IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm Recomendations for Jacksonville, FL

Moose

I have a friend who is building a home on Amelia Island close to Jacksonville, FL. Getting close to start making the landscape plans. Please lets hear your recommendations of palms that will definitely thrive in the area. These are not people who would be willing to do anything extra in the winters, so try not to zone push with your suggestions.

Thanks.

Moose

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

12 minutes ago, Moose said:

I have a friend who is building a home on Amelia Island close to Jacksonville, FL. Getting close to start making the landscape plans. Please lets hear your recommendations of palms that will definitely thrive in the area. These are not people who would be willing to do anything extra in the winters, so try not to zone push with your suggestions.

Thanks.

Moose

Most Sabals as well as most Butias, Rhapidophylum hystrix, Chamaerops humilis, Trachycarpus fortunei should do well there.

Amelia Island is USDA zone 9a and since it should have warmer winters than Jacksonville (by a couple of degrees or so due to it being an island; Jacksonville is also 9a), almost any palm designated 9a hardy or less should do just fine (though some just never thrive in Florida weather due to humidity, etc...).

• Upvote 1

Record Low in this area is somewhere between 4F (Jax) and 14F (Atlantic Beach).  10F is a safe bet since they are near the coast. 15F is an OK mark for a "bad" winter.  USDA regards this as a 9a, so 20F if you go by that.

Safe bets: Sabal (palmetto, minor, urseana?), Butia (capitata, eriospatha, odorata, yatay), Rhapidophyllum hystrix, Chamaerops humilis, butyagrus hybrid (Mule Palm)

A little less restrictive: Butia praguayensis, Livistona chinensis, Phoenix (canariensis, dactylifera, theophrasti), Serenoa repens 'silver', Sabal mexicana, Chamaedorea (radicalis, microspadix), Trithrinax compestris?

Experimental: @DoomsDave's Franken braheas?, Nannorrhops ritchiana (with good drainage)?

Above is not meant to be all inclusive.

Full 9a list from a DB query attached.

9a_palms.xlsx

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

6 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Record Low in this area is somewhere between 4F (Jax) and 14F (Atlantic Beach).  10F is a safe bet since they are near the coast. 15F is an OK mark for a "bad" winter.  USDA regards this as a 9a, so 20F if you go by that.

Safe bets: Sabal (palmetto, minor, urseana?), Butia (capitata, eriospatha, odorata, yatay), Rhapidophyllum hystrix, Chamaerops humilis, butyagrus hybrid (Mule Palm)

A little less restrictive: Butia praguayensis, Livistona chinensis, Phoenix (canariensis, dactylifera, theophrasti), Serenoa repens 'silver', Sabal mexicana, Chamaedorea (radicalis, microspadix), Trithrinax compestris?

Experimental: @DoomsDave's Franken braheas?, Nannorrhops ritchiana (with good drainage)?

Above is not meant to be all inclusive.

Full 9a list from a DB query attached.

9a_palms.xlsx

Nice list!

There would be problems with planting some of these on Amelia Island, though.

Just now, Palmsbro said:

Nice list!

There would be problems with planting some of these on Amelia Island, though.

I certainly agree.  If you want "bulletproof", you are talking anything marked 8a or lower on the list for that region.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Mule palms all the way... They've really grown a lot on me lately, I'd definitely get several if I lived up there.

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

7 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Mule palms all the way... They've really grown a lot on me lately, I'd definitely get several if I lived up there.

I'm pushing for mule palm selection. They live blocks from me so their experience with feather leaved palms giving that tropical look is imbedded.

• Upvote 2

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Lowe’s sells Washingtonias down there for $24.  Check their website.  I think they are robustas.

Mules can be had from St Aug and they look good.  I got some from them myself.

thats what id be doing in Jax with some sabals as a backup plan.

Try mules and Washingtonias they would look really nice along with some pindos and Sabal palmetto.Also trachys silver saw palmetto, date Palms, and maybe even a high plateau coconut palm!

3 hours ago, Nj Palms said:

Chilean Wine palms

Chilean Wine Palm will hate Jacksonville heat, rain and humidity, won't it?

If these people moving to Amelia Island are not prepared to go searching far and wide for rare palms that are not readily available in decent sizes, they should stick with the standard stuff does fine on Amelia Island:

- Queen palms

- Washingtonia Robusta

- Canary Island Date Palm (I am less a fan of Sylvestris)

- Chinese Fan Palms

These species will all be inexpensive and will do fine on Amelia Island, near the Florida-Georgia coastal state line.  They can be purchased all over the region without difficulty.

For added protection against Fusarium Wilt, your friends could stick to Chinese Fan Palms and forget about the first three listed above.  Other (taller) Livistonas are hard to find in the greater Jacksonville area.

It would be surprising for temperatures to drop below 20 degrees more than once a decade on Amelia Island, even though historical records may show much colder temperatures.