IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Concern for Leilani Estates as lava moves eastward underground

Morabeza

1 hour ago, Pando said:

When taking a straight line thru the eruption zones further SW it will reach areas where there has been significant seepage recently.

path.jpg

That's very interesting. From what I could tell, comparing maps where you show 130 intersecting with your "lava tube" line, it would place it at the Ala'ili Subdivision which I mentioned in a post above. I was looking for a HDOT map for the Big Island showing Mile Markers but no luck yet.

In the meantime I did find this Big Island Now article on HDOT preparing Highway 130 Alternate Route. This article mentions Mile Markers 14.4 and 14.6. Thinking these are suppose to be the Mile Markers previously mentioned as 15-16. Officials were going to be discussing the 130 closures at the community meeting tonight and from what I saw online they did seem like an eruption crossing the highway at this point was a real possibilty that they needed to plan for now.

• Upvote 1

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

1 hour ago, bgl said:

My current lot - true, but this is "only" two acres and I did very selective clearing on maybe half of it, getting rid of invasive weed trees like strawberry guava and cecropia. The clearing for the nursery was on a whole different scale, even though that was very selective as well. Was very particular where I decided to bring in the D9 and only opened up areas with lots of weed trees in order to save native trees like Metrosideros polymorpha (ohi'a) and a few impressive Tetraplasandra hawaiiensis (and I think they changed the genus name on that one). Forgot to mention that after this 35 ton D9 had been going all over the place, building these roads, AND after having a large dumptruck in there dropping numerous loads of cinder for the various roads, a large and very deep hole opened up right smack in the center of one of the roads. It wouldn't quite have swallowed up the D9 or the dumptruck, but it would certainly have been a major problem if one of them had fallen in! :o The area where this large hole opened up is at the extension of the "line" we're seeing. A bit west of breakout #11. There's clearly a connection with what's going on now, and what's been hidden under the surface for (probably) hundreds of years.

Another fascinating history of the area Bo. I know the area is referred to as swiss cheese sometimes. Been through the Thurston Lava Tube some time ago so imagine the rift area filled with a number of "tunnels". Do you have any idea if USGS or construction companies working in the area have tried using ground penetrating equipment or would there too much lava on top to make it not plausible?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WestCoastGal said:

That's very interesting. From what I could tell, comparing maps where you show 130 intersecting with your "lava tube" line, it would place it at the Ala'ili Subdivision which I mentioned in a post above. I was looking for a HDOT map for the Big Island showing Mile Markers but no luck yet.

In the meantime I did find this Big Island Now article on HDOT preparing Highway 130 Alternate Route. This article mentions Mile Markers 14.4 and 14.6. Thinking these are suppose to be the Mile Markers previously mentioned as 15-16. Officials were going to be discussing the 130 closures at the community meeting tonight and from what I saw online they did seem like an eruption crossing the highway at this point was a real possibilty that they needed to plan for now.

More closeup view of the path, assuming straight line of course (and this is pure speculation). Terrain exaggerated 3x on below image.

The 15 mile marker is at the intersection, this puts the 14.4-14.6 mile marker into the area that's marked in red. The orange line is a straight line.

path.jpg

Edited by Pando

Pando USGS recently posted photos from Monday's Hwy 130 cracks taken 2-1/2 hours apart. We might know soon if there's lava below given the look of the later photo.

They also posted a photo of steam coming out of cracks on Moku. Not sure but to me it looks like it could be taken on Moku north a short bit from Malama but looking towards Malama (for the utility poles to be on the left). Did a google street view "ride" trying to match up the side scenery and I think the photo was taken facing south and near a walled yard. One of the utility poles tops looks correct and there's red plant material on the left in the walled yard and there's a similar sign on the right down the road a bit (kind of covered by bushes back in Sept 2011). Reason I mention this is I don't recall any fissure listed on Moku and wondering if this is something new at the southern end. I don't think I would want to drive over that if I was trying to navigate through the neighborhood.

• Upvote 1

This entire event is fascinating to me. As someone who has lived through some natural disasters, especially Hurricane Andrew, being entertained by others misery is something I abhor.

