IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How Can I Fertilize Spanish Moss?

PalmTreeDude

I have a bunch of Spanish Moss up on some wood inside and it is really healthy right now, but it is getting no nutrients since it is inside, I was thinking of mixing a very small amount of orchid fertilizer with some water (maybe 1/20) so that every time I water it (spray) it gets some nutrients. Does anyone know anything else about this, is it a good idea? 

PalmTreeDude

Any tillandsia/bromeliad fertilizer should work. 

There are a lot of them you can find on-line. Here is a link to one I found on line. 

https://www.gardeners.com/buy/air-plant-fertilizer/8591759.html

26 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

I have a bunch of Spanish Moss up on some wood inside and it is really healthy right now, but it is getting no nutrients since it is inside, I was thinking of mixing a very small amount of orchid fertilizer with some water (maybe 1/20) so that every time I water it (spray) it gets some nutrients. Does anyone know anything else about this, is it a good idea? 

I am not sure if Spanish moss needs much nutrients as it doesn't seem to get any nutrients outside of rain and possibly dissolved material from whatever it hangs on.

In short, I have no idea whether this will help your Spanish moss, but it would be interesting to find out.

10 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Spray it with a 1/4% solution of 30-10-10 w/no copper.

What would copper do to it? Just curious!

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Never having seen the results of copper toxicity in Tillandsias firsthand I follow the experts lead. Any fertilizer containing more than 0.05% copper can be damaging although most all-purpose fertilizers use this safe ratio. Pressure treated lumber containing either ammoniacal copper zinc arsenate or chromated copper arsenic are also potentially lethal to Tillandsias. If a shade structure is built using treated lumber the water running down the sides has the potential to do damage. Copper is just anathema to Tillandsias.

• Upvote 2