited down to 29 minutes, and thought if you missed seeing it and had wanted to, I'd share the link to their video. Yesterday they explored and sampled the "Forbidden vents" on the interior east side of Pele's Pit crater (one of three that formed after Lo'ihi's summit collapsed over the last few decades). Today they explored the outside walls of it and moved to explore the exterior crater walls of the West pit (aka "Pit of Death") crater. 

I LOL as I did a screen grab myself of this same fish from today's mission when they encountered him.

BTW assuming the weather holds up they have a few more dives planned (hurricanes are in the Pacific so weather unsure). Next dive is due to start tonight at midnight HST (3am PDT on Tuesday) and I think they said runs until 4pm HST if all goes well.

UH Professor Ken Rubin created this website for Lo'ihi back in the late '90s, and I found it was helpful in understanding some of what I was viewing from Hercules (ROV): https://www.soest.hawaii.edu/GG/HCV/loihi-newpit.html

Another useful website on Lo'ihi would be the Schmidt Ocean Institute ( https://schmidtocean.org/cruise-log-post/a-dive-in-the-life-of-sentry/ ) who mapped parts of Lo'ihi, including Pele's Pit, a number of years back. The technology used in the mapping today by Hercules differs in that it is laser and can produce high-res mapping images. They said they are still tweaking the software.

If you are interested in a bathymetric map of the southern flank of Kilauea including Lo'ihi, I found this site helpful. I wonder how the mapping off Pohoiki and Kapoho especially has changed with the recent volume of ocean entry lava. https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Bathymetric-map-of-the-southeast-flank-of-Hawaii-Island-showing-locations-of-major_fig1_256091916

• Upvote 1

Harry joined Philip and John on Philip's YouTube channel post from Saturday, 9/1 (video from 8/31). This talk hasn't been posted here yet so wanted to add it. Nice to see Harry Durgin. They are talking about the changes at F8 and what Harry was able to help with on the glow issue.

BTW Philip is hoping more people find his YT channel and he's going to post about it on Hawaii Tracker (the video quality on YT is much better than on fb, has closed captioning, always landscape mode, and the screen size provides a better view also) so hopefully people who watch this will also Like it (and subscribe too, if you are so inclined).

• Upvote 1

Mark Hinshaw posted this on fb Hawaii Tracker about HVNP Jaggar Museum moving to Pahoa, in the short timeframe and permanently. The video he posted takes you inside Jaggar as they look over items there. His video will give you a good look inside the building of the damage that has been done from the earthquakes up at the summit.

5b8f2854751a2_jaggar-1.jpg.0fe030ca0ff53

Video: ( https://www.facebook.com/mark.hinshaw.94/videos/10156469097997508/UzpfSTM1NzQ1NTU1NDQyMDI2OToxMDg0MTI4OTMxNzUyOTI0/ )

• Upvote 2

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park will need a lot of support for repairs and for rethinking visitor access and experiences in a new situation at the summit, where there might possibly be a greater chance of explosions than in the years since HVNP opened.  Moving the Jaggar Museum and other facilities to Pahoa seems a fine idea, though as just a quick and casual visitor, I'm the last one to ask.

This comes at a very bad time for the National Park Service and the Department of the Interior in general.  I'm impressed that the NPS and USGS seem to have coped with events rather effectively.  The official National Park Foundation is able to channel private funds to Park projects (its younger sister, the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, is similar).  

• Upvote 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Philip and John gave this brief update from the HUB. They will be attending the Pahoa Community Meeting at the High School Cafeteria (new day announced by CD a few weeks ago--tonight the first meeting on Wednesdays) and plan to do another update afterwards.https://www.facebook.com/phil.hawaii/videos/10216104846315949/ )

5b90abb4e5b80_usgsf8-1.thumb.jpg.a6cd4fe

For a better view of the USGS video of F8's new little cone within the cone, you can view it here:

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo/multimedia_uploads/multimediaFile-2623.mp4

and here's a close up view. USGS reports it's appx. 10-13 feet tall at this point.