On the other hand, when people are affected by such events, there are those of good character who step up. The human spirit of compassion is alive and well on this small corner of Hawaii.

We only become victims if we view ourselves as victims. My hope for humanity bodes well observing this thread.

Thank you.

• Upvote 4

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Bo, USGS put up their thermal map showing fissure 11/12. Did Karolyn just get lucky? The flow is in a different direction from what I can tell than the other massive lava release.

From USGS:

5af1a95034402_Fissure11_12Map-1.thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Debbie, the land changes somewhat in character in the area between #12 and #11, and in some parts it actually slopes slightly downhill in a southerly direction, towards the little access road to the cinder cone area that's visible on the map. Which of course is good news for LE and Karolyn in particular. Prior to #12 ands #11 the land features are more sloping downhill in a northerly direction. At the present time, and if this pattern continues, any outbreaks over the next several days will in all likelihood only affect the Kamehameha property and there are zero structures on those 300 acres. And that photo that's supposed to be on Moku Street - definitely skeptical of that. Could be a mistake. It refers to outbreak #9, which is on Kupono Street, one street to the east. In any case, from what little I can see in the photo it definitely does not look like any part of the southern part of Moku Street (between Leilani Avenue and Malama), which is where something would be most likely to happen. And right at the extreme southern stretch of Moku Street there's a very steep uphill, which would be easy to recognize, and that's where any potential outbreak would be likely to occur. But apparently has not.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Looks like it turned a bit to the north from the straight line path. I found the exact area on 130 where the cracks are based on the images, which matches exactly to the middle of the 14.4-14.6 mile marker I posted earlier..

cracks.jpg

overview.jpg

Edited by Pando

49 minutes ago, bgl said:

And that photo that's supposed to be on Moku Street - definitely skeptical of that. Could be a mistake. It refers to outbreak #9, which is on Kupono Street, one street to the east. In any case, from what little I can see in the photo it definitely does not look like any part of the southern part of Moku Street (between Leilani Avenue and Malama), which is where something would be most likely to happen. And right at the extreme southern stretch of Moku Street there's a very steep uphill, which would be easy to recognize, and that's where any potential outbreak would be likely to occur. But apparently has not.

It is on Moku street, location ID based on the markings on the pole, and the stone post behind it.

moku1.thumb.jpg.fa71703db443aef8508bfae7moku2.thumb.jpg.85df7d62bdd07c5020fa51d6

moku3.thumb.jpg.e61c855d445dab42472ad6f9

Edited by Pando

I feel bad for all involved, and I have never been there. But I cannot seem to seem to find the direction of flow. In other words, is there a Volcano (I know somewhere a crater dropped) and my only logic is that stuff flows downhill. My problem is I do not know the source location and which way is downhill. I'd swear I've read conflicting reports, is it flowing to the Northeast and originated from the SouthWest? This is what the heat map indicates.

If this is the case, does this mean that the tubes are "plugging" downstream and the latest fissures are where the backup is releasing?

Sorry if I missed the obvious, please clarify.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

27 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

But I cannot seem to seem to find the direction of flow. In other words, is there a Volcano (I know somewhere a crater dropped) and my only logic is that stuff flows downhill. My problem is I do not know the source location and which way is downhill.

Bill, I think the direction of the flow is UP... the whole area is sitting on top of a volcano, and there is magma underground throughout the entire area. Lava tubes are everywhere, like swiss cheese. Something happened deep underground that caused the Pu'u 'O'o magma level to drop, adding more pressure to other areas that's now causing it to ooze along the rift zone.

What you're seeing is the Hawaii island building new land toward south, while the northern islands are now dormant and eroding away - a process that's going on for many millions of years as the crust moves on top of a magma hot spot.  10 million years from now, the current Big Island will be reduced to an atoll at the surface ocean while new islands are being continuously formed toward the south. (I'm not a geologist, just trying to understand this like everyone else).

