IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Three interesting Rhododendrons.

Palm crazy

Here are three interesting Rhododendron species I have that are really cool. 

This first one is called R. spinuliferum with very unusual tubular flowers in red to orange. Easy to grow and one of the first to bloom that last for 3 months. 

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

• Upvote 6

This one is called R. thomsonii discovered in 1850 and has the most beautiful silvery blue oval leaves. This one grows up to 12'-15' tall.  The combination of red flowers and the yellow background will be a knock out when it blooms in a few years. 

DSC_0013.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

Rhododendron_thomsonii_ssp_thomsonii.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 6

This one is very special to me...I waited six years for this one to bloom. Colors are very tropical looking. R. cinnabarinum. All my other rhododendrons are hybrids might show them too when they bloom. 

Thanks for looking. :D

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 10

Two more plants blooming in the garden. First one is Azalea 'Golden Flare' and Rhododendron 'Medusa'.

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0013.JPG

• Upvote 3

Nice:greenthumb:

Is your "Golden Flare" or Exbury or Knap Hill hybrid?

2 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Nice:greenthumb:

Is your "Golden Flare" or Exbury or Knap Hill hybrid?

Golden Flare Azalea is an Exbury hybrid. Very fragrant and hardy up to 9b on the west coast.  Thanks for asking. :D

4 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

Golden Flare Azalea is an Exbury hybrid. Very fragrant and hardy up to 9b on the west coast.  Thanks for asking. :D

Cool, wasn't sure if the "Northern Lights" series were more popular there compared to others like Exbury. Grew "Gibraltar",and "Dawn's Chorus" in pots back in San Jose. Pretty easy when provided filtered shade in a spot that gets a little extra lawn water, and is mulched well. Very fragrant as you noted. My favorite  group of Azaleas, aside from Vireyas and the native R. occidentale.. 

Three more colorful Azaleas to look at.  

Azalea Gibraltar is Exbury hybrid.       

DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

DSC_0033.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

• Upvote 3

Azalea Mt. Saint Hellens is multi-color blooms and is stunning...is a Girad hybrid and named after one of our active volcanoes.   

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

• Upvote 2

Here is another awesome Rhododendron cinnabarinum hybrid that is really cool and tropical looking. I should have the last two plants blooming next weekend. Thanks for looking.

DSC_0025.JPG

DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0029.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG

• Upvote 3

On 5/5/2018, 8:57:57, Silas_Sancona said:

Cool, wasn't sure if the "Northern Lights" series were more popular there compared to others like Exbury. Grew "Gibraltar",and "Dawn's Chorus" in pots back in San Jose. Pretty easy when provided filtered shade in a spot that gets a little extra lawn water, and is mulched well. Very fragrant as you noted. My favorite  group of Azaleas, aside from Vireyas and the native R. occidentale.. 

Silas Sancona, Up here your in Azalea and Rhododendron territory. Pretty much every type of Azalea and Rhododendron you can imagine you can find here from special nurseries. A lot of the wholesale nursery sells a lot of cool stuff at specialty plant sales.

10 years ago 'Northern Lights' series were all the rage, lol. I wouldn't mind having a pink Northern Lights again. very Fragrant! 

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Correction: Azalea Gibraltar is actually Azalea 'Mandarin lights'.

Here is Azalea 'Mary Poppins'. 

DSC_0043.JPG

DSC_0044.JPG

• Upvote 2

The last Azalea to bloom is ' klondyke'. My other Azaleas did not bloom this year and R. medusa doesn't bloom until June so this is my last posting. Thank you for looking. Add a little color to your life that's why I grow these. :D

DSC_0026.JPG

DSC_0042.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG

• Upvote 2