IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A Few Campus Palms - FSU.

amazondk

I came up to Florida on May 16th for my son's graduation from High School in Fort Lauderdale.  Time sure does fly.  It was a big week for him, graduation, he got his drivers license, and a car.  Then we took his new car up to Florida State University in Tallahassee for his orientation for fall semester.  It has been a while since I have driven in the States and all the traffic was a big difference from where I am driving normally.  I sure wonder where all those people are going to.  But, at least there were no crater sized holes to dodge. Nor where there any anacondas or indians.  While walking around FSU I took a few pictures of the campus' palms.  It is a beautiful school and I am sure my son will be happy there.  I am off back home to Amazonia today.

FSU1.jpg

FSU2.jpg

FSU14.jpg

FSU7-1.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

More

FSU4-1.jpg

FSU3.jpg

FSU5.jpg

FSU6.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

With all the fires around it was aa bit of smoke in the air.  I managed to get these pictures on Friday morning when the light was ok.  

FSU12.jpg

I think pine trees and palms go well together.

FSU10.jpg

FSU13.jpg

I thought this was a pretty southern flower - I always associated magnolias with the south.  

FSU11.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

And, last but not least I thought the words etched in stone on this pond were quite good.

FSU8.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don,

Congrats. to your son and wish him all the best.  :D And thanks for the tour around campus, some really large palms there.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Don,

Congrats. to your son and wish him all the best.  :D And thanks for the tour around campus, some really large palms there.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Dear Don  :)

we are very glad to hear about your son's graduation...

do convey my regards and best wishes. :)

And Dear Dean  :)

what is the problem in our server.since today all my interaction

in our discusion board are either in double entery's or trible entry.i think there are some server problem.we all are experiencing.

Thanks & Love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

great photos! Many of my friends go there and they all like it. I prefer that campus over the UF one.

I'm always up for learning new things!

Don,

Great pictures.  And congrats on your son's graduation.

FSU is an old school and was at one time the women's state college with UF being the men's college.  My grandmother actually went to FSU when it was a women's college.  

Some of those palms are very old and can be used for cold tolerance research and examples.  Tallahassee gets hard freezes almost every year.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Thanks everyone.  I really was impressed with FSU.  I think my son will be quite happy there.  Tallahassee has quite a different flavor from South Florida, which is nice.  He is going to study Business and they have a good school of business there from what I saw.  On the return there was no way I could have driven the speed limit on the Turnpike.  I would have been run over.

Now I am back in Amazonia again and will be off to dodge the anacondas soon.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Great stuff Don.  My old stomping grounds.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Can Queen palms be sucessfully grown in Tallahasee? Any examples?

What you look for is what is looking

My graduate school! Go Noles! Good Business School........and lots of womens to boot!

Queen Palms would be extremely marginal there........maybe in a good microclimate. Mules would be a much better choice.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

(amazondk @ May 27 2007,08:35)

I came up to Florida on May 16th for my son's graduation from High School in Fort Lauderdale.  Time sure does fly.  

Congratulations.  Any chance they held the graduation here at Nova Southeastern?  I swear we had one everyday over the holiday weekend.

South Florida

Mike,

They had the graduation at the Holiday Park War Memorial Auditorium in Fort Lauderdale.   It was a nice event.  Thanks, dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

FSU has a lovely old campus.  It's worth getting to know the local area, including the savannahs of Apalachicola National Forest, Wakulla Springs, Goose Pasture on the Wacissa, Apalachicola Bluffs, and the longleaf pinelands.  By the way, Prince Achille Murat is buried at the old cemetery downtown, and the Episcopal Church has a monument to the Croom family, who drowned off Cape Hatteras.  Mr Croom was an amateur botanist, and a weird little plant, Croomia, is named for him.  

And of course Hernando de Soto and his troops took over Tallahassee for the winter.  They stayed right near FSU.  

And, by the way, the "office building" with stadium stands on the roof is utterly weird.  Not to mention the 1950s science building, modern style, with a Gothic addition.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

(Dave-Vero @ May 30 2007,11:34)

FSU has a lovely old campus.  It's worth getting to know the local area, including the savannahs of Apalachicola National Forest, Wakulla Springs, Goose Pasture on the Wacissa, Apalachicola Bluffs, and the longleaf pinelands.  By the way, Prince Achille Murat is buried at the old cemetery downtown, and the Episcopal Church has a monument to the Croom family, who drowned off Cape Hatteras.  Mr Croom was an amateur botanist, and a weird little plant, Croomia, is named for him.  

