IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Concern for Leilani Estates as lava moves eastward underground

Morabeza

Not a good direction for the homeowners. 

However I'm not seeing this mentioned (yet) in the USGS updates which said the fissure activity had ceased after a few hours but it is nighttime/early morning over there now.

KHON live stream for news: http://www.khon2.com/live-stream  Morning news coverage has just started. Will run live through the 10pm news. They just showed some footage from 1am. They are saying some homeowners have refused to leave, Ikaika Marzo is one of the residents in Leilani that is staying put for now. He says he will continue with his facebook posts (https://www.facebook.com/ikaika.marzo -- not public apparently however) to keep people apprised of the situation until he can't stay any longer. KHON did just mention the second street, Makamae Street, but have moved on to other stories. 

Here's an interview they did with him from last night's 10pm news: http://www.khon2.com/news/local-news/resident-resolves-to-stay-protect-community-for-as-long-as-possible-during-eruption/1159000736

Live update coming at top of the hour.

• Upvote 1

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Wish you all well, hope this does not spread too much so you can get back in.

• Upvote 1

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

This is heartbreaking. Praying for Jerry & Cindy Andersen, Bo and Kim in Leilani Estates.

• Upvote 1

Aloha, JungleGina

Zone 9b, Sunny Sarasota, Florida

5 hours ago, Morabeza said:

New on-the-ground footage (with Bo Göran in foreground?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-7psT1Mv-I

Correct, that's me in front of the camera (blue t-shirt)! :D Beginning at about 1:30 into the video. More in just a moment.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Yeah, this was quite an experience. I heard about the eruption shortly after it had begun, and drove down Leilani Avenue to the "last" cross street, Kaupili Street. That's about 7-8 cross streets downhill from my street, Pomaikai. Or just over a mile. At that time, around 4:30 pm, give or take, Leilani Avenue was blocked off at the Kaupili intersection but I was able to make a left onto Kaupili. Lots of cars parked along the roadway. This is the street where Matt Patricelli has a house & garden. The eruption was one street over, on Mohala Street, a distance of about 900 ft and it was right behind this property (which is on Kaupili). The noise was absolutely deafening, and all the debris that can be seen in the air in the photo - well, those are all ROCKS being ejected, up to a height of 150 ft or so. At any given time I'm estimating there must have been hundreds and hundreds of rocks being thrown out of the vent. Absolutely incredible, and yes, this was indeed exciting! :o And amazing and incredible and so much more. After 20 minutes or so I drove back home, and shortly thereafter a partial evacuation for Leilani Estates was ordered, and fairly soon after that, a mandatory evacuation for the entire subdivision. I got on the phone with United right away and managed to get on the 9 pm flight last night to Los Angeles, and I'm with Kim in San Diego now, but will certainly monitor the situation from here. I should add that this eruption is right around the 600 ft elevation. My property and Kim's property is somewhat higher up (around 800 ft), meaning there is zero likelihood of any lavaflow from this particular site reaching our properties. My old palm garden is even further away and slightly higher up, so also out of harm's way - for now anyway.  :)

DSC_0024.JPG

• Upvote 6

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

23 minutes ago, bgl said:

Yeah, this was quite an experience. I heard about the eruption shortly after it had begun, and drove down Leilani Avenue to the "last" cross street, Kaupili Street. That's about 7-8 cross streets downhill from my street, Pomaikai. Or just over a mile. At that time, around 4:30 pm, give or take, Leilani Avenue was blocked off at the Kaupili intersection but I was able to make a left onto Kaupili. Lots of cars parked along the roadway. This is the street where Matt Patricelli has a house & garden. The eruption was one street over, on Mohala Street, a distance of about 900 ft and it was right behind this property (which is on Kaupili). The noise was absolutely deafening, and all the debris that can be seen in the air in the photo - well, those are all ROCKS being ejected, up to a height of 150 ft or so. At any given time I'm estimating there must have been hundreds and hundreds of rocks being thrown out of the vent. Absolutely incredible, and yes, this was indeed exciting! :o And amazing and incredible and so much more. After 20 minutes or so I drove back home, and shortly thereafter a partial evacuation for Leilani Estates was ordered, and fairly soon after that, a mandatory evacuation for the entire subdivision. I got on the phone with United right away and managed to get on the 9 pm flight last night to Los Angeles, and I'm with Kim in San Diego now, but will certainly monitor the situation from here. I should add that this eruption is right around the 600 ft elevation. My property and Kim's property is somewhat higher up (around 800 ft), meaning there is zero likelihood of any lavaflow from this particular site reaching our properties. My old palm garden is even further away and slightly higher up, so also out of harm's way - for now anyway.  :)