Hotspots_formation.jpg

hi.jpg

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 2

Thanks Pando, now I know exactly where that is. And yes, certainly on Moku Street, and the part of the street we're seeing is actually the steep part up towards Malama Street that I was referring to. The people who own the property with the rockwall bought quite a few unusual palms from me about seven years ago when the nursery was being liquidated, including a handful of fairly large Marojejya darianii. They are planted just inside of the rockwall, but not really visible.

And about the flow of the lava etc. (and Bill's question). Like Pando, I am no geologist, but looking back to Thursday when all this began happening and following the development up until now, the following scenario seems likely:

Monday April 30th, Pu'u O'o, where there eruption has been taking place since 1983 experienced a total collapse and all the lava (magma) in there dropped way down, and then continued downslope along the rift zone. Pu'u O'o is roughly at an elevation of 2,000 ft. Some 15-20 miles to the east, and right on top of the East Rift Zone is the entire subdivision of Leilani Estates. The magma made its way through the plumbing system all the way down to the lowest side street in Leilani Estates, this being Mohala Street (around 600 ft or so ASL), and for whatever reason, created a fissure right there, either in the street itself, or very close by. This happened around 4:00-4:30 pm Thursday afternoon May 3rd, local time. This outbreak apparently only lasted a couple of hours.

Presumably the event on Mohala Street created some sort of blockage in the volcano's plumbing system, forcing the magma to create a new fissure a bit higher up, in the direction back towards Pu'u O'o. Then that outbreak stopped, presumably again with the plumbing system being blocked at that point, and again forcing another outbreak just a bit higher up, elevation wise, and continuing in this straight line that we have been observing. With just a few exceptions, this has been the pattern since Thursday afternoon and my guess is that the underground passages under Leilani Estates are fairly narrow and are easily plugged up when an outbreak happens. Nobody knows what the lava tubes look like between the current outbreak and Pu'u O'o itself, so the nature of these outbreaks could continue following the same pattern for quite some time. OR NOT! :huh: In any case it will be interesting to see, and hopefully none of future outbreaks will create any extensive lava flows, because that would immediately change the entire equation.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

The steam coming up from the road is definitely on Moku looking to originate in the yards of the 2nd and 3rd homes north of Malama on the right side. The latest thermal image shows it faintly crossing the street (so heat from cracks at that point).

5af1c4f00d827_Moku-1.jpg.8dc1fce409db6e8

I was going to post the same photos as Pando did and as further proof the road signage matches closer to Malama.

Photo from USGS (notice signage on both sides of road):

5af1c54a0d53a_Moku-2.jpg.f22711ba358221a 5af1c55061517_Moku-5.jpg.221f69b8f1444645af1c5594c811_Moku-6.jpg.141ecca19f351b2 

and the speed sign visible from the opposite direction looking north now.

Hurts to see such nice homes and landscaping in the street view and then look at the thermal map. I would have loved to have lived in this neighborhood despite the Lava 1 rating and enjoyed it for as long as we could. The second home with the lava wall and landscaping is so much "me". Love the use of color. To me the thermal fissure looks more in the yard of the 3rd house and I'm thinking the land dips downward at this point. However the cracks are right at and near their driveway (opposite the mailbox). Maybe the second home will get lucky (and a new driveway area put in) but doesn't look good for the neighbors. USGS hasn't numbered this outbreak yet and I'm thinking it might merge with F9 on Kupono.

LOL. Bo just saw your post so guess you didn't need any further info. All I can say is you sold them some fabulous palms for their yard. Really hoping they have enough elevation to stave off the 'a'a. But as you said you never know what direction this will take. My husband was quite shocked to watch some of the video I was showing him last night of the speed of some of it. Geology, especially volcanology, has always fascinated me. It's destructive and creative at the same time. I was checking out some of the "new" real estate listings on the 2014 flow area in Pahoa (loved the positive, creative descriptions – gave me a chuckle too) and as we saw when in HVNP the ferns have already taken root and the land is slowly being transformed.

