IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hi! 

Just thought I'd share a couple of pics of my indoor gems, generally palms that either wouldn't survive or would look terrible outdoors in my climate...

20180422_120616-774x1032.thumb.jpg.6419e

Ptychosperma Gracile

20180422_120448-774x1032.thumb.jpg.7e014

Licuala Ramsayi

20180422_120459-774x1032.jpg.a5a8287c1e0

Chambeyronia Macrocarpa... my favourite... survives in my garden too, but hates the dry winds... and a little Pinanga Kuhli, bottom right.

20180422_120552-774x1032.thumb.jpg.6331e

Adonidia Merrilli (not a chance outdoors), with the Chambeyronia on the right

20180422_120652-774x1032.thumb.jpg.f0a56

Pritchardia Thurstoni

20180422_120637-1032x774.thumb.jpg.8cbee

Ptychosperma Bleeseri, Caryota Mitis, and Ptychosperma Elegans (at the back)

Hope you like them ;)

JanJo

20180422_120459-774x1032.jpg

Edited by Jan Jo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 11

They all look great, you have done a good job with them.

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

21 hours ago, gtsteve said:

They all look great, you have done a good job with them.

Thanks Steve ;)

Beautiful and well grown. Can any of them go outdoors in summer?

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks Meg! Well, some of them probably could, but I'd be worried about sunburn, and especially about the effect of the horrific dry winds we get on this coast sometimes... I think they're happier indoors with the fan and occasional misting ;)

I do put them out in the rain couple of times a year tho...

J

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

This looks really nice!  This is exactly what I want to do in my Apartment! And the best part about what I love is that it won't be messy with the dirt and everything. I already planted a water tap near the wall where the plants are going to be, so I'm looking forward to the automated watering system. And these plant hangers are going to be in my living room where there will be a giant east and west window so that the sunrise and sunsets will be more enjoyable.

• Upvote 1

I love the little "fence" or border you put around each.  Give them that "built in" look.

• Upvote 1

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

It will be interesting if you'll be able to keep Chambeyronia Macrocarpa as a bonsai, I mean reasonable dimensions.

I have a 14 year old Archontophoenix Alexandrae in a pot of 35cmx35cm, total height about 1.7m.

Nobody gave me any chance, bit it still looks happy.

Good luck to your Chambeyronia .

• Upvote 1

On 5/21/2020 at 11:46 AM, saradanyal94 said:

This looks really nice!  This is exactly what I want to do in my Apartment! And the best part about what I love is that it won't be messy with the dirt and everything. I already planted a water tap near the wall where the plants are going to be, so I'm looking forward to the automated watering system. And these plant hangers are going to be in my living room where there will be a giant east and west window so that the sunrise and sunsets will be more enjoyable.

Thanks! How funny, a plant hanger is my next living room idea! Look forwardto seeing your photos...

On 5/21/2020 at 9:26 PM, cristi said:

It will be interesting if you'll be able to keep Chambeyronia Macrocarpa as a bonsai, I mean reasonable dimensions.

I have a 14 year old Archontophoenix Alexandrae in a pot of 35cmx35cm, total height about 1.7m.

Nobody gave me any chance, bit it still looks happy.

Good luck to your Chambeyronia .

Hi Cristi,

Keeping my Chambeyronia as a bonsai? Nice idea but I think that ship may have sailed...

20200524_190747_copy_774x1032.thumb.jpg.cb4caef718c1c65e63da683bd9a296b2.jpg

I had to change it over to the other side of the room... it's out of control. Slow growing, but when a new leaf opens... getting close to the ceiling already!

I don't think it's often you can say it's impossible to fit your INDOOR palm into the frame of a photo... ;)

• Like 1

Here is my Adonidia Merrilli, also grown a bit, and my Pinanga (and a small Rhapis Multifida)... the rest of the palms I finally planted outside ;)

20200524_114030_copy_774x1032.thumb.jpg.05e6c22cdbde8adb3bea03306296ad06.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1