DSC_0024.JPG

I just saw you on the news taking this photo! I really hope everything turns out ok

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

I'm about 13 miles northwest of the eruptive activity. I settled in an old sugar cane growing area. Insurance companies rate it as Lava Zone 3, meaning I don't pay much extra for insurance. According to my USGS Geologic map of Hawaii Island, it's been 5,000 to 10,000 years since there were any lava flows in my area, so I am not too concerned for myself, but very concerned for my many palm colleagues in the Pahoa-Leilani area. I felt the 4.6 earthquake yesterday at 10:30 am. I was in my recliner watching TV. It was mild enough that I didn't even get up. It was over in 3-5 seconds. It was felt in Hilo. I haven't felt any other earthquakes . (So far!)

As for the future, some commentators are alarmed by the parallel with the 1955 eruptive activity in the east rift zone, which lasted for 3 months and ultimately involved 4,000 acres. I hope this one will not be like that.

• Upvote 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

The 11:37 earthquake a while ago has been rated as a 5.7 magnitude. Knocked over a chest of drawers in my bedroom. A fourth fissure has opened in Leilani.

• Upvote 1

Mike Merritt

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

We could feel that last one Mike mentioned here in Kona - about 90 miles away I think.

But we just felt a stronger longer one several minutes ago. I'm guessing that one was even stronger and also near all the other recent activity. Apparently Pele is not done with us yet.

• Upvote 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Dean, that was a 6.0 on Kilauea's south flank.  Lots of moving and shaking, literally.  You might have to revive your old signature that read "(and earthquakes)."

• Upvote 1

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

For the majority of us that do not live in an area of such activity it may be awesome striking to see, but to those of you that do live there or in the area, I wish you and your the best and hope it is over without the cost of immense damage or personal loss. 

Mark

• Upvote 3

That 6.9 really shook the forest up here in Gloomwood. It was as if the entire landscape were a raft on the ocean.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Justin said:

Dean, that was a 6.0 on Kilauea's south flank.  Lots of moving and shaking, literally.  You might have to revive your old signature that read "(and earthquakes)."

That's good for you guys - because if that was near Leilani then something bigger (activity-wise) was on the way. I just heard that one was felt on Oahu.

I don't remember taking the "(and earthquakes)" off my signature - but it would certainly be appropriate to put it back on. Good Luck.

• Upvote 3

Kona, on The Big Island

Just checking in and looking at google maps of the area. They actually put up a alert on the map when I was viewing it announcing the 5.7 earthquake which surprised me that they would do that. 

KHON is reporting that 2 homes have been destoyed, and now 5 fissures are in Leilani Estates (Makamae, Kaupili, Mohala, Kahukai, and Leilani Streets). Here's the latest report they've posted: http://www.khon2.com/news/local-news/agencies-prepare-for-possible-eruption-from-kilauea-volcano/1155831630  While on google maps I did a street view down Kaupili and some beautifully landscaped properties/homes were viewable from the road (there's one midway down the street 13 3366 that I'm in awe of--hope it gets spared). Just a bit from that lot I can see where Ikaika Marzo who was interviewed is located so I know the fissure is very nearby. Early this morning KHON had a former official on (think Civil Defense) who said what was concerning was the high levels of sulfur dioxide near the fissures, some of the roads were being blocked by the fissures and he was concerned about people sticking around and then not being able to get out due to road closures. I thought of Mr. Marzo who said he was going to stay as long as he could.

Bo, glad you made it out last night and hope you have your website backed up in the cloud. So many people have put such loving care into their gardens it's just sad to see them being reclaimed in this way.

Now they are saying there was a 6.9 quake. 

• Upvote 1

Justin/Jacob/Debbie - not sure if what is being reported is accurate. Here is a site reporting the 6.9 in Leilani right at the time I felt the "big" one here.

That could indicate something more worrisome is going on underneath - if correct. That is a strong quake for Hawaii

IMG_3878.png

• Upvote 1

Kona, on The Big Island

After the 5.7 earthquake, I decided I wanted to work outside for a while. I planted a palm and was on my Kubota tractor mowing grass when the big one hit at around 12:40. I had to stop the motor and hang on to the frame. The CNN new site is calling it a 6.9. I hope Madame Pele is happy now and will relax for a few more years.

