pj_orlando_z9b

Coconut damage and treatment

sandgroper
3 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Wow!  Every day in your summers?  You must have REALLY DRY summers!  I water mine that are in pots every other day in the summer, but my in ground ones only once or twice a week in the summer.  My water bill would be well over $300 per month, if I watered my in ground ones ever day in the summer!

John

We have really warm dry summers here with often drying winds, it can reach 110f and as we have very sandy soils they just drain water so I make sure the coconut gets a good drink. The rest of the garden doesn't get watered as often as that but the coconut is my baby! I used to work further north in our state at a place called Coral Bay where there are a lot of coconuts and remember they used to place a running hose at the base of the palms and leave them there for a couple of hours at a time. The water was artesian water, Coral Bay receives almost no rainfall but has underground water although it's poor quality and comes straight out of the ground at around 40c. The palms there were thriving even though the water is hot and contains a high level of salt and sulphur. Coconuts are certainly a fascinating subject.

• Upvote 1

Mr. Coconut Palm
17 minutes ago, sandgroper said:

We have really warm dry summers here with often drying winds, it can reach 110f and as we have very sandy soils they just drain water so I make sure the coconut gets a good drink. The rest of the garden doesn't get watered as often as that but the coconut is my baby! I used to work further north in our state at a place called Coral Bay where there are a lot of coconuts and remember they used to place a running hose at the base of the palms and leave them there for a couple of hours at a time. The water was artesian water, Coral Bay receives almost no rainfall but has underground water although it's poor quality and comes straight out of the ground at around 40c. The palms there were thriving even though the water is hot and contains a high level of salt and sulphur. Coconuts are certainly a fascinating subject.

Damn Dave, that's not warm water, that's HOT WATER!  I am surprised it didn't burn the roots of the palms.  By the way, with a name like Coral Bay, does that area have nice coral reefs for snorkeling and scuba diving?

John

sandgroper
22 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Damn Dave, that's not warm water, that's HOT WATER!  I am surprised it didn't burn the roots of the palms.  By the way, with a name like Coral Bay, does that area have nice coral reefs for snorkeling and scuba diving?

John

Yes John, there is a really nice coral reef which runs along the coast there called Ningaloo Reef, it is the closest fringing coral reef in the world and runs for 260 kilometres. I was very lucky to be a safari tour guide for almost nine years in that part of the world, I love the place mate.

• Upvote 1

pj_orlando_z9b
54 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Wow!  Every day in your summers?  You must have REALLY DRY summers!  I water mine that are in pots every other day in the summer, but my in ground ones only once or twice a week in the summer.  My water bill would be well over $300 per month, if I watered my in ground ones ever day in the summer!

John

What are your normal summer rains like? I thought you were tropical like Florida. 

Mr. Coconut Palm
7 minutes ago, sandgroper said:

Yes John, there is a really nice coral reef which runs along the coast there called Ningaloo Reef, it is the closest fringing coral reef in the world and runs for 260 kilometres. I was very lucky to be a safari tour guide for almost nine years in that part of the world, I love the place mate.

Wow, that's great Dave!  How close to the shore is it?  Close enough to just snorkel out to it from the beach, like you can with some of the reefs in South Florida and the Caribbean Islands?

John

sandgroper
2 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Wow, that's great Dave!  How close to the shore is it?  Close enough to just snorkel out to it from the beach, like you can with some of the reefs in South Florida and the Caribbean Islands?

John

It's close enough that I could show you places where you can stand on the beach with dry feet and see tropical fish swimming through the coral! You can snorkel from the beach to see more impressive corals along with thousands of fish, sharks, turtles etc... It's really nice.

• Upvote 2

sandgroper
11 minutes ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

What are your normal summer rains like? I thought you were tropical like Florida. 

We virtually have no summer rains at all, it's quite rare but it is very hot and dry. We do have summer rains in the north of our state and no rain during the cooler months. Coconuts grow quite happily on their own there. Roughly 45% of our state lies in the tropics but because it is quite a large state, we have 15000kms of coastline, we have quite a variety in climate and the area where I live is quite different to further north in the state.

pj_orlando_z9b
37 minutes ago, sandgroper said:

We virtually have no summer rains at all, it's quite rare but it is very hot and dry. We do have summer rains in the north of our state and no rain during the cooler months. Coconuts grow quite happily on their own there. Roughly 45% of our state lies in the tropics but because it is quite a large state, we have 15000kms of coastline, we have quite a variety in climate and the area where I live is quite different to further north in the state.

I loved Australia. I worked in Canberra for a couple months. Such unique landscaping even in their relatively cooler climate (compared to most of Australia. 

sandgroper
1 hour ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

I loved Australia. I worked in Canberra for a couple months. Such unique landscaping even in their relatively cooler climate (compared to most of Australia. 

You worked in Canberra, please accept my apologies. :D 

• Upvote 1

Mr. Coconut Palm
2 hours ago, sandgroper said:

It's close enough that I could show you places where you can stand on the beach with dry feet and see tropical fish swimming through the coral! You can snorkel from the beach to see more impressive corals along with thousands of fish, sharks, turtles etc... It's really nice.

Wow!  That would be nice, and close enough to shore to teach young children how to go snorkeling, especially if the water is calm, which I assume that it is if you can clearly see the tropical fish swimming among the corals!

John