• Upvote 1

What's interesting is that this trail of islands is going all the way back to Kamchatka. This trail is roughly 70-80 million years old, and so if the process continues at this pace, 100 million years from now the current islands are being recycled back into the mantle via a crust subduction zone.

trail.jpg

Edited by Pando

Fascinating indeed, both the bigger picture and our short term outlook, and I am totally with Pando on this one. We, the Hawaiian Islands, are travelling towards Japan at a pace of around 4 inches a year, and I believe that means we will arrive in Japan in about 70 million years from now! :D Then again, the islands may have completed eroded back into the ocean at that point. Oh well, I have more immediate concerns! :D

And Debbie, the lady who owned that property behind the rockwall ended up buying lots of unusual palms, and I walked that property for several hours at her request, pointing out to her, and her boyfriend the exact location where they could plant the 30 palms or so that they had bought from me. A couple of years prior to that, this one acre parcel, AND another one acre parcel immediately north of it (i.e. also along Moku Street) as well as the two one acre parcels directly behind them (i.e. off Kupono Street) were all for sale, by the same owner. I believe the asking price was $55,000 for all four parcels. A Palm Society member from Point Loma in San Diego had moved to Hilo and he and I walked the four properties, beginning on the Moku side, and ending up, about an hour later, on the Kupono side. He decided to buy in Hilo instead (but is now back in Point Loma). Some time after this, Jerry Andersen and I walked it, and Jerry was thinking of making an offer (not sure if he did). Point being - those four acres had some of the most incredible topographical features I had ever seen in LE. Lots of exciting ups and downs with little 15-25 ft deep ravines every now and then, and all of this in the midst of amazingly lush rainforest with tall native trees. Paradise on earth. :) When a developer came in and bought all four acres, and then subdivided into four parcels and had four homes built it felt like a crime against nature and what SHOULD have been done in order to preserve as much as possible of the natural beauty. With the outbreak on Kupono, who knows what it looks like now, though.:(

Here's the positive attitude I was referring to and look at the little homes popping up on the land now. 

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Pahoa_HI_96778_M77297-39916#photo0

"Ocean views & road access to this prime piece of lava in one of Puna's most eclectic, off-grid subdivisions.Once upon a time this land was 5 -10 minutes to the Kalapana Canoe Club, a close community which included Walters store, Queens bath, Kings bath, and Kaimu along with excellent surf. Legends say the land will become beautiful again."

Here's another nearly listing in the same area:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Nani-St_Pahoa_HI_96778_M73137-16080#photo0

"Welcome to Nani Street and the lava lands of Kalapana Vacation Lots... so close to the ocean. Buy this as a land bank for future investment or build a tiny home now. Enjoy the warm temperatures and the typically breezy weather at an affordable price....." Check out photos 2 and 5 for the landscaped palm oasis! Wish we had better photos of that area.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Pahoa_HI_96778_M89128-53678#photo0

Definitely seeing trees planted already and a roadway cleared in these photos. The aloha spirit in action.

or how about this lot with larger house on it, new construction, satellite dish, for under $9K. Wonder if the house comes with it. https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Pahoa_HI_96778_M73560-15890#photo2

This is probably too rustic for us but we could see buying something in the Pahoa area maybe down the road. We actually said at one time we'd retire in Australia but our mothers are still living and the distance would be too much. At our point in life and having gone through remodeling and relandscaping our lot, don't think we'd buy a vacant lot that needed so much work, but that still sounded like a great deal for those 4 lots Bo mentioned in the Moku area. 

• Upvote 2

Cindy and Kim, since we were discussing lava and insurance, I saw this last night in the Honolulu Star-Advertiser before heading to bed. See the section under 6:30 pm. Sounds like the Governor Ige thinks people will be covered if they have homeowner insurance with fire coverage, but I'm thinking he might be surprised at the answer based on everything I've seen. "He advised homeowners to “ask (their insurance company) if you have coverage for fire, don’t ask if you have coverage for lava … As long as you have coverage for fire, we believe you are covered.”"

