• Similar Content

• Haddock
      By Haddock
      Out of all the coconut varieties in the world, which one would you say can handle cool temps for the longest?
    • Yunder Wækraus
      By Yunder Wækraus
      A month ago I purchased a young coconut that had been grown in a grocery bag. It had terrible root wrap, and I had to sever its thicker roots, which had fused with the bag. It looked yellow and sick, but it’s putting out a new frond now. Do you think it’s going to grow out of the root-wrap stage? (I’m also including pics of my other palms, which came with the house.)

• TokyoShowdown
      By TokyoShowdown
      So a little over two years ago I was on Maui and was able to get a sprouted coconut (about 2 inches) back to my home in Montana. Last spring it grew large enough to hit my ceiling. I had a large LED grow light over it but once it grew large enough, it just shot fronds past it. Admitting it was likely the end, I put it outside during the summer. It survived, despite some of the fronds dried out from Montana's very dry climate near the mountains. However, its growth greatly slowed and I was able to bring it back in during the fall. Well, as summer approaches, the coconut palm is still alive. So basically, how long can I slow its growth without killing it? 
    • Haddock
      By Haddock
      Beccariophoenix alfredii aka “Madagascar high land coconut” is a interesting palm, but it’s cold hardiness hasn’t been fully tested. I heard it’s hardy to the lower 20s when it’s young but what about mature specimens, how cold can they handle?
    • rfielding
      By rfielding
      Hello all, 
      I'm a geographer based in South Carolina, but a Florida native, with an interest in breadfruit as a tool for food security. I'm especially interested in efforts to push the latitudinal boundaries of breadfruit, including the good work that many are doing to grow breadfruit in Florida. I'd love to hear from members of this forum on their efforts to grow breadfruit in Florida or other places where it's challenging. Feel free to reply here or email me directly at rfielding@coastal.edu. Thanks very much!
      Russell Fielding
      Coastal Carolina University