And of course Hernando de Soto and his troops took over Tallahassee for the winter.  They stayed right near FSU.  

And, by the way, the "office building" with stadium stands on the roof is utterly weird.  Not to mention the 1950s science building, modern style, with a Gothic addition.

Dave,

I grew up in Perry - about 50 miles east of Tallahassee.  My family has been in that area for 7 generations.  Just about everyone in the Crawfordville and Woodville cemeteries is a relative.

My dad used to go to Wakulla Springs and watch them film the Tarzan movies with Johnny Weismuller as Tarzan.

It is a lovely part of the state, still mostly unspolied but that is changing fast.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

(palmmermaid @ May 30 2007,11:39)

(Dave-Vero @ May 30 2007,11:34)

Dave,

I grew up in Perry - about 50 miles east of Tallahassee.  My family has been in that area for 7 generations.  Just about everyone in the Crawfordville and Woodville cemeteries is a relative.

My dad used to go to Wakulla Springs and watch them film the Tarzan movies with Johnny Weismuller as Tarzan.

It is a lovely part of the state, still mostly unspolied but that is changing fast.

Geez.........we are probably related. My family is multigeneration North Floridian as well..........you're not related to any Sims or Brocks or Harrisons are you ? :)

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

By the way, the building in the first photo (the administration building) burned during the Vietnam period.  Restoration was successful.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

David,

We may be!  I will ask my mom.  I know of Rakers, Goffs, MacAllisters, Deans, Woodalls, Lawhons, and a few others.

Where are your folks from?  We lived in Destin in the early 50's when Dad was a commercial fisherman and Destin was a sleepy little fishing village.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the tour. The coillege of business here at FSU is great, that where im at currently as an undergrad.

those are the date palms which I love. tall, very old specimens which have endured many harsh winters.

I dont think the P. dacts successfully fruit here... anyone have information on this? dont they need a drier climate?

Is your son a palm nut also?

Luke~

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Luke,

I think I have driven my kids nuts out collecting plants for so many years that they really have no interest in them, at least for now.  My son is quite anxious to go to school at FSU and have for a long time wanted to study business.  He always has been the best one in the family with money.  I looks like a great school to go to.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I too went to FSU.  Go noles! Graduated in 2000 with my business undergrad and '02 with my Masters.  I married a Tallhassee local who's family was originally from Monticello and Wacissa.  She is of Boland/Brittle blood.  I just planted two queen palm seedlings at my in-laws a few months ago.  I'll let you know how they last through the Tallahassee winter.  There are two 10 - 12' specimens right down the road from their house that have lasted a few years.  They are right up against a south facing wall though.  The one thing that my in-laws palms have going for them is that my in-laws are near the top of a hill, so some of the cold should flow down hill.  That's another difference between Tally and the rest of Florida.  Tally has hills and areas with higher and lower elevations.

Don!

Best to you and your son!

Remember, no whoopee . . .  lest they be underage.  Tell him that, forcefully.

Sorry!

I hear "Pomp and Circumstance" along with the views of the first pictures.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Don, Nest time you visit Tally, make an effort to visit McClay Gardens. It is a spectacular Garden, especially in Spring.As a Gator but frequent visitor to Tally particularly when I was in college,I can assure you your son is in fertile hunting grounds! Beautiful women.

What you look for is what is looking

Dave,

My son is a bit spoiled by Brazilian girls.  It will be curious to see how he does in college there in this respect.

Bubba,

Thanks for the tip I will certainly check it out next time I get there.  The area looks to me to be one of the most interesting in Florida.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don

Thanks for the tour.   The last photo where you liked the inscription....well,...you have me curious...what does it say?   It must be written in invisible ink!  :P

Do you really dodge anacondas driving in Amazonia?  Please get photos!!   How big are they, really?   Makes my dodging little bunnies that hop out in front of me every day seem so pale in comparison!   :D

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

Don,

How long until Dad starts wearing Seminole gear?

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I did get an FSU hat.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

My graduate school, too. One of them. I spent 4 1/2 years in Tally. Most people who move there don't want to leave. But it can be cold. In the "very cold winter of 1977", when it snowed on Miami Beach and in the Bahamas, and the Germans and French were collecting relief money for the frozen USA, it got down to 7 deg F in Tallahassee. I was right there to measure it.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.