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo/multimedia_uploads/multimediaFile-2624.mp4

Here is another update from Philip and John (29 minutes) about changes happening in the area. Some big announcement at tonight's Community meeting supposedly, info on the Pahoa HVNP center, more info on F8's cone, etc.  ( https://www.facebook.com/phil.hawaii/videos/vb.1293917994/10216104849756035/?type=2&theater )

• Upvote 1

Saw Harry Durgin post this on fb Hawaii Tracker and if you are in the area might want to attend.

5b90ab0a96fd9_harryexhibit-1.jpg.18a7965

• Upvote 1

Ann Kalber has posted this Live Streamed from tonight's Pahoa Community Meeting. ( https://www.facebook.com/annthen/videos/10217488644745680/UzpfSTM1NzQ1NTU1NDQyMDI2OToxMDg0NzY0MzA1MDIyNzIw/ )

If you want to check out the Q&A from the last meeting (8/14), here's the direct link: http://records.hawaiicounty.gov/Weblink/1/edoc/95825/2018-08-14%20Questions%20%20Answers%20Eruption%20Community%20Meeting.pdf

In tonight's meeting USGS presented the current situation with F8. If someone needs help cleaning tephra from their gutters and roofs or off their catchment tank, there is a local community effort being formed (website mentioned in video--https://www.crisiscleanup.org) where neighbors, church groups, etc. will arrange to come to your location and assist. They emphasized these are local volunteers that are doing this and if you want to form a volunteer group to help let them know. The work will begin in the non-mandatory area of Leilani Estates. 

Talmadge spoke about the conditions and restrictions. The public relations officer for HELCO spoke about restoration of service. They are doing work in preparation for the possible lifting of mandatory evacuation area. Presently doing damage assessment and removing damaged equipment still there. When CD lifts mandatory evac, they will start restoring power with the emphasis towards safety in a systematic way and will take some time depending on the damage. There was map presented that prioritizes the areas. The map isn't visible in this video but I'm guessing when Big Island Video News puts up their video presentation it will focus on the map that was on the projector screen.

Ron? spoke about transitioning to recovery and did a quick presentation. The last 10-12 minutes were devoted to residents' questions and followed a similar format as last meeting.

• Upvote 1

Regarding above community meeting. The Q&A did last longer than mentioned above (guess I looked at the timecode on the video wrong). 

----

Here's a photo from lavacam that shows the yellow tape in place at the Y marking off the 50-ft lava exclusion area. Guessing there is something similar in Leilani???

5b90b65770c2a_yellowtaped50feet-1.thumb.

• Upvote 1

Anyone from Leilani know what area Scott and Vito start traveling on that are dirt roads? @bgl, this wasn't back by your old property was it? He does at one point mention reaching Malama half way through the video and they clearly are in LE then. Just wondered if they started maybe on property to the south of Leilani. So nice to see green vegetation down there. :D

• Upvote 1

The above video is cruising north on one of the first streets off the highway in Leilani Estates. (Edit: among others - the video is edited and they are cruising several of these streets.) At 1:50 they are passing where Bo and I are staying, on the left. This is Section I of Leilani Estates, where roads are not paved, there are no CC&Rs, no HOA fees, and people love their free and simple ways. It is a jungle paradise. The street is tropical enough, but these guys have no idea of the shocking tropical botanical beauty behind the gates. ;)

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

2 hours ago, Kim said:

The above video is cruising north on one of the first streets off the highway in Leilani Estates. (Edit: among others - the video is edited and they are cruising several of these streets.) At 1:50 they are passing where Bo and I are staying, on the left. This is Section I of Leilani Estates, where roads are not paved, there are no CC&Rs, no HOA fees, and people love their free and simple ways. It is a jungle paradise. The street is tropical enough, but these guys have no idea of the shocking tropical botanical beauty behind the gates. ;)

Kim, what's your situation there?

6 hours ago, Kim said:

Kim- Have they turned the power back on? Can you get to your place? Do you want to get to your place? Can you make the State buy your property so to cash out?