• Upvote 1

We have to have wind storm coverage as an extra here for hurricanes

Then flood is a separate issue

Don't get me started about insurance companies

Licensed Scam artists

Exist to collect premiums, not to pay claims

There is a whole cottage industry here just to hold insurance companies to their contractual obligations

Edited by Moose
  • Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Bo I think I see one of those Marojejya darianii in this screen capture? Really hope these Madagascar palms manage to live through this. This photo was from 2011 so curious how tall would they be now growing in Hawaii? The photo on Palmpedia of one with Bill Langer is massive.

5af1d3260edcb_Mokulot-1.jpg.da347d8bfb01

• Upvote 2

Good find, Debbie! :) The handful of Marojejyas are all planted on the right hand side of the open grassy area, and most of them hidden by the ohi'a trees. They would easily have doubled in size in the seven years since the photo was taken. And being that the photo was taken in 2011 and the palms are visible, it would have to have been taken after (roughly) May 2011. I believe we finished the liquidation of the nursery on April 30th, 2011. Ironically, Kamehameha Schools, ordered us to not only remove the structures (shadehouse, shed, water catchment tank), which was totally understandable, but also about 100 palms that I had planted there, because they were not "native". And at the same time of course totally ignoring the glaringly obvious fact that there were already tens of thousands of very invasive strawberry guava trees! :D:o There were five large Bismarckias in the ground and it really irked me that we had to trash them. No way to remove them successfully on short notice. But, I had also planted about 70 Clinostigma samoense, and simply donated them to a guy in LE who does backhoe work. He dug them up and sold them to people all over Leilani Estates. There are quite a few on the corner property on Malama & Alapai (NE corner), and elsewhere in the subdivision. I had also planted a dozen, or so, Dypsis decipiens deeper into the nursery area and I never revealed that when we vacated the land. :D Sadly, they are now in the path of the latest outbreaks. :( I was hoping they would remain untouched and then 20-30 years from now someone would make their way in there and find 40-50 ft tall Dypsis decipiens! :rolleyes:

• Upvote 3

Guys, I know many of you reading this have watched one or more of Mick Kalber's Tropical Visions Videos (Paradise Helicopters) especially if you saw his recent two flyovers of Leilani Estates (they were linked to here on the thread). Well to my surprise checking news on Leilani this morning I saw a story on Hawaii News Now about a photographer who might be losing his house. Yes, the photographer is Mick Kalber. He and his wife are residents in Leilani Estates. Small world how we become connected. Here's the story with video of him during the interview. Sending aloha his and his wife's way and wishing him safe flying to continue what he does best. 

BTW he's website store is currently closed but I wrote him asking him to let me know when they do reopen. Plan to order one of those smiley face t-shirts from him and maybe others here will want to do so as well. The smiley face t-shirts are featured part way down on the home page.

Mick Kalber on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/user17788687

• Upvote 2

Played around positioning the little street guy and was able to get this view to see more of Bo's nursery Marojejyas. Too bad there's only this one dated street view available and nothing later. Would have been nice to see them grow up some. I even tried using Apple Maps and their 3D rotated views (no street however) but not high enough resolution from above to really id anything. Landscaping can be alot like construction building in that you help install things that will last for decades and give a lot of pleasure to people. 

5af1f75f412e1_Mokulot2-1.jpg.25c01defd68

When I posted the latest USGS thermal map this morning I was focused on the area down by Malama and didn't notice how much further F2 has progressed in it's northward push. Now further down Hookupu and covering a good part of the road at the north end. Not a lot of bright white imagining yesterday.

• Upvote 2

Wow Debbie! :) That's pretty good. And yes, the largest Marojejya is visible, sort of right in the center of the photo and at the upper part of the grassy area. The smaller palms beyond it are the smaller Marojejyas.:)

:D that front and center one was kind of hard to see and you got me curious! Nice she had some overhead canopy for the new stuff that was planted. Something we didn't have in our yard when we started. 

Do you remember the lot being sloped as much as that? Might be an camera view tilt manipulation. If a surface crack is going to form I guess it can form anywhere even on a higher sloped area and the only benefit would be gravity possibly influencing how lava flow might go but don't think it would affect spattering and the spread from it. Been bummed looking at the USGS image with the steam right at their driveway.