Mike Merritt

I am sure there are many of us appreciating the first hand, real news stories and hoping for the best for all of Hawaii.

I am glad to hear that Bo and Kim are far away and trust that everyone told to evacuate will do so.

Cindy Adair

Here it is confirmed on USGS a 6.9 16km SW of Leilani

Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 2.13.32 PM.png

• Upvote 2

Kona, on The Big Island

Yeah, that 6.9 was originally reported as a 6.0.  An earthquake that big, that close to home, makes me worry about broken water and gas pipes, stuff falling off walls, etc.  Part of me hopes that all these earthquakes lead to a massive eruption - preferably in the National Park or at Pu'u O'o, and that Kilauea decides to take a break for the next 5-10 years.  35 years has been a good run, time to hang it up for a bit, Madame Pele. ;-)

• Upvote 3

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

The ash smell is fairly strong with a hazy yet probably not hazardous sky, reminding me of California wildfires though with added sulphur smell. No damage in my little cottage but I wonder if older buildings on the island are okay.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Justin said:

Yeah, that 6.9 was originally reported as a 6.0.  An earthquake that big, that close to home, makes me worry about broken water and gas pipes, stuff falling off walls, etc.  Part of me hopes that all these earthquakes lead to a massive eruption - preferably in the National Park or at Pu'u O'o, and that Kilauea decides to take a break for the next 5-10 years.  35 years has been a good run, time to hang it up for a bit, Madame Pele. ;-)

The big one here in 2006 was 13 miles from my house, much deeper at 26 miles deep, and a 6.7

The legs on my heavy wood stove broke and it ended up about 4 ft. from where it started, with ash all over the floor. Good thing a fire wasn't burning. Some nice vintage ceramics were knocked off of shelves, and there were multiple/many crack in the dry wall. But my house is "up in the air" and probably moved more than most. I hope you make out better.

Just this second was another one. Felt less than the others but probably 5+ for me to feel it here. Unless it is "my" volcano starting to act up too.

• Upvote 1

Kona, on The Big Island

Anyone hear from Jerry and Cindy Andersen?

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

KHON said officials have closed Hawaii Volcanoes National Park (not surprised). Morabeza hope you are monitoring the air quality where you are at. Wunderground is showing mild winds from the east, same for Pahoa/Leilani Estates Station (KHIPAHOA19, looks like around Malama St. near 130 @ 912 ft.)

Regarding the 6.9 quake, "According to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, the earthquake generated small sea-level changes in Hilo (20 cm amplitude), Kapoho (40 cm amplitude), and Honuapo (15 cm amplitude). At all locations the fluctuations have diminished."

I have noticed in most recent photos that the smoke arising from the Kilauea summit crater has turned a very dark gray as it's coming out. Not sure what the significance of that is. 

Also read that the fissure lava is like 2 meters high. Looking at the new video in Leilani Estates on KHON's site submitted by Ikaika Marzo, who apparently is still there, that looks much higher to me. Also pretty angry looking with quite a bit of lava being ejected upwards. Check out View of Vent at Leilani (roadway video) : http://www.khon2.com/news/local-news/agencies-prepare-for-possible-eruption-from-kilauea-volcano/1155831630 Last night they said the fissures/lava had quieted down about an hour and a half after they opened but this looks very active.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Gtlevine said:

Anyone hear from Jerry and Cindy Andersen?

They loaded up what they could last night and went up to their second home up the coast - should be plenty safe there.

• Upvote 1

Kona, on The Big Island

I keep seeing "Lanipuna Gardens" mentioned as being evacuated but don't see it on google maps. Where is this located?

• Upvote 1

Lanipuna Gardens is a small subdivision immediately east of Leilani Estates. Very close to the intersection of Leilani Avenue and the Pahoa-Pohoiki Road. Generally not shown by name on most maps.

• Upvote 1

I can’t believe all this! I was just out there a couple weeks ago with my sister-in-law looking at homes for she and my brother...literally missed the flooding on Kaua‘i by one day, and now this!  There was  ‘no accessible lava’ at that point...my, what a difference a little time can make! Paradise is surely taking a beating lately! 

Thoughts and prayers are with all of you out there. Certainly hope your homes and gardens will be spared in the end. Even for those who embrace Madame Pele just doing her thing, I cannot imagine how unnerving it must be to feel the ground rocking and rolling, knowing there’s lava flowing below somewhere. Be safe and best of luck to all....