• Upvote 1

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Just saw the video this morning (it's 5:30 am, Thursday, as I begin typing this). As Kim already mentioned, the video is almost exclusively in Section 1 of Leilani Estates. There are two parts to LE; Section 1 and Section 2. Section 1 is the much smaller one, and it's right off Highway 130 and a couple of side streets into LE. Unpaved roads and no CC&R rules etc. Section 2 is the much larger part of LE and it begins about half a mile into LE as you're driving down Leilani Avenue. There used to be 13 side streets (cross streets) but now after the lava has covered most of the eastern part of LE, there are only nine left, and the three lower ones of those are in the "no-go zone". In the video they are making a left onto Malama Street at 5:13 into the video and they are still in Section 1 at that point. At 6:22 they are crossing over to Section 2 (paved road begins), and at 7:17 (just before the end), on the right hand side, you can see a group of large Clinostigma samoense, all of which I germinated about a dozen years ago. But not my place. My old garden is another two streets ahead, and they never get there in this video.

Kim and I attended the Community Meeting at Pahoa High School last night. Nothing of dramatic importance was announced (as far as I am concerned, and I was not surprised about this). HELCO has started the process of inspecting various streets in preparation for electricity to be turned back on, but they are not going to do so until the Mandatory Evacuation is lifted. Currently this is scheduled for the last day of October. Could change. The only street in the accessible part of LE that currently does NOT have power is Pomaikai Street ("my" street). All other "open streets", including all of Section 1 does have power and internet. Apart from talking with the HELCO representative, we also talked briefly with Philip Ong, expressing our appreciation for the work he is doing. The one thing that was made clear during the meeting is that there will be a priority to open up accress to Pohoiki, something that numerous individuals expressed a strong desire/need for.

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Thanks @Kim and @bgl. I knew part of Kahukai was unpaved, just figured the road resurfacing hadn't reached it though. Looked at street view on Google and was surprised to see that the upper corner of LE is likely the same then with no street view available. Seems kind of unusual that part of a development is sort of separate from the other. If they want to gate the community how would they exclude section 1 from the rest as far as accessibility and paying costs associated with the gate? Saw there was some discussion on fb Hawaii Tracker about gating the community to keep people out as opposed to having the checkpoint.

BTW we live in a residential HOA with mandated parks that require monthly fees and here it's hard to get away from any new development that isn't part of an HOA. We preferred to not be in one but ended up in one anyway. We also lived in a gated community and I can tell you 24/7 gates don't keep people out who want to get in, are also costly when they break down and need service calls. Our HOA at the time after a number of years ended up keeping the gates open during the day and just closed at night to minimize the wear and tear on the gates' mechanism and maintenance costs. Just passing that on if you guys end up voting for a gated community instead of a checkpoint in the coming months while all this gets settled out. I understand not wanting looky-loos coming in (and seeing LE as the #1 thing to do on one's vacation), but apart from maintenace there's liability to the HOA should someone get hurt and not sure if that would be the case if the County maintained access to the lava portion. Man, this whole thing with the lava coming up like it did in the middle of a subdivision sure is a messy one from a lot of perspectives.

Oh and just remembered and wanted to mention that our previous gated community was built as a gated community so at the gate visitors had the ability to "ring" our landlines in our homes and get buzzed in. Don't know how that works for guest access to un-connected places. There was also a keypad for entry that worked separately from our garage door/entry gate remotes. Every so often the HOA would have to "rekey" the guest passcode due to it being given out to people and realtors, etc. and becoming pretty wide spread.

----

Here's Harry and John Stallman's video of F8 last night after the Pahoa Community Meeting and update about tracking the glow.

5b914e8e1cc96_f8glow-1(2).jpg.66eca64669

Video: ( https://www.facebook.com/harry.durgin.1/videos/10156557139429242/ )

----

Here's the Big Island Video News' coverage of the USGS portion of the Pahoa Community Meeting. Still waiting for the remainder of the meeting's video to be posted.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Kim, what's your situation there?

1 hour ago, sur4z said:

Kim- Have they turned the power back on? Can you get to your place? Do you want to get to your place? Can you make the State buy your property so to cash out?

Gonzer and Peter,

Bo gave a good description of the current status here in Leilani. 

