Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

How Can I Fertilize Spanish Moss?

PalmTreeDude

I have a bunch of Spanish Moss up on some wood inside and it is really healthy right now, but it is getting no nutrients since it is inside, I was thinking of mixing a very small amount of orchid fertilizer with some water (maybe 1/20) so that every time I water it (spray) it gets some nutrients. Does anyone know anything else about this, is it a good idea? 

5150cycad

Any tillandsia/bromeliad fertilizer should work. 

There are a lot of them you can find on-line. Here is a link to one I found on line. 

https://www.gardeners.com/buy/air-plant-fertilizer/8591759.html

Palmsbro
26 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

I have a bunch of Spanish Moss up on some wood inside and it is really healthy right now, but it is getting no nutrients since it is inside, I was thinking of mixing a very small amount of orchid fertilizer with some water (maybe 1/20) so that every time I water it (spray) it gets some nutrients. Does anyone know anything else about this, is it a good idea? 

I am not sure if Spanish moss needs much nutrients as it doesn't seem to get any nutrients outside of rain and possibly dissolved material from whatever it hangs on.

In short, I have no idea whether this will help your Spanish moss, but it would be interesting to find out.

Gonzer

Spray it with a 1/4% solution of 30-10-10 w/no copper.

• Upvote 2

Missi
10 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Spray it with a 1/4% solution of 30-10-10 w/no copper.

What would copper do to it? Just curious!

Gonzer

Never having seen the results of copper toxicity in Tillandsias firsthand I follow the experts lead. Any fertilizer containing more than 0.05% copper can be damaging although most all-purpose fertilizers use this safe ratio. Pressure treated lumber containing either ammoniacal copper zinc arsenate or chromated copper arsenic are also potentially lethal to Tillandsias. If a shade structure is built using treated lumber the water running down the sides has the potential to do damage. Copper is just anathema to Tillandsias.

• Upvote 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• PalmX
      By PalmX
      Wanted to share my follow up video after my first month of using PalmGain, for those of you that were following along!

• palmie
      By palmie
      I have a mature Canary Island Date Palm that needs fertilizer badly.  The margins of the fronds are turning yellow prematurely. I finally got the right fertilizer, but I’m not sure how to apply it.  The instruction says to apply it to the area under the canopy.  But the area under canopy are mostly hedges and grass. What do I suppose to do? 
      Apply the fertilizer to the hedges and grass and hope that the wrong fertilizer won’t kill them and some will make it to the root zones of the palm??  
      Alternatively, skip the hedges and the grass, apply only to the Root Initiation Zone (RIZ) of the palm wherever possible, including the dormant aerial roots?
      I’m in South California.  The fertilizer I initially ordered was Palmgain, but it never arrived.  I went to a local store and got Palmtone (organic 4-1-5) and Epsom Salt instead to mimic Palmgain.  Since Palmtone is organic, I'm assuming it's ok to apply close to the trunk where the RIZ is.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Dimovi
      By Dimovi
      Does anyone know of or recommend mineral supplement WITHOUT any nitrogen?
      I have alkaline soil, which I am trying to acidify, but meanwhile I would like to be able to add mineral supplement without the fear of fertilizer burn.
      Iron is easy to come by at the local garden store.
      Epsom salt is a good source of Magnesium, but how about the other minerals that palms need such as Manganese, Boron, etc.
    • SEVA
      By SEVA
      I recently acquired several different Tillandsias to add to my collection.  I've included a few in the photo below.  Does anyone know the cold hardiness of the non-native forms and hybrid?  I'm thinking they aren't as hardy as our native Spanish moss, but figured I'd check if anyone on here knows.  For now, I plan to treat them like I do for my other non/less cold hardy Tillandsia species.

From left to right: Tillandsia usneoides thick form, Tillandsia usneoides native form (for comparison purposes), Tillandsia usneoides super fine form, and Tillandsia recurvata x usneoides
    • Grasswing
      By Grasswing
      Hello everyone,
      I made a small research on Palmtalk about the potting mix people use and decided that I need to upgrade my growing medium to some decent level.
      Most of the time, I was using a "palm substrate" mixed with sand, but it was really hard and heavy - as you can see here:

I have Brahea, Butia and some other subtropical palms sprouting now, so I realized they need some more mineral substrate.
      I prepared this mix: LECA (expanded clay) : perlite : pine bark : palm substrate (mostly peat) = 1:1:1:0,5

What do you think about this mix? Anything to improve, add?
      My other concern is, how is the best way to fertilize, and when to start? The mix alone doesn't provide much nutrients, on the other hand I am afraid to burn these small seedlings with fertilizer. I have some decent one 19-6-20 + 3 Mg etc.. but it is used in it's liquid form. Can I prevent the damage by diluting the fertilizer to third or maybe a quarter of the recommended dose? 
      Thanks for help!
      Ondra