• Upvote 1

This is the my best guess where all the current fissures are from all the articles.

Untitled-1.jpg

• Upvote 2

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

17 hours ago, Morabeza said:

New on-the-ground footage (with Bo Göran in foreground?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-7psT1Mv-I

13 hours ago, WestCoastGal said:

Footage dated from Thursday early evening before Bo was evacuated. Kim was saying he was photographing the flying lava before everyone was sent out of the area. Noticed the man being interviewed on camera as one of the homeowners in the news articles. I bet Bo hated to leave given how much he loves the land there and the volcanism, and it is so fascinating to watch although the spewing rock and toxic fumes make that unsafe.

Yes , that clearly was Bo in the foreground

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

The 6.9 earthquake was very strong here in Hilo today. I've felt a lot of earthquakes from growing up in Southern California, but I've never felt one like this. Our 2 story (76 year old) house was swaying and shaking like crazy. We ran outside and our cars were shaking violently in our driveway. Quite the adrenaline rush and I can't imagine what it must have felt like in Leilani Estates area. 

Happy to hear all of the Palm people are safely evacuated out and hoping that these fissures don't damage too much down there. 

• Upvote 1

Perhaps its a good thing that pressure is being released in many separate areas. The dome inside the crater dropped so much. The material had to go somewhere.

I like Bo's attitude. He does not perceive this as doom and gloom, but an event in life. We like to believe we have some control in our lives. Truth is we are just passengers on a ride on a  very thin layer of crust.

• Upvote 3

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

This mornings KHON's website news (from their 6pm coverage last night) goes into the reasons behind the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park's closing of the park yesterday. Trees fell across some trials and cracks had opened up near the Jaggar Museum which they don't normally see. Halemaumau's lava lake dropped suddenly yesterday.

They also report several additional eruptive fissures in Leilani Estates have opened since yesterday. No significant flows and mainly keeping to a few tens of yards from the vent. Not all are active. The 6th fissure appeared on the eastern border of Leilani Estates. 

The leading video (Sixth Fissure reported in Leilani...) about 5 minutes in has interviews with several Leilani Estates residents. Also covered in the lengthy video report is footage from the Park, more from Ikaika Marzo who has remained in Leilani Estates and posting updates. Coverage of the earthquakes happening in the area including around the town of Volcano, and tsumani information in general for the Islands from the Pacific Tsumani Warning Center's Director. http://www.khon2.com/news/local-news/agencies-prepare-for-possible-eruption-from-kilauea-volcano/1155831630

KHON has a nice video segment posted on Demian Barrios who is another resident staying behind to film and report on the activity (Lava 'hunters' risk lives...). After 20 years of doing this kind of thing he says this go around is different. He talks about the gas near the fissures and being there during the 6.9 yesterday. They show some of his footage and include a voice interview with him. Worth a watch/read: http://www.khon2.com/news/local-news/lava-hunters-risk-lives-to-capture-historic-eruption-on-camera/1161142992

I imagine having these fissures errupt in your neighborhood is a bit like having sinkholes appear, which I've seen reported just recently in an Ocala Florida neighborhood. 

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately more reports of fissures. As of 10:30am HST they've updated that to 8. KHON: "Active volcanic vents are located on Makamae, Kaupili, Mohala, Kahukai Streets and Pohoiki Road. Two new vents have opened near Makamae and Leilani, and on Kahukai Street. There is no activity at Puna Geothermal Venture at this time."

Since they mentioned Puna Geothermal, it looks downslope from Leilani Estates. Is that the presumed path flow then of the underground lava? I haven't listened to any of the community meetings with officials like I did back in 2014 but found them very informative and wonder if Puna Geothermal has been brought up other than shutting down power from it.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, WestCoastGal said:

There is no activity at Puna Geothermal Venture at this time."

Since they mentioned Puna Geothermal, it looks downslope from Leilani Estates. Is that the presumed path flow then of the underground lava? I haven't listened to any of the community meetings with officials like I did back in 2014 but found them very informative and wonder if Puna Geothermal has been brought up other than shutting down power from it.

"Shooting from the hip." I interpreted the concern as two-fold. 1) Just the hit from an economic standpoint and future of geothermal as an energy source. The loss of jobs, electricity,  and viability of geothermal to an already "struggling" community would be notable negatives. 2) I've read reports of volatile chemicals stored there for reasons I don't know. Someone had concerns because they had not yet seen tankers - presumably to move it all. But if the road is closed, or could be closed, that could be a problem.