I had bought my plane tickets April 30th -- flight to Kona to participate in some outrigger canoe races, then on May 2nd bought a ticket for my daughter and grandchild to join me in Kona, then spend some time here in Leilani. May 3rd the eruption began. What timing! We were able to put my daughter's ticket on hold without penalty due to the eruption, so no problems there, and I did the canoe races in Kona (4th place in Wahine Double Hull, woot woot!)

Now here we are in Leilani and my house is in the mandatory evacuation zone, electricity turned off. I got the required placard to allow me to enter -- proof of property ownership required, and car registration, not too difficult. So I can visit my house during the day, but must leave at night. The first day here the air didn't smell normal, so I wasn't tempted to spend much time there, but I did make some very bad video of the garden, struggling to remember palm names on camera, haha. Maybe later I will post them.  Air quality is quite good now.

According to measurements, the SO2 levels are the lowest in years, but as one geologist noted, the human nose is far more sensitive and can pick up traces that the instruments cannot.

At the community meeting yesterday, I got the sense that Talmadge Magno, head of Civil Defense, very late in the Q&A, cracked the door slightly to hinting (maybe) that the mandatory evacuation could end sooner than the current extension to the end of October. He said the mayor could change the date if the safety issues are resolved. I came away with the sense that they have not figured out how to keep people off the dead channel if they open the road into Leilani. There is discussion about making Leilani a gated community, now that the roads are all dead ends, which could potentially be a solution.

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

The USGS portion of last night's Pahoa Community Meeting was already posted earlier in this thread so check a few posts back if you missed watching it. Big Island Video News has added two additional videos today:

Part 2 is the Q & A portion:

• Upvote 1

Update on F8 for Thurs., 9/6:

5b91f1fbab933_f8-1(31).jpg.a0c7fd150820b

And overflight video from Mick Kalber:

I can't figure out what is now in the field of view of the lavacam. Moves with in the frame so something flapping around I guess.

5b91f26e2d6ff_f8-1(32).jpg.027388fa23ebd

Bruce Omori shared his photos from the 6 a.m. overflight this morning: ( https://www.facebook.com/extremeexposurefineartgallery/photos/pcb.1946485012087469/1946464278756209/?type=3&theater&ifg=1 )

• Upvote 1

Much to early for real worry, but a "head's up" might be in order. The long range forecast (seven days) from UH shows Hurricane Olivia making a bull's eye visit to the Big Island. It has been changing daily from Puna to Hamakua to Maui, and now back to Hilo. It's been quite a year for the Big Island.

This is next Thursday's forecast.

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 7.16.46 PM.png

• Upvote 2

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Yes Hurricane Olivia is not good news for the people of Hawaii with that imagery of the eye on that forecast especially. I know a couple of days ago the Nautilus left Lo'ihi seamount and headed over towards Kona but now see it is off SouthPoint. Wonder if it will be heading further south into the ocean to try to stay out of the brunt of the winds and waves. Really sad that they had to interrrupt their mission and know they only have limited days left. While Lo'ihi has been very interesting to explore, due to the eruptions off the coast, I really had wanted to see them post video and take samples from the coastline with the fresh lava. As I understand from listening to their chatter during a few days, Lo'ihi was the primary site and if they had time going back to the Pohoiki/Kapoho coast would have been an added bonus if they could. With that forecast showing for Next Thursday, I'm thinking the mission will be pre-empted early.

• Upvote 1

Olivia is looking bad.  In the Atlantic, Florence, with a peculiar and unprecedented path already, is looking very likely to make landfall.  The trajectory keeps moving farther south.

• Upvote 1

Latest track of Olivia from UH shows it weakening at last minute and south of the NHC track. When monitoring Lane, UH was the first to show the abrupt right turn that took it north into Hawaii. They were three days ahead of the NHC in that forecast. They have been showing Olivia as coming directly at the Big Island for 3 days now - also much different than NHC. But NCH has been moving their cone steadily south closer to UH projections.

At any rate, here is the latest UH - south of the Big Island now and only as a Tropical Storm. Much better news. They are both in agreement about the weakening.

Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 10.28.49 AM.png

• Upvote 1

Kona, on The Big Island

Good.  Apart from actually getting around to seeing some of the natural vegetation, I'd hope for some gardens to be left for next visit.  

Actually, we in Florida have become pretty good at realizing how fast a lot of tropical garden plants regrow.  Our natives tend to be specialists at hurricane recovery.

• Upvote 1

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

2 hours ago, Kim said:

Wow Kim that's surprising and welcomed news for everyone there. Thanks for the link. My husband just asked me over dinner an hour ago while we were out what if anything new was going on there and I said don't think much has changed. I had heard there was going to be some "big news" announced at Wednesday's Community meeting and now I wonder if they were planning to announce this then but postponed for some reason. Hope people are educated about clean up of the glass tephra material. I see that as potentially the most serious issue right now.

Good news on the weakening of Olivia too. 

• Upvote 2

Debbie, I spent a few hours cleaning up my garden, as did Bo today. The tephra had zero impact for us, even though Bo was weed whacking (he wore a standard face shield). I was dragging dead fronds off to the compost heap and cutting off dead fronds - no impact at all. I think this hazard is greatly exaggerated, at least in our situations. I have never seen any Pele's hair on my property, 2 streets from F8.

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Kim I know some other areas reported getting quite alot so guess it all depended on the way the wind was blowing. From aerial footage some rooftops were covered in it and yards too. Even some communites outside of Leilani reported getting noticeable tephra. I think you guys got lucky in your location.

----

Just wanted to mentioned to Nautilus viewers that they left the west side of the BI and are now back above Lo'ihi seamount. Equipment is still stored on board waiting to be deployed. Didn't see when but last few dives have started at midnight HST (3am PDT). They saw a ghost shark carrying food recenlty and posted video of it on their twitter page (probably on their YT channel as well). https://twitter.com/EVNautilus  That sea pig was pretty unique as well. Some interesting photos and videos if you scroll back in time on their twitter site.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kim said:

Debbie, I spent a few hours cleaning up my garden, as did Bo today. The tephra had zero impact for us, even though Bo was weed whacking (he wore a standard face shield). I was dragging dead fronds off to the compost heap and cutting off dead fronds - no impact at all. I think this hazard is greatly exaggerated, at least in our situations. I have never seen any Pele's hair on my property, 2 streets from F8.

What great news! Things in Leilani will never be exactly the same, but the oft used phrase of "it could of been a lot worse" is certainly apropos for you, Bo, and others - but unfortunately not so for everyone. A friendly reminder about taking things for granted and what we have to be thankful for. I know I don't look at the ground on "my" volcano the same as I did before.

Hopefully the emotional roller coaster, while remembered, will slowly fade in importance as things grow back in and return to the familiar lushness.  As expected, you aren't wasting any time. Pele must be tired after all that work. So she earned a long rest we would all like to see her take.

• Upvote 1

Kona, on The Big Island

6 hours ago, Kim said:

Photos please Kim!

• Upvote 1

Great news.  Now to see about tourists.

11 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

What great news! Things in Leilani will never be exactly the same, but the oft used phrase of "it could of been a lot worse" is certainly apropos for you, Bo, and others - but unfortunately not so for everyone. A friendly reminder about taking things for granted and what we have to be thankful for. I know I don't look at the ground on "my" volcano the same as I did before.

Hopefully the emotional roller coaster, while remembered, will slowly fade in importance as things grow back in and return to the familiar lushness.  As expected, you aren't wasting any time. Pele must be tired after all that work. So she earned a long rest we would all like to see her take.

All you wrote is true! My response addressed only the subject of tephra and Pele's hair, as our properties were upwind most of the time. This is not to say the tephra did not hit our gardens; it did. But what is scattered all over the plants and what filled my gutters is a manageable inconvenience, not something that could send us to the hospital.

There is much to celebrate, and much to grieve. Luck was with us, that's for sure. At one point, looking at the massive river of lava gushing out of the fissure, I was certain my place would be inundated, that it was only a matter of time. In June, when I went to remove a few items, it felt I might be seeing my house and garden for the last time. Now with the very changed landscape, the garden will grow again, but Leilani will never have the same feeling about it. It's a new Leilani, and we are embracing that.