• Upvote 1

It is actually quite steep and what you see in the photo definitely reflects the way it looks, or I should say "looked".:(

Latest from Ikaika's feed - about 1/2 hour ago.

"Massive" "Huge" cracks being formed in Kilohana. He described Kilohana as small subdivision west of Leilani, and between Ala'ili St. and "the Steam Vents." I can't find Kilohana labeled anywhere, but from what I can tell from his description, that would put it close to 130 and probably on that same established fissure line. He said they are widening and the system is pressurizing around there - so he predicts another eruption in that area.

If this happened, it would definitely mess with the road (already closed) and both electricity and water. Probably no impact to Leilani, assuming there would be no extensive lava flow, but not good for all those on the "other side" if cut off.

• Upvote 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

No that's not good news although not totally unexpected given the past few days' concern over cracking on 130. The Ala'ili area was mentioned earlier over the weekend as a concern.

BTW here's the video from Big Island Video News (civil defense) for this morning. Gives you a look around some of the streets within Leilani and a feel for the 'a'a in the roadways and beyond. Also interesting for those of us not use to seeing people suited up in protective gear and headwear and carrying sensors, what it looks like in this neighborhood. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Mo72dHTek

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dypsisdean said:

Latest from Ikaika's feed - about 1/2 hour ago.

"Massive" "Huge" cracks being formed in Kilohana. He described Kilohana as small subdivision west of Leilani, and between Ala'ili St. and "the Steam Vents." I can't find Kilohana labeled anywhere, but from what I can tell from his description, that would put it close to 130 and probably on that same established fissure line. He said they are widening and the system is pressurizing around there - so he predicts another eruption in that area.

If this happened, it would definitely mess with the road (already closed) and both electricity and water. Probably no impact to Leilani, assuming there would be no extensive lava flow, but not good for all those on the "other side" if cut off.

I think this is the small subdivision (map view from Apple Maps). Looks like a small grouping of homes off 130 near the Ala'ili subdivision and if you notice the purple icon for lodging, it's called Pele's Breath, they're a B&B. On google maps the show this plus Steam Vent Inn at that location. That larger parcel of land with brown ground (looks kind of arrow head in shape) also appears to line up and match Pando's map layout for a lava tube being there.

5af21ca18d30e_Hwy130community-1.thumb.jp

It does look from this non-satellite map that they at least have access out to Kamaili Road and out to the coast in the meantime. Of course if their area develops cracks within the community that's a different issue.

5af21d83b1ba2_Hwy130communityroads-1.thu

• Upvote 1

Here's something else I found on Governor Ige and homeowners' insurance with fire coverage: "Gov. David Ige also told CNN that homeowners in the lava's spectacular path could still be covered by their insurance if their property bursts into flames before the magma consumes it.

"On the insurance front, we do know that if they have homeowners insurance with fire coverage, typically, they will get some return. When the lava approaches a home, the home will burst into flames before it is actually consumed by the lava. And so, as long as they have the typical homeowners insurance with fire protection, they will get some return," he said. "You know, we will continue to monitor that and make sure that the residents who are paying for insurance will get their coverage."" Hope that holds true for those that lost their homes.

In another place I saw he was requesting a State of Emergency Declaration from the Federal Government to assist affected residents.

• Upvote 1

I just hope that when mother nature is done that everyone is able to return back to their homes safe and sound.

A few closeup views of that property with the Marojejyas. I saw this property in a video on Sunday when they covered the eruption, but I don't remember where. I'll try to find it.

maro.jpg

maro2.jpg

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 1

Update from Ikaika 1 hour ago - "Kaupili st eruption is going to happen soon it looks like"

He says as he is walking the area "tons" of gases and steam acting up, and looks like another eruption is beginning to happen in this area. Of course, this is only conjecture on his part - but something is again happening in a part of the fissure line that I believe went quiet.

https://www.facebook.com/ikaika.marzo/videos/1795830300469498/

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 12.27.44 PM.png

• Upvote 1

Kona, on The Big Island

Here's two videos from Saturday 5/6 when some residents were filming from inside the development. I hadn't seen either of these before.