• Upvote 1

Kona, on The Big Island

1 hour ago, Dypsisdean said:

"Shooting from the hip." I interpreted the concern as two-fold. 1) Just the hit from an economic standpoint and future of geothermal as an energy source. The loss of jobs, electricity,  and viability of geothermal to an already "struggling" community would be notable negatives. 2) I've read reports of volatile chemicals stored there for reasons I don't know. Someone had concerns because they had not yet seen tankers - presumably to move it all. But if the road is closed, or could be closed, that could be a problem.

https://youtu.be/fl98qbTOu6M  This video might be of use

• Upvote 2

I saw from the Puna Geothermal plant owner's website that it's listed as producing 38MW of power so would be a big loss I'm sure to the communities around there. 

I came across a number of things I found interesting/informative from the area and thought I'd share if you're looking for some quick links.

A few videos from Hawaii News Now: sights and sounds up close of gases escaping from cracks in the roadway, of the house that had the fissure errupt in the back of it. Grace Lee, an anchor there tweeted “Hawaii County firefighters say the heat at the 3rd eruption site on Kaupili Street was unlike anything they have ever experienced. That's where lava has damaged two homes according to firefighters.” And video Grace retweeted from Mahealani Richardson (VC Isaac Krakauer) of the land around one of those homes. I've seen clips of this but this video was longer and showed more.

Saw this facebook close up video of some street cracks, with view down into them (taken May 3 on Mohala Street, given we know of what happened during May 3-4 to many of these cracks and on Mohala Street rather risky move if you ended up with bad timing).

This instagram video from 6 hours ago from John Kapono Carter looks like there's been a significant outpouring of lava from one of the fissure areas and you can see the lava creeping forward kind of at a rapid pace. Most of the news accounts I've seen have said the lava wasn't advancing much so looked like maybe something new.

From what I've read this lava traveling under Leilani Estates was the result of Pu'u O'o emptying out. So where does the Halema'uma'u crater that collapsed flow to? Wasn't it responsible for the surface flow that approached the downtown of Pahoa in 2014? Wondering if it's collapse could mean more trouble for the area.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the video with Puna Geothermal and the community, Morabeza. I seem to recall seeing one or two community meeting video years ago where there was opposition to it, which I assume was what was reference to in this video.  I do wonder if the geothermal wells even though capped and shut down don't represent a weak point now beyond what the area would have had before construction. From google maps the coastline along 132/137 appears to indicate somewhat recent lava flows going out to the ocean where maybe any current flows might emerged from and instead pass the more settled, vegetative areas for erruption points. Might be simplistic reasoning on my part though.

I remember a few years back when Bo was showing the progress of clearing his land, seeing cracks though a section of it so sure a rupture could happen anywhere in the rift zone just as easily. Just today I read on the Sunday Express UK website the following: "There are lava tubes on our property," said Dale Miller, 58, a Leilani Estates resident, referring to the natural tunnels underground that drain lava during an eruption. "The whole thing is Swiss cheese". "It felt like there was something under the house - like a big snake was moving under the house," said Lee Begaye, 61, Miller's partner and housemate. The geology is fascinating and that image Begaye evoked, well pretty emotive.

• Upvote 1

Pu'u O'o has been erupting more or less continuously since January 3, 1983 (there have been a few minor interruptions of a week or so), and most of the time all the lava has been flowing down the pali towards the Pacific Ocean. It's what covered most of Kalapana in late 1990 and early 1991 and filled up Kaimu Bay with lava. About 185 homes were also destroyed in the process. Several years ago that lava flow from Pu'u O'o began to flow in a completely different direction, and this time towards the little town of Pahoa, and Highway 130, which is the "lifeline" of all of lower Puna to the rest of the island, and indirectly to the rest of the world. Without an "escape route" out of lower Puna the only ways to get out would be via sea, via air (helicopter) or by foot. Not good options! :( Fortunately that lava flow stopped, and that happened in August 2014, and it stopped only about 500 ft mauka (uphill) from the main road going through Pahoa, and less than half a mile from Highway 130. After that, it was somewhat quiet for a while and then the lava flow from Pu'u O'o resumed its "normal" flow - that is, in a southerly direction, down the pali towards the ocean. In other words, the active lava flows for the past 35 years have all been from Pu'u O'o.

• Upvote 2