6 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Photos please Kim!

Yes! I will post a thread in the main forum, possibly this evening or tomorrow morning. Heading to a Hawaii Island Palm Society meeting today! :)

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Just catching up here and this is all the best of news! About time!  So happy for you, Kim and Bo, and the rest of the Leilani residents who are now able to go home and start the recovery process! Happy day indeed!  :D

At the same time, still very sad and concerned about all who were displaced...hope some sense of normalcy is returning to their lives, too. 

Best of luck getting things cleaned up. Hope this new version of Leilani is just as special as the old version seemed to be! 

And yes...Pete certainly has worked hard so should feel free to take a looooooooong break!  ;)

• Upvote 1

Hey, USGS set up a new lava cam looking into the throat of F8 vent. Saw the news by Dane DuPont on Hawaii Tracker. 

5b949bca55c66_f8usgscam-1.jpg.1341b82ad0

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=225266468342502&set=pcb.1086307928201691&type=3&theater&ifg=1 )

One of the images shown in above, this from the new inside F8 cam. 

5b949c62b2013_f8usgscam-1(1).thumb.jpg.2

Link below includes the former USGS live feed cam shots from the Summit etc. plus 4 "new" USGS cams (taken every 15 min.). Actually the only "new" cam seems to be the inside view of the cone. The other 3 (lava channel near F8, Pohoiki Rd, and Along the lava channel) look to me to the same temporary cameras set up a while back with "flow from Somewhere" listed in their descriptions (formerly known as LScam, LPcam, and LQcam). Still nice to see everything in one place and convenient for fb/Hawaii Tracker users. Also includes some tilt meter readings including Summer Camp near the rim.

https://hawaiitracker.com/webcams/

• Upvote 1

Glad it is over, wish i had something to go back to besides a craggy, desolate field... i dont think i will ever go back to Leilani again. Everything i knew, grew, and worked on is gone... I think i have learned my lesson and will invest somewhere else. Props to the section 1 folks for keeping their chins up through all of this, and hopefully Pahoa is no longer a ghost town once that museum opens. 

Now if we could just get Hurricane Olivia to push off somewhere else, that would be nice. We're just now getting back to normal after the ridiculous flooding that Lane brought. 

Edited by knell
  • Upvote 2

Thought I'd also repost Kris Burmeister's post and link to his photos when he got to go back into his no-go zone this morning. Kris' was not one of the lucky ones. I have followed his story (he has 3 sons) and despite losing everything volunteered a lot of his time to help his neighbors during this whole event. Really hope he and his kids will be okay in the end from all of this. 

5b94a15239c83_insideno-go-1.jpg.a055e17b

Link to his photos: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156002269113520&set=pcb.1086291244870026&type=3&theater&ifg=1

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, knell said:

Glad it is over, wish i had something to go back to besides a craggy, desolate field... i dont think i will ever go back to Leilani again. Everything i knew, grew, and worked on is gone... I think i have learned my lesson and will invest somewhere else. Props to the section 1 folks for keeping their chins up through all of this, and hopefully Pahoa is no longer a ghost town once that museum opens. 

Now if we could just get Hurricane Olivia to push off somewhere else, that would be nice. We're just now getting back to normal after the ridiculous flooding that Lane brought. 

I am truly sorry you and so many lost your homes and future life there from this eruption. I can understand not wanting to look back and just move forward. Some losses can just be soul crushing. For some a home is just a house for many others it's so much more. I have been amazed to hear some stories of people who lost everything in Kalapana then be taken out once again by this eruption. Don't know if I would want to risk a second or third time. Whether Kilauea is done with the LERZ for a while and how long is the big unknown. I think anyone who had to evacuate on Day 1 has to have vivid memories of that and the earthquakes prior to the eruption and that fast flowing lava river.  I wish you all the best and do appreciate hearing from you. Would be nice if Mother Nature gave the Big Island a break for a long while.

• Upvote 2