IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Another Bizmarkia Question

Scott

When planning the garden, what is the width that should be given for a Bismarkia to grow in.

I have 38' length yard, and I thought of planting it between two Bambusa Oldhamii's. I've heard that 10' should be allocated for eventual growth of this giant timber bamboo.

Also, thought, if it's rhizomes upset and harmed the Bizzie, I wouldn't be happy to say the least.

Which makes me think, maybe I should just plant a few washies there instead.

My real problem is that the need for shade is the reason my prime sun area is being given over to the bamboo.

Am I trying to put too much into this area?

On one end I already have a Roebellenii (clumping),  a single Chamerops, and a King.

I still have to find space for my giant bird ( S. Nicolai), a banana, a Butia, two more Roebelenii's, and my two Queen's (only about 2' tall right now).

Planning this stuff is not as easy as I thought! ???

Thanks!

Scott

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Scott,

I would leave a good 10-12 feet so they grow properly. Plus it looks like they would be the focal point of your garden. Don't crowd them.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Dear Scott,

I fully agree with Jeff Searle.

and scott its very thoughtful of you to ask before proceeding.always ask suggestions and ideas from your friends and then do what suits your taste.

And my best wishes for your Biz(hope its a silver form)  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I got me a Biz yesterday too. Our local Home Depot sold them for 95 bucks. I couldn't resist. The Biz is quite big, probably 3 feet tall. I have the same problem with spacing. I have in my front lawn the following. A giant Crape Myrtle tree, Brahea armata, Ch. humilis, Jubaea chilensis, Phoenix (?) I don't know the species . It is grown from the seed picked from the North Shore, Oahu. There is also Mexican Grass Tree. How many feet should I plant it from the nearest palm? The note that came with the Biz says that it should be 30-40 feet, if that is so, I am in big trouble.

Anna

Ania

Houston, TX

zone 9a

"God in his wisdom made the fly

And then forgot to tell us why"

-Ogden Nash

the home depot by my house also has the 95.00 ones to  but now they say 25% off if i wait a little longer they will go to 50% off the garden worker told me.  we will see

There is also Maxican Grass Tree. How many feet should I plant it from the nearest palm?

Ania, your Dasylirion is a desert plant and is going to want full, full sun and not much water.  Make sure you plant it where there is good drainage and your palms won't shade it out.

Greenhand, are you sure your Bizzie is going to survive Dallas winters?  They are hardy to only 28 degrees.  I lived in Dallas many years ago and I remember it getting VERY cold.

Fred Zone 10A

La Cañada, California at 1,600 ft. elevation in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains just north of Los Angeles

what up fred , this bizzie is in south central tx 8b so it may have a better chance, although it will be touch and go. this cathea coopera made it from last winter at 19 deg . the bizzie would have to be procted heavely,

post-59-1154102783_thumb.jpg

Hi Scott

Sun is the best place to grow most palms. Biz, Brahea, lots of Dypsis the list goes on......get rid of the water loving bamboo and get some sun loving palms in there. Palms make the best dappled shade around!

Cheers

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Thanks for all the info!  I was looking at a web site from a garden in Thailand - not that there's any relation to Thailand and the San fernando valley, but....  The Bizmarkia's in this photo, are they fully grown? because they look very close together.

blue_palms.jpg

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Beautiful view! Looks like Nong Nooch. But considering the angle, difficult to tell the distance between the Bismarckias. My guess is that there's sufficient room between them.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

The mature Bismarckias I've seen have a spread of probably 6-8m from tip to tip, so I would plant it at least 4m from other plants if you don't want any overlap.  They grow pretty fast, so in a few years you can probably start planting understory palms below the Biz...

Jack

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Jack- 4 Meters is what I'll go by. Thanks!

Bo- That is Nong Nooch. Here is the web site that I 'lifted' that from. There's many more beautiful pictures.

Nong Nooch Tropical Gardens

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Scott,

Some rhizome barrier should keep the oldhamii in check at whatever distance you desire from the Bizmarkia.

Robert

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

Dear Scott,  :)

I have seen those nice pictures in one of our members thai visit and their date with the oranga tong ! but i should praise your presence of mind for placing that photo at right point of discussion.

And now to that photo that is a long distance ariel shot which is of no use for us to take it seriously for measuring biz distance in cultivation ?

It is clear to me that a minium of 6 to 8 feet is there.which is hidden to our eyes due to the beautiful leaves of biz almost touching each other.

love conquers all..

43278.gif