I've been at Vandenberg AFB for an airshow when the jets take off and it really does sound similar. Can't believe even with telephoto lens LavaMan got close enough to this blowtorch let alone walk so near the crack in the road to film it. 

https://www.newsflare.com/video/202918/conflict-disaster/lava-and-steam-spew-from-side-of-cracked-road-in-hawaii#

Can't imagine looking over our backyard fence and seeing something like this (Keith Brock video). Wonder how Keith's house is doing.

http://www.euronews.com/2018/05/08/hawaii-resident-goes-home-to-find-spewing-lava1

This was a USGS video from 5/4 starts off with some kind of sensors going off, then steam from the street blanketing the street view and then as it starts to clear the fissure erupting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk8le3TCKUg

• Upvote 1

Thanks Dypsisdean for posting that. Did you notice Ikaika was coughing and clearing his throat a few times during that broadcast? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, WestCoastGal said:

Thanks Dypsisdean for posting that. Did you notice Ikaika was coughing and clearing his throat a few times during that broadcast? 

No, but did notice the extensive damage to foliage far away from the original fissure when he panned around.

• Upvote 1

Kona, on The Big Island

5 hours ago, Moose said:

We have to have wind storm coverage as an extra here for hurricanes

Then flood is a separate issue

Don't get me started about insurance companies

Licensed Scam artists

Exist to collect premiums, not to pay claim

There is a whole cottage industry here just to hold insurance companies to their contractual obligations

Insurance companies benefit from the ability to interpret vague concepts like "fire". For example, most people have fire insurance. But a fire can be more complicated than that. I had a disaster cleaning business in the Washington DC area for 13 years. One of our customers, a well-to-do lawyer with a monster house, decided to torch his house and adjacent art studio and collect big bucks. Insurance co. found out and he got nada. Self-imposed arson isn't covered. So, how will insurance cos. in HI interpret fires triggered by lava flows? Like an electrical fire? Or like an Act of God? Because no one but God/Pele can control a volcano and insurance cos. are not fond of Acts of God. And everyone who lives on and benefits from cheaper real estate on the flanks of a volcano knew and should have known they'd taken up residence on a ticking time bomb. Just like people who build their McMansions on the beaches of FL should know an Andrew, Charley or Irma may be only a season away. Sooner or later you roll snake eyes. What may work in the favor of residents who lose their homes to a lava flow is that nearly everyone despises insurance cos. I read earlier today that for the sake of positive PR the cos. may opt to pay fire claims for those homeowners, esp. if there isn't too many of them.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

18 minutes ago, Dypsisdean said:

No, but did notice the extensive damage to foliage far away from the original fissure when he panned around.

Yes I did. A bit like California drought landscaping with forest fire and earthquake added, with the exception of the 'a'a lava mounds and steam and toxic gases. I heard a resident on a video interview who was signing up for a placard for her car if she decides to go back in say that she found it depressing seeing everything so brown. She said she really didn't need anything from her house and given the gases and scenery now and difficulty getting around didn't think she would go back at this point.

Speaking of brown softscape, USGS just posted 2 new images from today. First image of crack on Ala'ili Road (off 130) and second one at an inactive F10 in Leilani. One crack on 130 wided another 4cm since 24 hours ago. The F10 photo comment was interesting as they said they could see "incandescence" in the fissure 1m down. Lit gases I assume? I know in their advisory alerts they keep saying even with things having quieted down that pressure continues to build, earthquakes still being observed, and likely more activity at any time in any of the fissures really.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pando said:

A few closeup views of that property with the Marojejyas. I saw this property in a video on Sunday when they covered the eruption, but I don't remember where. I'll try to find it.

Here is the video of the property. Starts at 0:45

Before:

before2.thumb.jpg.5d3d31153ad0fd0d64bfa5

After:

after3.thumb.jpg.d18862d83d366ac5534de5a

New eruption at Leilani and Kahukai. Lower end of subdivision - looks like any lave will flow into Lanipuna subdivision. I'll post video when live feed is done.

"raging/pumping - one house already burned"

• Upvote 1

Kona, on The Big Island