Sign in to follow this  
sandgroper

my backyard

sandgroper

Gday all, here's a few pics of my backyard, it needs a bit of a tidy up to remove dead fronds etc....but I like the overgrown look of it. I've always loved palms but don't know a great deal about them although this forum is proving to be a wealth of knowledge and I'm learning a lot here. Thanks for sharing the knowledge that you have, cheers, Dave.

1524275338965-1583333163.jpg

1524275431783-899787130.jpg

1524275502816-458534507.jpg

• Upvote 8

sandgroper

152427588014233229711.jpg

1524275928788211910492.jpg

1524275984600-1348630705.jpg

• Upvote 7

sandgroper

1524276185855449874263.jpg

15242762080702048847320.jpg

1524276254096-2046139870.jpg

• Upvote 11

GottmitAlex

Quite a nice jungle. Uber tropical. Congratulations.

• Upvote 1

sandgroper

Thanks mate, I really quite like the unstructured, overgrown jungle look, I planted every plant in these photos, there wasn’t one plant here when we bought the house 14 years ago.

• Upvote 1

DoomsDave
1 hour ago, sandgroper said:

Thanks mate, I really quite like the unstructured, overgrown jungle look, I planted every plant in these photos, there wasn’t one plant here when we bought the house 14 years ago.

Unstructured?

Mate, you rock.

More pics, sir!

• Upvote 3

sandgroper
5 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Unstructured?

Mate, you rock.

More pics, sir!

Thankyou mate, here's a few more pics.

1524301051615-1583333163.jpg

1524301097400-899787130.jpg

1524301140097-458534507.jpg

• Upvote 2

sandgroper

1524301232115-2180867.jpg

152430126944333229711.jpg

1524301338957211910492.jpg

• Upvote 2

sandgroper

Last ones...

1524301446060-1348630705.jpg

15243014789671737494661.jpg

1524301547320449874263.jpg

• Upvote 2

sandgroper

15243016115862048847320.jpg

• Upvote 2

Palmsbro

Thank your for the great pics. :greenthumb: :)

It does look great 'like a jungle' like has been said before.

• Upvote 1

DoomsDave

@sandgroper, you are a man after me’ own heart!

Your garden looks a lot like mine

A bit anarchic

• Upvote 1

DoomsDave

Here’s a shot of my place on a fine fine Sunday afternoon 

Tha big blue thing is a tarp on my roof 

image.thumb.jpg.467ef32dedc3459e97d17bad

• Upvote 4

DoomsDave

And Dypsis baronii 

image.thumb.jpg.647de71f53908e1267a0d8d3

• Upvote 3

DoomsDave

A better picture including a Chambeyronia hookeri red leaf

F92715D5-D1F3-4415-AD72-89ED3DA208D2.thu

• Upvote 2

sandgroper
5 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

A better picture including a Chambeyronia hookeri red leaf

F92715D5-D1F3-4415-AD72-89ED3DA208D2.thu

Your garden looks terrific mate, the kind of place where you could settle into a comfortable hammack and enjoy a cold beer or two on a warm day! :)  I really like the red leaf palms but haven't got one in my yard as I've been told they don't like the hot sun here.

tropicbreeze

Looks like you're  doing quite well there. Perth's a bit of a challenge (assuming you're in Perth), hot dry when a lot of palms would like hot wet. And cold wet when they'd like cold dry. But there's still plenty of options.

"...unstructured, overgrown jungle look....", You'd like my place then, although TC Marcus touched it up a little giving it a slightly "destruct-ured", overgrown jungle look. As far as the dead fronds go, I chop them up and use them for mulch, adds to that natural jungle look.

sandgroper
2 hours ago, tropicbreeze said:

Looks like you're  doing quite well there. Perth's a bit of a challenge (assuming you're in Perth), hot dry when a lot of palms would like hot wet. And cold wet when they'd like cold dry. But there's still plenty of options.

"...unstructured, overgrown jungle look....", You'd like my place then, although TC Marcus touched it up a little giving it a slightly "destruct-ured", overgrown jungle look. As far as the dead fronds go, I chop them up and use them for mulch, adds to that natural jungle look.

Yes mate, I’m in Perth, the hot dry summers aren’t too much of a drama because I can keep the palms watered, the winters are fairly short but are a bit cool and damp for the coconut so I have to look after him a bit but the others seem to do pretty well. I’ve spent a bit of time up your neck of the woods, it’s a nice spot and there are some fantastic gardens up there, I’ve always liked Darwin.